Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hanzrobo

Haworthia Leaf Removal

hanzrobo
11 years ago

Hey, everybody! Today, I took the opportunity to remove an offset that looked like it was trying to escape its clump. I think it's a type of Haworthia mutica. Well, I took Norma's advice and used a razor blade to carefully remove a couple leaves and took some photos along the way. Thank you, Norma, for inspiring me to get surgical and take extra care. All credit for this goes to you. I hope this helps people and turns out to be a successful method!

Clump
{{gwi:522725}}

Going to remove 2 leaves from this.
{{gwi:522727}}

Leaf wraps around stem about 50-60%
{{gwi:522729}}

other side
{{gwi:522732}}

I found this on the ground. It's the woody base of and old Gasteria flower stem. It worked really well to clean up the stem and leaves before operation.
{{gwi:522734}}

I thought the stick would work well for sliding between the leaves to work the edges loose - I was wrong. The leaves wrap each other tightly at the base and easily crack when bothered. I ended up just carefully cutting the entire leaf away from the stem. All I had was a razor blade but an Exacto knife or a scalpel would have been better. I accidentally cut the leaf underneath the first time. It didn't go so bad...
{{gwi:522735}}

side view of cut leaf
{{gwi:522737}}
stem after removing leaves
{{gwi:522739}}

rooting hormone powder...
{{gwi:522741}}

and presto!
{{gwi:522743}}

The only area of debate, I think, would be wether or not to let the cuts callus on the leaf before placing in soil. Someone extremely knowledgeable on the subject told me it's not necessary. The soil is dry and will stay that way until I see signs of rooting. I plan on doing quite a bit more of this so we'll get to measure results soon enough!

Please jump in if you have anything to add. Thanks!

Comments (52)

• rosemariero
    11 years ago

Great tutorial, Ryan...visually & otherwise! =)

One thing, though...I have/have these Haworthias...and used to think they were H. mutica (var. mutica). When Rudolf Shultz' book came out (Haworthia for the Collector), I found it listed as "a compact form of H. retusa var. retusa. The have tiny cilia on leaf edges, whereas mutica does not.

• Christine
    11 years ago

Love your photo-illustrated how-to lessons! As a lurker who is trying to learn before buying and killing C&S plants, can you explain why you put the leaves in dry soil (I root other types of plants in moist mix)?

• Christine
    11 years ago

Love your photo-illustrated how-to lessons! As a lurker who is trying to learn before buying and killing C&S plants, can you explain why you put the leaves in dry soil (I root other types of plants in moist mix)?

• Colleen E
    11 years ago

Wondrous experiment. Inspired, I did the same thing today, but with a good dozen different Haw leaves. Also was happy to see that a H. pygmaea leaf I accidentally knocked off my one little plant about two weeks ago already has a tiny root developing.

I was wondering about the var. mutica--versus retusa thing, RoRo, because I'm pretty sure I have this same variety (and I removed pup leaves from it today).

• Microthrix
    11 years ago

Keep me updated with this guys. I need to make sure it 100% works. Id love to experiment, but i dont have an abundance of haworthias, or a very large one.

• salt_creep
    11 years ago

When it works, the results are so delightful!
    {{gwi:522745}}

• Colleen E
    11 years ago

^ Oh, what a great reward alright! I'll be so thrilled if I have success.

• salt_creep
    11 years ago

Check out this video on Haworthia Propagation

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Very nice hansrobo. Also, Very interesting video. One cuts the oposite side of the stem from the main body of leaf. The leaf must make a ring around the stem. I do not know german. Does any one know what "drug zand" is? I gather some kind of sand. It is surprising that one gets multiple babes off of one leaf.

• rosemariero
    11 years ago

Neat-O info! Thanks for the link to the video, Ken.

Mara, in Dutch...

in droog zand of eerst laten drogen

translates to:

in dry sand or first let dry

• hanzrobo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everybody, for the comments! Thanks also for the photo and great video, Ken! That's very helpful. The H. limifolia he uses for the vid, though, has tougher leaf edges... less likely to crack when you pull on them like he's doing.

