Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

o
Aztcqn's Prickly Sphere's of Charm

Posted by aztcqn 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 2:08

This Spring I've noticed this little guy's no longer that.
My rebutia narvaecense has hulked out since last summer!
Crazy difference as it's grown 3 times the size I bought it at AND instead of 2 flowers it now sports 40 buds! LOVE this little guy. NOw three flowers open, but if it opens the rest all at once, I will be ecstatic!
:]

My Garden Occupants

This post was edited by aztcqn on Thu, May 1, 14 at 14:40

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aztcqn's Prickly Sphere's of Charm

Another first bloomer for me. A peanut I acquired through eBay. Got it as one rooted cutting. It spent last year and this one creating pups. Then filled a row with buds. Intense magenta flowers. Very dependent on sun light for it to fully open flat.

o

Wow, your Rebutia exploded!

I don't think the second one is the one people know as 'Peanut Cactus,' although it is related. I used to have one and found it correctly labeled as Chamaelobivia Hybrid 'Rose Quartz' (it has magenta colored flowers instead of red).

Planto

o

Hi plantomaniac08,

Aah, yeah, it was a no-name from eBay. Okay, thanks for the ID. :] It's a profuse bloomer! The magenta flowers are super deep.

I was just reading on a rose site that seaweed emulsions chelate minerals in soil making them bio- available for the plants and also contains some growth enhancing hormones. Maybe that's what this little guy is reflecting.
I fed them Seagreen fertilizer 2.3.2 at 1/2 strength all last summer. I think they liked it!

o

Sure thing. :) It is a profuse bloomer for sure. I might just have to go buy myself one now.... You're enabling me!

I had one, but lost it a couple years ago... Long story, no fault of my own. Looking at yours makes me want to replace it, I sure miss those gorgeous flowers.

Planto

o

I meant to add that I fertilize my cacti with fish emulsion. I haven't tried seaweed emulsion... I should check that out.

Planto

o

Another member, notolover, turned me onto Tigerbloom which I'm applying through this flowering season. Plants seem to be growing well and all the echi's are sporting at least a few fuzzies, potential buds!
I say, Rejoining with a long lost friend is always to be encouraged. I'm sure magenta goes well with your yard.

o

I definitely haven't heard of Tigerbloom. Hehe, I went and bought one this morning. Hubby asked me where I was off to and I told him someone on GW convinced me to replace one of my cacti. ;) Sadly, no yard here, but it is making itself at home next to my other cacti.

Planto

o

Heh,hee, Yay!!!!

I know the reunion was worth it.
My self control usually dissolves on the Huntington Echinopsis Hybrid Page. I told my mom If she doesn't drag me off the computer we're going to have a cactus lawn.
Tigerbloom is made by Fox Farms. It's a high phosphorus formula in the low total numbers. I feed once a week at 1/4 to 1/3 strength. So far seems like a good routine without burning the cactus.

Here's that hulked up rebutia nauarencis cutie that received this routine last year. It's on day 3 on same flowers. Can't wait til the other 30 buds pop.

This post was edited by aztcqn on Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 16:07

o

I have been eyeballing cacti and succulents on Etsy lately myself and should stop looking. I cannot even fathom looking on the Huntington's website. I already ordered some Euphorbia 'Firesticks' (hopefully they will be arriving tomorrow). A cactus farm doesn't sound very friendly, I'd hate to trip over something (or someone!) and fall into the farm.

I don't know how much you're into Charlie Sheen (I'm not into the guy...), but every time I read "Tigerbloom" I think "Tigerblood." Boy...

You will have to post more pictures when a majority of those 30 buds open. I'm not a pink gal, but those flowers are just breathtaking.

Planto

o

ohmygod, didn't even consider etsy!!!!

o

Uh oh... Don't blame it on me when the cacti take over your house lol.

Planto

o

Progress shot of Flying Saucer in bud.
Can't wait for it to open. It will be my first time seeing this giant bloom in person..in my own yard! Hope this pops next week?!

o

The way it looks, should be the next day or so. Take another picture when it opens.

Planto

o

Ooh, I hope so! Meantime, this one appeared.
echinocereus reichenbachii.
I'm surprised and pleased to see it has 3 tiers of petals....last year only one and a half.

This post was edited by aztcqn on Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 17:11

o

And Hubby keeps wondering why there's drool all over the computer monitor. :)

Planto

o

Lol,

Thanks Planto!

o

Sure, nothing beats a good laugh. :)

Planto

o

I'm excited for tomorrow......
Flying Saucer opening up this evening.

o

*grabs drool bib* I've seen a related cactus at Lowes before ('Torch Cactus') but didn't want to spend $20 for it. I did enjoy the bloom though (it was open when I was checking their plants out).

