Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

compatibility questions, lots of pics

About the plants pictured below...

Would any of these plants be UNhappy in full sun outside?

Would any of them NOT like to be treated cactus-like regarding water?

Would any of them get too big within 6 months to be unsuitable for a mini garden (more than double their size?) Pots with multiple plants will be separated (for gifts, not sale) unless advised otherwise.

Do any look mis-labeled? I thought one might be but the others looked accurate using the predominance rule of google images with the tag names. Some ID'd thanks to the helpful folks here, thanks again!

Anything else noteworthy, I'm all ears. I've kept a jade plant looking and growing well for a year, but basically a succulent noob. These are all new plants within the past few months. TIA!

{{gwi:78798}}
Graptosedum

{{gwi:519685}}
Stapelia, Haworthia (waiting for warmer nights to clean it from a storm-related incident)

{{gwi:522432}}
NOID red one, Portulacaria & Crassula, Sedum
Haworthia, Kalanchoe blossfeldiana, Gasteria
Sedum, Peperomia

{{gwi:522433}}
Echeveria, Faucaria tigrina 'Tiger Jaws'

{{gwi:522434}}
Crassula 'Caput Minima', Pachyveria glauca 'Little Jewel'

{{gwi:522436}}
Kalanchoe blossfeldiana, Echeveria compressicaulis, Senecio citriformis

{{gwi:522437}}
Sedum rubrotinctum 'Aurora', Senecio Chalk Fingers 'Mini Blue', Graptopetalum paraguayense 'Ghosty'

{{gwi:522438}}
Sedeveria 'Blue Elf', Graptoveria 'Titubans', Crassula marginalis rubra 'Variegata' Calico Kitten

{{gwi:78800}}
Euphorbia tirucalli 'Firesticks'

Comments (16)

• Colleen E
    11 years ago

Well, Haworthia and Gasteria are typically shade plants or semi-shade plants, liking filtered rather than direct light, so full sun is generally out unless it's quite cool sun. But your Haworthia that is to the right of the Stapelia would be one of the few varieties that can handle some sun. I'd guess it's not going to be listed anywhere with full sun as its ideal conditions, but Haworthia coarctata forms (like yours there) are pretty durable and can handle a little more sun than most Haws. It's the windowed/transparent Haws in particular that really want a nice shaded area (and in my experience, want much more water than Haworthia coarctata), but you don't show any of those here.

Some Gasteria can pull off full sun. Would I put your particular Gasteria in full sun? Probably not. It might survive, with severe stress color in summer, but I personally wouldn't do it and that's my preference. Part shade is ideal. Your Haworthia there would like sun much more than I think that Gasteria would like it.

Oh, and I see you're in Alabama? Different/hotter ballgame than Oregon summers, though to my standards our late summers are bad. I know a lot of us on this forum have to move plants into a shaded area in the height of summer, even with fairly sun-tolerant plants.

I'd be prepared for pretty fast growth with at least the Sedums, Graptosedum, and Graptopetalum paraguayense, and definitely with 'Calico Kitten.'

"Would any of them NOT like to be treated cactus-like regarding water?" These aren't cacti, so no, I wouldn't treat them as such. I'd water when dry. But Mr. 'Firesticks,' though I haven't grown him, I'd guess he's your man if you want little water and full sun.

EDIT: Oh. I totally overlooked the small Haworthia in the box. I'm not sure what it is, but I don't think it's windowed, from what I can see. I'm guessing similar to Haworthia coarctata and can be treated similarly, though I'm wondering if it has already developed a tan/brown hue from sun stress where it has been. Ladies and gentleman smarter than I will be of better help.

This post was edited by teatree on Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 0:28

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Teatree, thank you so much! That's exactly the kind of info I need to start planning these mini gardens, extremely helpful. The one I'm making for myself will be big enough for one end to be in a lot more shade, so trying to group only the real sun lovers in the gift planters, and of course decide which plants go at which end of mine.

That little Haw in the box may or may not make it. Got it in trade and it's had kind of rough conditions here the past month, my fault. Knowing that it may not like full sun should help me help it recover.

My phrasing of the watering question is not really what I meant, probably should have waited until this morning to type that. I'm using my jade plant as a baseline for watering, it's doing well the past year, but probably would be dead if it was a real cactus. So I guess I should ask, if I treat the plants above like the jade regarding water, should that go well?

I'm also assuming these plants would also be happy in the same type soil mix as jade, am I on the right track?

• Colleen E
    11 years ago

I'd say about the same type of soil mix as your jade, probably, if it's in the right kind of mix! :) I personally water my jades quite a bit less than other things, but I don't wait until their soil is dry; I wait until there's just a slight, slight give to the leaves (when they're not quite as fat as they'd normally be) to water. I learned holding off until the jade's leaves are wrinkled is too long, but I generally wait until the leaves tell me to water. I don't look for cues like that with my other plants because the cues really aren't there other than the plants getting withered and not doing well. I water them according to soil dryness alone.

I should mention, I'm not sure what type of Sedum that is, but there are a few Sedums that don't do well in full sun. I bought one two summers ago at a nursery and didn't pay much attention to the fact that it was in part shade because other Sedums I'm familiar with were there and the nursery staff isn't very well-educated on succulents. Then got it home, acclimated it to full sun, and it was fine until we hit 80 degrees and full sun completely melted the plant. Haven't had that issue otherwise, though. Most are sun lovers (Sedum rubrotinctum has had no issue).