I only see one question from Donna...
    Donna, the reason to keep your soil dry until roots develop is: no amount of moisture can be absorbed until a root appears. Until then, you're just increasing the chance of rot.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    11 years ago

Well, Ryan, now the bug has bitten me, too. I just have to wait until some warmer weather happens around here. then I will have the room in the greenhouse and a better chance of something positive happening! I know you'll keep this going with your progress because we all want to see the results....

• hanzrobo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's an update! One leaf survived, I moved it to a shared pot with some other leaves a few months ago. It's the only thing left in the pot.

• hanzrobo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The leaves from Howard's H. comptoniana are doing very well! Only one pup so far but all the leaves are rooted.

• hanzrobo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

...and while we're at it, H. 'Sizunami' leaves are propping like hotcakes! Mad props!

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Looks great... I must really be over the hill, Ryan, because I don't recall sending that one to you.

• hanzrobo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Howard! Yes, it was you who offered it up and I was the lucky recipient. It recently bloomed and I was able to cross it with a maughanii that technically belongs to Jeff. I guess that means you two are parents!

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Ahhh to be a grandparent...again! So does it look like you're going to have pods? Sounds like an interesting cross... round windows with great markings.

Oh, and don't ask me to babysit... at my age, I'm having a hard enough time caring for myself!!!!

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Sun, Nov 3, 13 at 16:20

• hanzrobo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey, y'all! I just wanted to share some progress on these puppies. Here are the H. comptoniana from Howard. We have 3 new plants so far! It's nice because I don't think this plant will offset on its own.

• hanzrobo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are the H. 'Sizunami', proving to be very eager.

• hanzrobo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

... and, here are the offspring from Howard's H.comptoniana X Jeff's H. maughanii who's just here on vacation and got knocked up.

Small yet, but full of potential, as with all children of love.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Ryan, the cross is VERY exciting, indeed! I didn't realize you had crossed the plants... So do the grandparents get to have visitors????? LOL

I wonder if the new offsets for the H.comptoniana will be large leafed as the parent plant and how this will impact the cross????

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

'knocked up on vacation' - I wonder how you know my plans so well.

I never did do the leaf propagation before, so it's great to get a primer on it - wait, how do I get SouCal weather in January.....

Great status report, Ryno, and the crosses are exciting.

• tneomi
    10 years ago

A beginner question:
    I read that I should lay a succulent leaf on the ground and not to stuck it in.
    Here I see that you put the leaf tip into the ground
    Is the latter is the preferred method for any succulent plant?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

O this is cool. TY for posting it!

10 years ago

Tneomi,

With Gasteria and Haworthia leaves, it's better to insert them slightly into the soil. With leaves of Crassula Family members, you can either lay them on the surface or insert them slightly.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

If anyone is interested, this is what Ryan's H.comptoniana looked like prior to removing some leaves. Mine is in a 4" pot.

Ryan, how is your "mother" plant looking?

• tneomi
    10 years ago

Thanks a lot cactusmcharris

• hanzrobo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys!

Howard, I doubt any of the offspring will be as big as the colossus, comptoniana. It will take years but it could be very interesting to select the biggest of the offspring and cross that back with a standard maughanii. In a few generations, we might be able to develop a HUGE maughanii! That would be something. I've seen a photo of a really big one in Japan, I think it was called 'Mammoth'.

Jeff, you know things are extra fertile around here. Hide your kids, hide your wife.

Here are both parents. Mine is also in a 4" pot and has beefed up nicely. It's in bloom right now and I'm crossing it with another very nice Haworthia that I've had lots of trouble IDing.

• hanzrobo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

and here's what I'm crossing the comptoniana with now. Any ID suggestions would be helpful.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

I can understand how hard it is to ID these, especially when there can be variation from plant to plant.... I have two plants both named H. emeylae that look nothing like one another. So maybe one is mislabeled. Whatever your plant is, the cross should be exciting. Thanks

{{gwi:522751}}
    {{gwi:522752}}

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Ryan

what a great nursery. So good to see follow-up. You can always be counted on with your great pictorials.
    And you are great matchmaker!

Good looking plants Howard, whatever they are.
    Congrats to you & Jeff to being multi-grandpaps.

You guys are funny...Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Tue, Jan 21, 14 at 18:46

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Howard, plant in your top pic, I believe is Haworthia pygmaea f. crystallina (I have also found some list as Haworthia pygmaea var. pygmaea).