Planto

o

Hi Planto,

I feel successful even tho the plant did all the work. Hope my other echis bloom as well.
I also just bought a rebutia for 2.50 at the South Coast Garden Show. At that price it fairly leaped into my hand!

o

Dinner plate flowers.

o

Wow, that's beautiful. Which cultivar of Echis is this one? Let me guess, you live in Cali? Darn you Calis and your cactus shows! ;)

I'm lucky to find one Rebutia a year here, haha. You're going to share a picture of your new find, right? :)

Planto

o

Hi Planto
The echi is actually a trichocereus going by the name of Flying Saucer. It's the photo of flower that was opening 2 pics ago. It is a beauty but only lasted a day and a half. Bee's were using it as a landing pad.

The $2.50 rebutia was a fuzzy muscula. 1 inch tall with a ring of buds. I used to have one that grew so well then I stupidly neglected it, thinking it would take care of itself and it died. I promised this one I wouldn't do that again.
So far I have rebutia, violacea, muscula, albispilosa, kraiziana, arenacea, narvaecensis, canigueralii and, I think 2 sulcorebutia rauschii so far....
My current cutie is this mammillaria theresea with it's big lavander bloom.

This post was edited by aztcqn on Mon, May 5, 14 at 1:15

o

Oh, the flowers in your first picture looked a bit darker (silly me, they weren't opened yet). I thought it was a different cactus for some reason.

I've been on the lookout for a nice specimen for R. muscula for years. I found one this year, but it looks rather... dirty. Not as white as I was hoping for. Does R. albispina look much different from R. muscula? I've seen both on eBay and they look the same, but I know eBay plants can be mislabeled sometimes.

I like your Mamm., purple is my favorite color. I currently only have six cacti, hardly the dent compared to what I had years ago. :/

Planto

o

Both are very fuzzy, very soft.
The (correct name) albipilosa has longer "hairs" while the muscula is much shorter and more like a true fuzz.

Here is a link that might be useful: muscula

o

• Posted by aztcqn albipilosa (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 16:35

Longer fuzzes.
Although both sport similar orange flowers.

Here is a link that might be useful: albipilosa

o

Bahhhhhhhh they are so pretty!!!!!! I can't wait to expand my collection!!!!!

o

Oh interesting, thank you for the clarification. I'm on the lookout for a R. muscula, but a R. albipilosa would also be fine. I just love the orange flowers. :)

Planto

o

Thanks amsten09! I think I've overloaded on cactus, but, I don't regret it. ;] What are you growing, currently?

Planto, any cactus that doesn't bite is automatically welcome. The orange flowers and contrast with the white hairs IS quite lovely.

Here's a no name gymnocalycium with super rich deep pomegranate.

This post was edited by aztcqn on Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 1:09

o

I found a beautiful R. muscula today. My search is over! I'll post a picture for you tomorrow. I love your Gymno. Pomegranate flowers aren't something you see everyday, that's for sure.

Planto

o

Awesome! Love to see it.
Hey, do you have a link to your other garden denizens?

o

Why thank you for asking, I'm flattered that you want to see my collection. I don't have much, unfortunately. I am limited on space, so I only buy what really "grabs" me. I've given a few plants away over the years, lost some, and returned some, so the number in my collection fluctuates (I actually have four houseplants not pictured, two other 'Spider Plants,' an 'African Violet,' and a Sansevieria).

I'm not sure how into houseplants you are, but that's the majority of my collection, you'll have to scroll to find the C&S.

I normally have a picture of every plant individually, but I've been a little lazy taking pictures so there's a group shot in there (I took some of these this morning). Some aren't the best "quality" pictures as the lighting doesn't always want to cooperate. :)

The way I talk, I probably sound like I have a plant zoo lol.

Here's the Rebutia I picked up yesterday:
Rebutia muscula photo 100_4726_zps738651e8.jpg

Planto

P.S. You won't find that 'Rose Quartz' cactus in my collection anymore, I returned it last week. When I went to repot it, it wasn't as healthy as it looked. Bummer.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Photobucket Album

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 9:05

o
RE: Aztcqn's Prickly Sphere's of Charm 2

Do you have a picture of your collection or is that near impossible to photograph? Haha.

Planto

o

Hey, that's a nice one! With pups!
Here's its lil brother:

o

Hehe, thanks. :) I think I counted eleven pups total.

Planto

o

HI Planto,

Yeah, it makes it tougher to expand with a smaller space. But, I can see with a few select choices, the reward of growing is just as awesome. What a beautiful flower the mihanovichii friedrichii 'Plaid Cactus has. I enjoy looking at peoples collections and gardens. There is some love for the choices we make and the plants we tend; a commonality. I think more people should be patrons of the green.

