Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone else being garden spammed?

Posted by GermanStar 9b (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 1:24

I'm getting loads of garden-related spam, a recent development, and I'd love to finger the perp responsible. Could be a forum, could be a vendor, no idea really....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone else being garden spammed?

I haven't received any.

Christopher

o

Hi, I have been also...I posted about it before.....
I get alot of e-mails that look like there from people on the GW....and its not, its from amazon, or its from fox network, or just crap from garden related sites,or there selling pills to loose weight or grow hair....I too would like to know how to stop it all...sometimes I will have 30 to 40 e-mails.....YUCK......linda

o

I have not had any "garden" related spam, but I have had an increase it electronic type (Sony, etc.) email lately. I think I narrowed down my culprit by dates...the time I registered online for my new HP printer. During registration process, I either checked or didn't uncheck the box allowing for email from partners of the HP company. Have you registered anything online lately? (Maybe ordering something online might cause this too?)

o

It's not GW or any of the forums I visit. My spam is surprisingly light on anything related to gardening, but I do get a lot of it! Luckily my mail problem is almost 100% accurate at weeding it out, but I do glance at it. Once in a great while, a real message gets stuck in there.

o

No spam here, but it is an occasion to ask yourself if it's got much spam in it.

o

When I created my login for GW, I got a confirmation from iVillage; clearly this site is affiliated with iVillage. I would check out the setting in your profile (see "My Profile" at the top left of the page). You can uncheck the box that asks if you want to receive promotional emails. Make sure nothing has been reset; that could be what led to the spam.

o

^ Good idea, but no, not that. Here is an example of one I get several times per day.

"The Best Expanding Garden Hose"

o

GS,

And you have your pop-up filter on?

Maybe someone's overly concerned about how you cover your feet.

o

Here's another one.

Blah blah blah - Starts Growing in Just 5 Days

Get beautiful green grass all year round. Developed by scientists, Blah blah blah works in the toughest terrain from sandy soils to high traffic areas. You'll be amazed how it multiplies rapidly to fill in bare spots and choke out weeds. Now you can keep your lawn's color and texture through every season.

o

It really sounds like you've made a purchase from somewhere and unknowingly managed to get your email address onto the wrong list!

A lot of those types of emails have an unsubscribe link in the fine print on the bottom. It might be worth clicking through and removing your email from those lists when possible.

o

Clearly they don't know you and your non-existent yard, eh?

o

It's small, but I assure you, it exists.

o

hi, if this works you can see the crape that I get...
they are e-mails from other members...that I would guess they don't know anything about...these ads are using GW members e-mail list to sent out their crape.....
this link was sent to me from greengirls e-mail and I bet she doesn't know about....maybe she will see this and respond......linda
http://tribeniglobal.com/wp-content/plugins/akicmet/bing.php?bizu715fj

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here