Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunrisesaloon

Sempervivum Identification from Point Reyes CA

Sunrise Vineyards
11 years ago

Hello,

On March 15th, We visited the Point Reyes lighthouse along coastal Northern California in Point Reyes Station CA. While there, we found numerous attractive Sempervivum growing among the rocky landscape. A small sample wound up in my carry on bag on the flight back to Western New York. Can anyone tell me anything about this particular variety? The leaves are very plump and are a beautiful gray green which fades into attractive maroon tips.

Are these native to the Point Reyes area or were they introduced? Does anyone know what variety it is? Can it survive the winters here in Western New York (Zone 6) or should it stay potted and protected?

Thanks in advance!

Kevin

This post was edited by kevin-m on Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 22:44

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Sunrise Vineyards
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dudleya Farinosa from Point Reyes California (edited)

This post was edited by kevin-m on Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 15:06

• Microthrix
    11 years ago

Not a sempervivum. Maybe a dudleya? I saw a few dudleya growing around over there. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't do well in zone 6, as point Reyes is right by the ocean, and it most likely doesnt ffreeze. So maybe it can take a light frost, but not what zone 6 will throw at it.

• PRO
    Sunrise Vineyards
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Microthrix,

Thanks to you (correcting the plant species for me) I was able to finally identify it.

It is a Dudleya Farinosa - hardy to USDA Zone 9 - 11.

I found the information below -

"Powdery Dudleya (also known as Powdery Live Forever or Bluff Lettuce) "D. farinosa" is strictly coastal, with populations at the Point Reyes Lighthouse and elsewhere. Dudleya Farinosa grow as far north as Oregon."

Thanks Again!

Kevin

This post was edited by kevin-m on Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 15:04

• PRO
    Sunrise Vineyards
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Microthrix,

Do have any care tips for my Dudleya Farinosa?

Thanks,
    Kevin

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Kevin,

I did as you did, but it's not right. I hope you don't do it again.

That said, Dudleyas (a winter-grower) would be difficult to grow where you are, but not impossible. Warmth, plenty of sun and some water in winter, dry pretty much from May to September, and it should grow. Not well, but it should grow.

Real Sempervivums (a related genus to Dudleya, as both are in the Cruassulaceae), OTOH, will grow fabulously in the ground for you. I've got 50 or so there, but I want to get all 1500.

• PRO
    Sunrise Vineyards
    Original Author
    11 years ago

cactusmcharris,

You are right, but it was a spontaneous decision to take one on our way out of the park.

I was going to keep it potted. I planted it in cactus soil.and I figured I would keep it barely moist with occasional water sprays now and then .

Being a winter grower, I was going to keep it in an eastern facing window during the winter time.

Should it be kept outdoors in the summer? Any protection from too much heat or sun?

This post was edited by kevin-m on Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 1:36

• PRO
    Sunrise Vineyards
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dudleya Farinosa from Point Reyes CA. Picture taken April 5th 2013. I'm not sure, but it looks like it may have some slight growth here.

• PRO
    Sunrise Vineyards
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Update 08/30/2013
    My Dudleya Farinosa seemed to only sustain during the summer months here in Western New York while growing outdoors with new leaves replacing older dried up leaves.

Now that the days are getting shorter and the nights cooler, I noticed a growth spike in my Dudleya (as seen from the pictures). I did lose the nice red blush on the leaves though. I am hoping the red blush comes back during the winter months while It grows indoors.

Kevin

This post was edited by kevin-m on Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 2:46

• PRO
    Sunrise Vineyards
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Picture #2

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Looks like your Dudleya is growing well for you. Congratulations! Quite a feat for NY! =) I'm afraid your plant will not go back to looking like it did when you found it, unless it is grown in the same conditions of neglect...lots of sun & little water.

• mordecaitaz1970
    8 years ago

What soil did you use?

• ca_sunflower
    8 years ago

How does a 'small sample' wind up in ones carry on?

• paracelsus
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Oh, let it go, sunflower. A 'sample' like we see here didn't do the genetic population of these plants any harm. Of course, if everyone did it, it might be damaging to the wild ecology. But everyone doesn't do it. So let it go.