Cactus are my 1st love starting with the plant my Dad bought me from the supermarket with fake paper flowers when I was a kid. When it put out it's own real ones, I was hooked. I was particularly drawn to lobelias, now all under echinopsis. Then decades passed and distractions happened and I lost all my cactus plants except for a few super hardy ones, just growing in the background. We even have a massive 13 foot opuntia tree my mom planted from one paddle that badly needs trimming, for whoever dares…

I have the space, but, I'm realizing it's more about what I can take care of…..currently dealing with an outbreak of mealy bug at the fly across the air nymph stage. So, now I have to go through some 45 pots to examine and treat every week. :[
Really hate that, plus, scheduling all actions in evening since we are in a big fat yucky heatwave in Southern California. At least the plants are small.

And next weekend we have the Cactus & Succulent Society show in my neighborhood! Oh my!!!

Anyway, here is another cutie.
rebutia krainziana

o

You are right, it's not necessarily the quantity of plants, but the quality. You probably noticed I didn't have anything rare or exotic in my collection, I only like easy to care for plants lol.

I had a cactus as a kid myself, but I don't think those strawflowers were invented yet lol. I think it was a Gymno. of sorts. I remember what it looks like, have been on the lookout for a replacement for a long time (no clue as to which Gymno., but I'll know it when I see it!).

You make yourself sound older, I was thinking you were a younger person for some reason (a couple younger folks on this forum, I think one is in his teens). Not to say you're not young at heart I'm sure. :)

Yeah, I think that Opuntia doesn't sound very friendly.

Sorry to hear about your mealy bug outbreak. I've had scale before and lost everyone to that (next year, the apt people pressure washed and killed everyone). Having a small collection makes you glad that you don't have a few hundred I'm sure.

I bet you'll be bringing a few cacti home from the show.

Planto

o

Oh the heartaches of crap that happens. I'm already worried if I can't get control of these little monsters. I just noticed a staghorn I bought this weekend has tons of mealy under the covers!!!!!!!!! Why didn't I inspect the @$$% thing?! Ugggghhh! I have my work cut out for meeeeeeeeee!

Well, I'm in my 5th decade and preparing to jump into a new career. During this downtime, I'm trying to take care of garden and home, repot orchids, clean plants, outdoors spaces before I get tied up. Sometimes, the inner youngster shows up. :] Probably asleep for this phase.

Had to post one more for today: I believe it's Peaches and Pink, a Paramount hybrid. This was the first echi hybrid I bought from eBay. All my plants came in clean from home growers. The commercial ones are the ones that have some quality control issues. >:[

o

I hope you are able to get them under control/eradicated soon. My scale infestation came from a cactus my Mother bought me at Lowes. Our two local nurseries don't sell cacti, unforunately.

You are older than I thought (it's hard to "read" people it seems). I'll be entering my third decade in a couple more years. I too am looking to a new job. Well, frankly, I'm looking for work period. That's an off-topic story for another day, but I left one field, went back to school, was unable to find work in the new field, and have been out of work for almost four years now. And now, I'm going to try and go back into my original field. If only we had crystal balls. I just hope someone will overlook my unemployment years and give me a chance.

Planto

o

Wow what a Show guys I really enjoyed the colors and if I had to pick one as MY Favorite it would be drum roll plz... The Orange colored one, right now I'm into orange blooms and I'm actually hunting for orange poppies.

Greg

o

Greg,
I agree. Orange isn't a color you see everyday... At least I don't lol. I have an orange flowering Kalanchoe blossfeldiana. Only one I've ever seen.

Planto

o

Okay, my Rebutia muscula finally opened its flowers.

Rebutia muscula photo 100_4739_zpsdf6cf4d1.jpg

Planto

o

Planto, Nice show and the color orange is feeding my desire to get one of those real soon.

May Day flowers.

Greg

o

Yeah, that's another reason why my time is spent in the garden to keep the career anxiety at bay. It's great therapy esp. as you see some fruits of labor and care. Sorry to hear how tough it's been for you after your investment in time and money. This economy doesn't make job hunting easy. Hope this year holds better prospects for us both.
"I had a cactus as a kid myself, but I don't think those strawflowers were invented yet lol." Well, this quote made me think you were older than me! Come to see you're a Spring chickie still in your 20's. ;]
Age is just lots of experience to share. Me, I'm too old to not know better and too young to settle down. Gardening is a great connection point 'cause we can learn from each other. You also know quite a bit about this hobby from what I can see.
And that musky, Aaaw, what a beauty... love the flower shape and the fuzzy body! SO pretty. I'm glad the little copy I have has deep orange as I've seen a few with lighter flowers. Looks like yours is also bright.
Greg, I"m working on getting the entire color wheel in my collection! Orange is a great starting point.
Here's the latest pops in herd: Beautiful Dreamer, on left is Raoul Wallenberg and below right is Peace Eros

o

Thanks. I also hope that this year opens doors for both of us regarding employment. :)

Lol, I didn't think strawflowers had been around that long; I thought it was a relatively new concept. That's a bit sad to hear that they've been around for so long.