In the box in a circular pot are two small plants together, and I can't tell you what those are. I can't tell. But if that's 'tricolor' jade on the right (Crassula ovata ssp. obliqua f. variegata cv. 'Tricolor'), I've read only part sun is recommended for it. I find that to be a semi-fussy plant. Also not sure what the Echeveria is to the left of that pot, in the box, but I'd say part sun.

Don't give up on the little Haworthia. It might have been too much sun and too little water.

This post was edited by teatree on Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 11:48

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again! I'm feeling much more confident and actually happy to hear that less sun is probably best for a lot of these. I don't want to give people something that needs to be watered too often from the sun baking/drying it out, but want the plants to look their best. If these plants will do well with 4-5 hours of sun, that would be perfect. It's already been 80 degrees here this year.

I realize the exact interval can't be compared, but it sounds like using the same degree of dryness as jade will do well, don't let mine get as dry as yours, but the intense heat and sun really dries things quickly here.

I've used Sedums outside for years, and was pleasantly surprised to find that they also come in tiny, tender "house plant" types. Such wonderful colors on just the leaves, then some kind of flower, can't be beat!

Sounds like I may have been cooking that red Ech and traded Haw, will back off.

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Jade watering for the stapelia is about the same in the manner of like a jade it will let you know if it needs water by it's rippled to wrinkling fingers.
    Heat and sun by Jade standards
    Stapelia isn't even close would boil roots if that hot at best I can be corrected but suggest bright sun in cooler shaded areas of 6 to 8 hours during hottest temps of day if outside.
    Flowers are also much brighter and bigger than a jade flower and a bit more smelly

Fire sticks it loves heat even the the name says it all. Might be best to keep this one separate it has a very good reputation of being one nasty plant, would do well with as little as four hours in areas of light shade.
    Watering : In a container... It's difficult to underwater this euphorbia but you'll certainly know if you over watered it .

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

Love thecolors on that first one,all are nice plants though.
    Kathi

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, MrLike! So this Stapelia thing isn't a cactus, can't handle a lot of direct sun? And I was googling - this is what is referred to as carrion flower? Not sure this is suitable for a mini garden. How long until my little plant looks like the 2nd one down? Months, years, a decade? Is the sideways growth what these usually do?

What does fire sticks do that is nasty?

Thanks, Kathi!! That was all green when I got it in Jan. Had I known it would turn purple, I might have gotten two. Have since seen that it propagates very easily and there are a few babies around here already. If it hadn't been so cold lately, I'd rinse the pollen off of it. Not getting anybody wet right now.

• chloeasha
    11 years ago

Ohhhh stapelia! Exciting!

That little hawthoria I gave you needs part sun/shade. I found out the hard way it fries in high light. it should be a bright green :) That is its adult size too, the largest one you have of the trade I mean. it just makes a thick colony.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! I would have asked but thought I knew, as you see. See what happens when one assumes!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Like before, I need to separate any incompatible plants from the rest of the new herd...

Any that will grow too fast for a mini garden (more than double size in one summer?)

I forget his name:
    {{gwi:69033}}

Haworthia fasciata:
    {{gwi:69034}}

Echeveria Mazarine:
    {{gwi:522439}}

Pachyveria 'Blue Pearl':
    {{gwi:522440}}

Crassula platyphylla:
    {{gwi:522441}}

Crassula tetragona:
    {{gwi:69036}}
    Sedum clavatum:
    {{gwi:522442}}

Echeveria azulita:
    {{gwi:522443}}

Sedeveria 'Sorrento':
    {{gwi:522444}}

Echeveria:
    {{gwi:522445}}

Haworthia retusa:
    {{gwi:69039}}
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    {{gwi:522446}}

Echeveria peacockii:
    {{gwi:522447}}

Crassula 'Springtime':
    {{gwi:522448}}

Echeveria 'Melaco':

Adromischus cristatus 'Key Lime Pie':
    {{gwi:69041}}

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

I know this is an older post,but on the weekends I tend to look back at some of the older ones.I just noticed that all your pots have the plant name on them.May I ask where you shop to get those.The most it will say on my pots is sedum or crassula etc,never the plant name.
    Kathi

• lme5573
    10 years ago

These aren't my plants, but I get ones just like this at Home Depot. The link on the left hand side of the label is cactuscollection.com

I never shop at Walmart or Lowes so I don't know if they carry this brand, too.

Hope this helps.
    Lennie in Michigan

Here is a link that might be useful: cactuscollection.com

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    10 years ago

I know what you mean, Kathi! Lowe's in Cape Coral gets their succulents and cacti from Altmann Plants in Vista, CA. They all come well labeled and they have a good selection. Home Depot gets theirs from Costa in Miami. They are all labelled "succulent or cactus."

I wish we had a nursery that grew something besides palm trees. LOL

Original Author
    10 years ago

Lennie, that's right. I've seen cactuscollection.com plants at WM and L's, that's where these came from. There's no HD to visit, and the one garden center in town only does outdoor plants. The other garden center close enough to visit (90 minutes away) doesn't label their plants at all.

IMO, cactuscollection.com blows Costa farms plants away. The Costa plants almost always have scale.

You can buy plants directly from cactuscollection.com but they're $1 more than at WM. Plus postage. I go by one particular WM once a week and these plants aren't being replenished. Yet, anyway. They're never without Pothos or Sans though. Yawn!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Before a bee flies in your mouth,..I'd like to show you something Purp...

I had no idea that I would ever meet a sans that blew my mind(even if this meeting was vicariously through other people's pics).

You've probably already been here but check this out...

Here is a link that might be useful: OMG what a cool sans

Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL I know there are other Sans in the world. But WM doesn't! That IS definitely an unusual one.