I'll have a look at ideas for your other --or Ryan's mystery a bit later. Have to run to ranch now. Horse with a torn tendon-ouch!

Nice plants, all! Great pictorial! Yes, you guys are funny! Keep it up!! =)

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Just a pic of a possible ID for the unknown?????

H. rubicunda or maybe a clone of a retusa or maybe H. mutica v mutica????????

BTW: This is NOT my picture.

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Wed, Jan 22, 14 at 15:35

• hanzrobo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Howard and Ro. I feel like I'm so close! It's funny because this was an Altman's plant and there had to be a bunch of them that were distributed. I bought it at Lowe's and there were a bunch of them that season... never saw them again. Also, forgot to save the ID. It probably said Haworthia sp. anyway.

• hanzrobo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rina,

Thanks for your encouragement. It's really nice to know that people are enjoying this stuff. As for matchmaking, I makes what I can gets!

-Ryan

10 years ago

And he can gets a lot, Rina. Ryan doesn't know it, but he's going to get another Moneyii to Monkey with.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

I believe Ryan's that "and here's what I'm crossing the comptoniana with now. Any ID suggestions would be helpful" plant & Howard's (as well as one I have, are all Haworthia emelyae (an old form).

• Colleen E
    10 years ago

You're having just way too much success, Ryan. It's great. :)

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

More: I think I may have mentioned this to you before about this plant (Ryan-having same looking plant as mine)...originally tagged as H. mirabilis v. badia. Which, I believe you will find pix online of same looking, because those people bought it tagged as such. But...I believe if that were it...leaves would have distinct lines on clear windows. Still leaning toward H. emelyae. Click for larger view:
    {{gwi:522753}}

• hanzrobo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Colleen:) Oddly, it's been a great winter for growing.

Ro, thank you for putting so much effort into the ID! I think I remember seeking this ID before so I'm sorry if this is the second time I've put you through this. Your plant does look just like mine, with more sun. I could only find on other image with that title - link below. The TusconGardener person says they bought it at Home Depot. I bought mine at Lowe's and I would guess that yours is an Alman's plant as well, if it was labeled the same way. Every other image I can find of H. mirabilis var. badia looks like a different plant, like the H. badia I'm familiar with - a very distinguishable form. I'm also still leaning towards H. emelyae, but what form??? I really want a proper ID on this because I've already sown some of its seed and now I'm making more.

Here is a link that might be useful: H. mirabilis var. badia

• hanzrobo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

and here's another link to a post by Paul with the same plant! It looks like it was tagged H. emelyae.

Here is a link that might be useful: September, 2010

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Ryan, I trust you won't be upset but I happened upon this article and thought it of interest as a side line to your propagation project. There are two articles:

http://www.gerhardmarx.com/2013_02_01_archive.html

• hanzrobo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Howard, I already have that page bookmarked. Gerhard Marx is considered by many to be the greatest grower of Haworthias in the world. I tend to agree with that.

• hanzrobo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I figured it out, you guys! I randomly - figured - it - out!

My mystery Haworthia pictured above is H. magnifica var. acuminata, not a doubt in my mind. What a relief, I tell you. Now both parents are accounted for.

I have 2 Haworthia seedlings that are my only successes from my first attempt at Haworthia from seed. One of them is H. magnifica var. acuminata. I looked it up to see what my plant should look like when it's grown up, and presto! There it is.

10 years ago

I believe you meant to say, sir, 'Whoop, there it is'. And so there it was.

Vancouver J

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Yay, Ryan! I will just say what I found in my Haw book:

Bayer (2008) suggested the magnifica varieties acuminata, dekenahii & splendens be put into H. pygmaea.

So (I see the flecking better now) yours should be H. pygmaea v. acuminata.

• hanzrobo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Haha, whoomp indeed!

Ro, thanks for the additional info. I do have to say, not everyone follows Bruce's suggestions. I don't know enough to find myself on either side of the fence but the question is worth further inquiry. Now that I have some names I can ask Señor Martillo next time I see him.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Ryan, I meant to ask you how old the two seedlings are? I know your growing conditions can make a BIG difference as compared to mine.

• hanzrobo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Howard, these seedlings are 2.5 years. If I knew then what I know now, they'd probably be twice as big. I'm pretty sure I can get the same development in 1 year now. We'll find out in a few months.