I'm just stoked that I finally found a good specimen. Every year I'd find one or two, but they'd have strawflowers glued to their tops and/or spray painted orange (yeah, now they spray paint cacti it seems).

I don't know nearly as much as some growers (yourself included I'm sure), but I guess I know enough to keep my little "batch" happy. I'm always up for learning more and discussing plants with others. Even Hubby has learned a thing or two from me. He knows the names of a few plants and will point them out when he tags along. He's not so much into plants like myself, his hobby is more computer gaming. But, he has a small maple bonsai that he plans on making a beautiful specimen.

Thanks for sharing the pictures, I just love the flowers.

Planto

o

Haha, love when those around us begin to be absorbed into the collective...
This is Unikum a chimera type of chamelobeeb..
This round it's orange, last weeks flower was a yellower hue.

o

On, that one is nice! I am on the lookout for the red floweing 'Peanut Cactus,' but in all my years of cacti looking/collecting, I've never seen one in town. Before today, I wasn't aware there was an orange flowering hybrid.

Planto

o

I may have one in the yard. Won't know til it decides to flower.
Here are 2 more Schicks that popped today.
Bacarole and Daydream. They're still babies and I'm amazed at the size of the flowers compared to body.

This post was edited by aztcqn on Fri, May 2, 14 at 16:18

o

Aztcqn, hey look what I found this morning, I still wish it was orange though lol.. Have a nice weekend yawl.

Greg

o

You know, our computer went out today. I'll have to tell Hubby it's from all that drooling you're making me do with these pictures. Drooled right on the computer I did, lol. Nah, I think it's the video card or something else.

I am glad I don't live in California. I'd be shopping all day! I found a healthier 'Rose Quartz' today so that made up for the computer messing up. It looks like it's going to bloom in a few weeks (I can see a couple buds already forming). I will post a picture once they open. I also took a picture of my Rebutia today, more flowers have opened (I think I counted six total). Undortunately, it will be a little awhile until I can post it.

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Fri, May 2, 14 at 23:25

o

Hi Greg, unfortunately where the pic should be I get a square with a ? in it. :[
I bet it is a beauty, tho.

Planto, Oh no! Guess a water-resistant machine is next? ;]
Thank you. It is fun to share what we have. NIce! You found a healthier Rose Q. Hope it's got some buds for you.

We're still in a heatish sorta wave. Hate it. A lot of my dark hued roses are opening up bleached. Discoloration because of high temps. Guess iz why I likes the prickly ones.
I did go to the Sunset Cacti/ Succ Soc. sale. I only bought ONE mammillaria. I done good. Purposely came in with a SMALL box. Once filled that's it, go home and kill the rest of the bug monsters in the yard. DId see some one with a huge box filled to the brim with flowering r. musculas and narvaecensis. everything that caught my eye but, didn't get. I felt strong. Of course that was me last year.

This is the box of minis that I bought. Several small haworthias only because they grow well in the yard and another mini mammillaria with huge flower/body ratio.

Not too bad.

This post was edited by aztcqn on Sat, May 3, 14 at 16:49

o

Once again,here's rebutia narvaecensis getting it's groove on....

o

Lol, I'll suggest to Hubby that our next computer be water resistant then. The video card is indeed kapoot, waiting for the new one to arrive. I'll post my R. musucla picture then.

The 'Rose Quartz' does have some buds on it, won't be for another two or three weeks at least by the looks of it though. They're tiny little fuzz balls at the moment.

Lol, just one cactus? That sounds like you have some self-control. I like the Mamm. you picked up, not something I've seen here before. If only I could manage not to kill a Haw. I don't do the best with winter growers. I keep watering in the summer, forgetting I shouldn't be. Oh well. That Sedum is cute! How much is the average plant at those shows?

And, another beautiful Rebutia!

Planto

o

Well everyone I'm finally able to jump in with these new blooms today I still wish they were orange in color.

Everyone your pictures are so nice.

Greg

o

Greg,
Thanks for sharing, those are gorgeous!

Planto

o

Well, Planto, you actually alerted me to check out their specific culture as I wasn't aware of it's growth cycle at all! High summer heat can trigger dormancy! How unusual. As I'm digging around the forums, for growing info I find you offering sage advice on various plants. :]

During my re-interest in organizing the yard, I found a small little aloe looking thing in a dried up pot, faint memory of having bought it years ago. Small, but, nicely leafed out. Hardy enough to have survived some time undiscovered. And you know, I've found that to grow the one I found rolling around in the yard, is to just let the California climate take care of it with a tiny bit of help from me. Stuck it in a pot with home-mixed cactus medium and forgot about it. A year and a half later its produced a dozen offsets and flowers regularly. Quite happy as far as I can tell. With out being aware, this particular haw, is receiving the right amount of attention from me. Go figure. I hope that, now, I understand it's requirements I don't kill it with kindness.
This is the haworthia fasciata? I finally gave it's day to. One little piece resulted in sections residing in various pots and one pup eventually filling out another entirely.
My guess is, this particular one, is easy to grow.

