Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jade_man

Supposed to be variegated jade.

jade_man
14 years ago

I started these plantlets about a year ago. they are starting to get to a good size. but they are not variegated. i was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. will they show variegation later? will they stay green? If they stay green i think that would be quite interesting. since they still have there pointed leaves. and that leads to my last question. does anyone know of a jade that has solid green leaves that are pointed?? any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Plantlets

{{gwi:523397}}

Plantlets

{{gwi:523399}}

Mother Plant

{{gwi:523401}}

Comments (23)

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

I never seen any kind of 'Jade' that looks like that, look up 'Tailor's patch' yep I remembered it is C. lactea, pointed tips, and white stiching on the borders. Mine is not showing the hydraoides at this time of the year I'm getting it ready for summer It is not recognized in the new Crassula book. I found it in Herman Jacobsen's book. Lexicon of Succulent Plants. It is also recognized in Toelken's book. I checked this out in three books for you. I hope it will a help. It is not an C. ovata. Norma

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

Crassula obliqua seems to be the plant.
    It looks as though your plantlets have lost their variegation, but have gained deep-purple underleaf coloring in trade.
    If you want to propagate the variegated pattern, take slightly longer tip cuttings.

Cool plants!

Josh

• jade_man
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i failed to mention that i started them from single leaves from my crassula ovata cv. tricolor.

• rosemariero6
    14 years ago

That was the question I was going to ask, if you were certain they came from your "mother" plant in the pic. I don't believe I've seen a C. o. 'Tricolor' revert to green with purple undersides. Nice plants!

(Norma, I believe you meant "hydathodes", not "hydraoides"...if someone wants to look up the meaning.)

• jojosplants
    14 years ago

I have a leaf doing the same thing! I rooted it, and it's green.

I will try and get pics as soon as possible..

JoJo

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

Thanks for the correction, I just made it a plural incorrectly. I had Websters right in front of me, I'll sign up for a English class as my second language. You must remember this is not my whole life. Just a part of it. Just you knew what I meant. LOL

• sam268
    14 years ago

They don't look like to be Crassula ovata from the first pics and even the mother jades looks a bit different.

See pictures of Variegated jades from this link below.
    They don't shows the little white spec on the leaves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Variegated jade pics from another post

14 years ago

Sam, there's not a single obliqua in the Thread you linked - those are Crassula ovata 'Peek' or 'Jade Peek,' I believe.
    Norma provided the name, in fact. Definitely not what Jade Man has shown us.

It is commonly noted that uniquely patterned/colored plants will sometimes revert when grown from leaves.

Longer cuttings are taken to avoid this possibility.

Josh

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

They do show those specks if grown in the Eastern States and overwatered. Those are the pores that are ozzing out excess moisture. The mother plant could have been a hybrid taking after the mother variegated plant, I have never seen that happen, that doesn't mean that is can't. it is a very cool plant so keep an eye on it. You now have me thinking about what mine will grow from just a leaf. It sure gives me food for thought. Norma

• jade_man
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i noticed that i had a picture of these same plants from about 6 months ago. in this picture you can see the variegated leaves from which they grew. (my wife broke those leaves in half wile closing a window) all the rest of the plants are cuttings from my mother plant. c. ovata "tricolor"

the white spots on the tops of the leaves i believe are from hard water, they wipe off with a damp cloth. the spots on the underside of the leaves are green and only visible on the leaves that have taken on the purple or pink color. i can see them on my hummel's suunset too. i am very careful not to over water my jades of which i have quite a few. i always allow each of my jade to dry completely and leaves to soften before they are watered again. and these particular plants were largely ignored for most of there lives, there starter leaves actually dried up.

{{gwi:523403}}

{{gwi:523405}}

14 years ago

Great stuff, Jade Man!
    My 'Hummel's Sunset' looks exactly like yours with the red-stitched margins!

Yesterday I saw both the variegated and green version of the Jades you've shown above.
    The plants were all very large at my local nursery, so both versions are being
    propagated (in California at least).

You're watering just right, too. Wait for the leaves to lose turgidity, then water thoroughly.
    This way, you never over-water.

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Wow what a beautiful Jade!!!! Great work!@!

Mike..:-)

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Very cool Jades, Jade Man! I never knew you can root the tricolor and end up with solid green...very interesting! Very Nice Jades! Thanks for sharing!

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

Sports often revert back.
    Crassula ovata = the following names. Crassula argentea, C. portulacea, C. obliqua,C.artiulata, C. nitida C.arborescens, C. lucens all of these name have been acceptedm but not sold with these names. Norma

• jade_man
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thank you everyone for your time and responses!

I do hope these young plants stay as they are. i like the look of the all green pointed leaves.

13 years ago

Thanks for sharing your cool plants, Jade Man!

I'm sure they'll stay green.

Josh

• binlin
    13 years ago

Many variegated plants are actually chimeric, meaning that they contain two or more types of genetically different cell lines.

Variegated cultivars arise when a genetic mutation in the apical meristem of an embryonic plant results in a pigment deficient cell. The apical meristem consists of 3 distinct cell layers (L1, L2 & L3, from the leaf margins inward), each responsible for the formation of a different part of the mature leaf. L1 mutations affect the leaf margins, L3 mutations affect the center of the leaf, and L2 mutations affect the space between L1 and L3. Different variegation patterns depend on which mutations are present in each meristem layer.

When raised from a single leaf, the plantlet arises from clonal reproduction of a single cell within the leaf to generate a new apical meristem. The reason your plantlets have "reverted" to a wild-type green coloration is simply because chlorophyll deficient mutants are less genetically fit than their wild-type counterparts and thus much less likely to survive. This means that that a wild-type cell is much more likely to become the progenitor of the new apical meristem. The creation of a variegated plant from this sort of propagation is not impossible, but requires that another mutation occur in the L1, L2 or L3 layer of the new plantlet during its embryonic stages, and is therefore extremely unlikely. This is why variegated cultivars are generally reproduced through division, thus preserving the cellular organization in the meristems.

• jade_man
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thank you for your explanation. that is very interesting. i think that is why my hoya carnosa "rubra" has that one very variegated leaf, all the rest just have a spot here and there. that leaf was probably where that plant started.

Thank You.

Doug

13 years ago

Jade Man,
    Hoyas are notorious for reverting if they don't receive enough light.

Josh

• prayerrock
    13 years ago

Most the time a variegated jade leaf will not produce a variegated plant. They are very well known for reverting to the green. I have had many do this. The only way I have been able to get a C.oblique of my mother C.oblique plant is to take a tip cutting. The tip cuttings dont revert back like leaves do.

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Here are a few of mine that I started.

2 reverted, 1 is fine.

{{gwi:523407}}

{{gwi:523409}}

{{gwi:523411}}

{{gwi:523413}}

They still have the leaf attached and you can see they were variegated.. :)

From now on it's a tip.

JoJo

• jade_man
    Original Author
    13 years ago

very nice! thanks for showing your pics!

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Hi Jade man,
    Thank you!
    I can understand your frustration when I've been looking at these for months wondering the same things as you..lol!

When they get bigger, i'm going to take a leaf and root and see what happens. :)

JoJo