Greg, there's a beauty! Love them echies'!

o

At the succulent sale yesterday, I mentioned to one of the growers, I found a haworthia rolling around under some yard debris (realized, too late I should never tell an enthusiast such things - he flinched). Asked him if they all take the same care. Affirmative.
So, I am now going to stick em in pots then…..mostly, carefully ignore, like I do the survivor haw. Good thing I only got 3 to gain experience with. Will be watching for dormancy in summer heat.
This is the one I bought from him that really got my attention. Cultivar Three Cornered Hat. What got me is how the tubercles glistened in the sun like jewels. Unfortunately, I couldn't reproduce it in the photo.

I'm mostly drawn towards anything other-worldy looking.

This post was edited by aztcqn on Sun, May 4, 14 at 19:02

o

Planto, the little sedum I bought at the sale is a Japanese hybrid. No cross or cultivar listed. It IS so delicate and pretty. Hope it takes to the yard like the others. I didn't seem to have an ability to keep them happy in the past. I'm overjoyed that using very open mix with addition of bark chips and more attentive watering they are responding and spreading so easily. I find I am really charmed by these little carpet forming sedums. I LOVE the beautiful green blue rose blend variations throughout the mass. Some have that grey pearl color blend that is so attractive
The tinier the leaves the most interesting they become.

This post was edited by aztcqn on Sun, May 4, 14 at 19:18

o

This is the newest baby: mammillaria saboae ssp. haudeana. Small like the theresea but arms not quite as extended.

o

Haha, thanks. :) My advice isn't always on key (as neither are my IDs), but I try my best. Yep, summer dormant for sure. If watered too much during that time period, they can die from rot. They like to cast off their root system (yay...) and a yearly repot is recommended.

Plants' resilence to neglect can be fascinating.

I believe that is H. fasciata, they're one lf the more common Haws avaliable and one of the easiest. That dark colored Haw is interesting looking,not a color I've seen before.

Those Sedum pictures (especially the first one) are breath-taking! I only have one Sedum, a S. spurium 'Tricolor.' This will be my first year growing a Sedum in years.

I like that Mamm even more now with that closeup.

Planto

o

Well, you make good educated guesses. At least you put me on the right path of research for haworthias. ;]
If these haws grow well, I know which one I"m getting next….hmmmm,yeah…may not wait for that…. :D
I was encouraged with a h. fasciata that's happily multiplying in several pots. This dark one is so alien-looking, had to bring it home. Bought a dycksia for same reason, so odd and well armored, a great squirrel deterrent, I hear. It works on me, too. Got it potted up and after some stabs don't want to mess with it.

Well, Flying Saucer opened up 3 more beauties, today. When I see how it responded to my attention, with this burst of pink dinner plates, it so inspires me to really figure out the best care, feeding for my little herd of hybrids. At the moment I have single stem echinopsis from the Huntington. I can't wait till they are bigger. They need to hurry up n give me grandchillens for a good show!!!!
 photo DSC_3606copy.jpg

photo DSC_3607copy.jpg
 photo DSC_3597copy.jpg

Here's an aporophyllum, Piñata. It's another long time inhabitant that has been receiving much better care for a year. Love it's tricolor blend.
 photo aporophyllumprettyflowercopy.jpg

This post was edited by aztcqn on Sun, May 11, 14 at 17:32

o

I am not sure how I missed your post... it must have gotten bumped down pretty fast. I was searching for it to show you a picture and just now see that you posted on Wednesday. *sigh*

Thanks for the compliment. :)

Those are dinner plates! I especially like the last one, it almost looks painted.

I woke up to find my Chamaelobivia 'Rose Quartz' blooming. It's a pretty small flower (I've seen larger), but still beautiful nonetheless.

Planto

o

Aaaw, Yes. it is a beautiful flower! I love the fact that many of these cacti bloom on small plants. I'm guessing blooms get bigger as the plant does? In any case, that magenta is one of the deepest I've seen on any cacti, yet.

All my pics go through Photoshop for cleanup of color, etc. All the FS pics were like the last one with less washed out color. Hosted through photobucket, but, for some reason they didn't post that way.

Found mealy under my sedums. They are everywhere!!!!. Nuts!
Well, my arsenal of products came in and now I'm deploying bug stoppers.
Sprinkled diatomaceous earth on soil and sprayed Azamax as well. One tricho has a chemical burn firm this nasty heat. : /

Well, for all the headaches with bugs and such, when they bloom my resolve strengthens to take good care of them……and learn from mistakes.

Say hello to Gossamer!

o

WOW!!
Everything is beautiful!
Makes me want to run out and shop! LOL!

Aztcqn's are you in Arizona?

o

Hi jojoplants!

Thank you. Love sharing and seeing shares on here.
Shopping for beauty can't be too harmful. Watch out on eBay, tho, wallets lighten pretty fast (true story).
Me and spinies live in, currently scorching, Southern Cali.
Another bloom: echinocereus pectinatus rubispinus

This post was edited by aztcqn on Sat, May 17, 14 at 15:54

o

I know ebay can be a little of a problem.. but I have 5 nurseries that put ebay to shame about an hour drive from me.. so either way it does get expensive. lol...

I'm in Tucson, Arizona.. should hit 100 this weekend.. but i'm a summer person so I don't mind.
JoJo

o

that sedum is amazing! i want! thx for sharing.

o

jojoplants,
Wish I were a summer person….so not. Running our 3 times a day to hose down my outdoor orchids and myself during our mini Arizona weather. Not having an air conditioner doesn't help. Maybe it's why I'm drawn to mountain growing types of plants. ;]
Ebay is has been my source for some interesting things. The little Mamm. theresae (the one with the lighter colored flowers) I acquired through eBay. Flower shows, when I'm aware of them are the next best. There are some growers out here, but more than an hour away for some and their prices are a little steep. Cheap baby plants where ever I can get them is my philosophy. But, then 20 baby plants is, ah……..not,.....quite..............
so......ah, cheeeeeap.....
chicagardens,
Thank you. I am surprised it took off. I think big reason is it's in great draining mix.
The yellow sedum has now collapsed on me. More than half has dried out. I found mealy invasion in pot and among stems. SO mad! Really bummed my plant took a dive. Hope the diatomaceous earth and Azamax takes them out before too much damage.

So to counter the war going on in my garden, these 2 decided to synchronize.
I love these little guys:
mamm-saboae-ssp haudeama
mamm-theresae

This post was edited by aztcqn on Tue, May 27, 14 at 6:32

o

I admire the bloom style of this calandrinia

This post was edited by aztcqn on Sun, May 18, 14 at 7:11

o

Aztcq- this week as been an inferno, today was allegedly cooler, but it still felt like an oven.

o

Having to water 3 times a day I am familiar with. lol.. and agree not so fun.. but for me it's the last minute food garden. I am way behind on planting this year , so water 3 times a day to keep seeds wet. lol...

Cooler and cloudy here today also.

But by mid june it's a 100 + here. lol... they better hurry and sprout! ROFL!

o

chicagardens, where do you reside? I am SO glad heatwave is over. Plants were feeling it despite watering and hosing down almost every day. Not to mention, me. We have no air conditioning, so, I went as far as soaking my clothes one day to try and cool off.

jojosplants, I admire anyone that can handle gardening veggies in a desert climate! It finally cooled down here (sigh of relief). But, we aren't even in summer, yet...I'm sure more to come for S. Cali.
Little mamm. theresae has paled out the flowers in a most beautiful way.
 photo mamm-saboae-haudeamapaleflorcopy.jpg
And below, the Fire mix! Orange rebutia albipilosa and red rebutia krainziana

This post was edited by aztcqn on Mon, May 19, 14 at 4:06

o

Not a succulent, but it does have thick leaves and a pseudobulb. ;]
This is Brassiolaeliacattleya Hello Sport "Intrigue".
I am absolutely partial to blue/ purple orchids. She's been in my collection over ten years, but not looked after properly. And she still gives me flowers......no more neglect for any residents of my garden. Slow, long journey to make right with all my acquired green residents.

This post was edited by aztcqn on Mon, May 19, 14 at 15:28

o

Beautiful!!! Time to spoil her :-) I'm a sucker for purple/lavender .

I'm on the same journey as you. Just got done re potting everyone in the mini green house. Still have a few odds and ends left. Like a few aloe pups that will be going to my mom. and 2 plants left to re pot, but I accidentally wet the pots they will be going into today, so want to wait for them to dry out.

o

Hi jojoplants!
Thank you.

Yes, I'm responsible for bringing them here. Since they can't run and turn on the faucet, I am morally obligated to make sure they are happy. I also just finished repotting all but 3 out of the 50 orchids I have. Now on to the tumble aloe in the yard without a pot. :0

o

I have not been lucky to find any of my cacti but my easter cacti to bloom this year, but we'll see... I finally saw a small flower bud forming on my huerina zebrina the past few days cant wait for that to open there flowers are sooo amazing, also see that my opuntia is budding very well and soon to be producing massive blooms all over... still waiting on the possibility of others going for some flowers as well - keeping my fingers crossed. ill post a picture in a little bit of the opuntia and the huerina and start checking for little fuzzies on some of my other babies... but with those stupid fake flowers they always put on the cacti (and the glue never comes off completely) im just hoping something good will happen soon, cause right now I really cant compete!

o

Here is the opuntia of some sort

o

Here's the huernia zebrina bud forming i think

o

Not wanting to be a bubble burster here, but I believe your Opuntia is making new pads. I don't know about your Stapelia though, sure looks like a bud.

Planto

o

Agreed with Planto, opuntia padlets on the edge there. But, I have seen their flowers, quite pretty. Huernias have cool looking flowers, flies love them, too.
KittieKat, I think our pages have crossed.
This here's to post flowers, mostly the ones from my yard.
;]

Mamm. theresea day 3.

o

I agree aztcqn! We brought them into our life it's up to us to provide proper care. My gosh that's a lot of orchids!! I tried one yrs ago and killed it. lol..

I got all but 2 of my plants done today and in new mixes.. very happy!

WOW!! those colors are just amazing!!! Love it! All your flowers.. but I have a purple weakness.. just my favorite color :-) sitting here in a purple t shirt..lol...

The tiny mamms are hard to find here local. Do you get yours local or mail order.? we ordered one for my son yrs ago.. but the cats tried to eat it.. :-/ couldn't save it. It was saboae.

Aww.. veggies aren't that hard in the desert.. just need to water early and know they will wilt in the heat of day and not panic. lol... but thank you. :-)

o

Pad's huh? They don't really look like pads they are kinda bud looking...but then again i guess I'll have to SEE.

Sorry about posting pictures, i thought since other people were sharing and you were asking to see pictures of other people's that it was okay to share, my apologies i guess NOT.

Goodluck, nice plants and flowers...

o

Haha. Purple is my color, too. Even had a purple Camaro. Current car is silver, but, I know it would be nicer in Black Cherry. :]
Glad your babies have new shoes! I've a feeling they will respond well to your kind care.
I acquired one mamm. through, eBay and the other though a succulent society show and sale that comes around here every Spring. I guess that would make them local grower acquired. Some of the neater plants I never come across except from specialty sellers. The Cali cactus farms, here, do sell some, but, the special rebutias or mamms. I've only seen on Ebay or private growers, excess stock. So far, all plants, from small collectors, I've received, from eBay, are in great condition and bug free.

I want to do veggies at some point, but still organizing the cactus and succulent dept. in my yard. My venture with veggies atm are 2 leftover green onions I stuck in a pot. One has flowered twice.

Hi kittieKAT,
No worries, I do like seeing shares. I meant on Gardenweb in general. I've enjoyed popping into member threads and seeing people's plant and garden pics, there. I've enjoyed seeing all the nice new plants you're collecting along with your enthusiasm and interest in them, as well.

Another forgiving orchid that flowered for me again.
Sophrolaeliocattleya Jewel Box "Dark Waters"

This post was edited by aztcqn on Tue, May 20, 14 at 4:30

o

Not only do you have such beautiful cacti, now I see that you grow orchids! Ugh! Haha, orchids have not been a plant I've been able to successfully grow (at least Phals...).

Do you recommend a certain orchid for beginners? I see that both of yours look like Cattleya hybrids(?).

Planto

o

Black Cherry is a good color too! :-)

I do like ebay.. I've gotten some of my Kelly griffin hybrid aloes there. and tons of seeds for the garden.

My son and I went to a few sales at the Botanical gardens , in the past. They were called crazy plant sales. lol..

I hope to join our Cactus and succulent society next month.

I love having veggies, and I mix in some flowers here and there too. You cold easily start a fall garden. That would give you all the time you need to get the others settled first. ;-)

I have 2 plants left to do. I'll see if the mix is dried out today. It's great to have them out of the garbage soil!

o

Hi Planto!
Thank you! I used to work for an orchid nursery in my other life for about 7 years. Orchids were the special residents in the yard exclusively. The cacti are a recent re-interest. Worked at a nursery called Stewart Orchids. I learned a heck of a lot and one speck of wisdom was that having the right orchid for one's particular growing conditions took the worry out of trying to grow them. You know, I also don't grow phalies (stupid spell check put phallus) very well, either. Here, they should be indoors most of their lives, but, the indoor environment, window space, etc. is just not set up for their happiness. Outdoors, Phalies in cold and humid conditions freeze and drop leaves as soon as temps dip.

SOOOoooo, I now find myself with orchids that have Laelia in their background somewhere. The 2 I posted pics of both have that in the breeding. The purple one really shows the Laelia flower shape, deep closed lip and long petals and slim sepals. Laelia types are found in higher elevations in the tropics and can withstand cooler winter temps, like we get around here, without rotting. They are tough and I love them for their genetics, 'cause at times they've been in orchid concentration camp survival conditions and they've hung on. Well, life got in the way and they were neglected pretty badly. But, now they are going to be grown with care.

Also have some dendrobiums that do well in dryer outdoor environments. Since we live about 4 to 5 miles from the beach, we get some cooler moist air breezing through, which helps growing conditions in hot California summers. Also, there are a few trees for cover that allow for dappled sun in hottest part of day and then a couple hours direct after 3pm. I do find myself hosing them down if the heat is excessive. They also get occasional reserved rainwater to dissolve excess calcium deposits around the roots. This, pretty much, is the habitat for what I have.

I forget where you live, Planto? But, Cattleyas can do well for a lot of people. Light is very important or they won't flower. There is a temp. change that most all orchids need as well, usually happens, naturally, as seasons change to set flowers. Even phalies need a cooling period to initiate spikes. Important, like cacti, is that the mix be open and airy, hence the reason you'll oft see large bark or charcoal in the growing pots. Many orchids more than not, are epiphytic, live off the ground on tree branches. Another reason to use an open airy large chip, medium. Some people grow them well in hydroponic pebbles. It's really important to keep the roots from drying out while giving them air. Again it depends on growing conditions how you water, what medium you'd use. etc. For me, I found a lot of them were rotting in the winter rains, in plastic pots, so, I chose to use large bark pieces mixed with as big a perlite size I could find and now pot them in clay pots for the porosity. So, I don't worry to much over the winter drenching and just, water more in summer.

As for beginning orchids, I'd say the reed orchid, an epidendrum, is the most forgiving of all. Tough little plants and comes in a lot of pretty strong colors. I believe they are native to subtropical Americas. They can withstand a lot of conditions, but still need at least 4-5 hours of sun. Let me know what you decide to try growing. I will try to help with what experience I have. :]

jojoplants, Oh, I do love the botanical gardens sales. Tried going to the Huntington Library Garden sales and were turned away because we were not Huntington members that day. They now charge you admission even if you only want to go to the sales, I guess, because you're entering the property. A bit disappointed with this set-up. Didn't used to charge before. Good way to exclude a LOT of buyers. Anyway, this is my source for echinopsis. I order a bunch then go get 'em. I've reached the saturation point for echies atm, tho.
Do you have a link to some photos of your veggie garden/flower plots? Or a Gardenweb thread name? I'd like to see your set-up.
This here's dendrobium chrysotoxum. Has bloomed every year since I've owned it. Has settled in and is defintitely a strong plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Epidendrums

This post was edited by aztcqn on Tue, May 27, 14 at 6:45

o

My rebutia albipilosa surprised me this morning with almos a full crown! This one's for you, Greg (hijole).

o

Opened today is Fluffy Ruffles.

o

Wow, the crickets are loud in this thread............ :[
Oh well, I'll just keep on postin'. :]

Here's a new addition. Probably not a good thing to find a new plant type interest. Really intrigued with this genus and hope I get its culture right. I would love to see more pups from this.

A variegated haworthia cuspidata.

o

I don't know how I missed your post on Tuesday (or yesterday for that matter), I apologize. I keep an eye out for your post, actually. I guess it got knocked down the list rather fast. :/

Thanks for the information about the orchids. I think the BBS here sell Phals and Dens mainly. I clipped your post for future reference. I love the way orchids look, but I've managed to kill every Phal I've tried to grow. I've read those aren't as easy to grow as some people say they are. I guess it depends on the person. I'm in SC. Humid and hot lol.

I love your Rebutia albipilosa! My R. muscula has pushed out more buds and flowers as well, but nothing to the extent of your Rebutia! I hope you don't mine if I post a picture of it for you later. My 'Rose Quartz' had two new flowes yesterday.

I like your Haworthia, I'm not sure if the care for the mostly white ones is different or not. I purchased one last week(?) myself. Figured I'd give them another shot.

What ever became of your sedum with mealy?

Planto

o

thats my Easter Cactus
my Mamm' elongata also bloomed - a single flower
my Peanut cactus also bloomed - a single flower
and my Stapelia Verageta is growing a flower bud

o

Okay, I have some pictures for you now. I had to upload them.

Rebutia muscula photo 100_4865_zpse648c050.jpg

Chamaelobivia 'Rose Quartz' Hybrid photo 100_4866_zpsa48078c9.jpg

Planto

P.S. I wrote you a message earlier today (look up top), in case you missed it.

o

mushibu10 Your plant looks nice and healthy. Pretty flowers. Is that the staplia behind the little branchy one? What is the cute branchy one?

Hi Planto!
Yeah, I guess, I get knocked out of the line-up pretty quick. Guess, it's a good thing A very active forum is a healthy sign. :]

Nice, your muscula is working hard. Pups AND flowers. Can't get better than that!
I'm thinking my Rose Quartz is really a seedling or sibling of RQ. The flowers are spiky and more star shaped than round flowered like yours and Sundewds' plant pics show. !!!But, then your pic shows both type flowers!!! Hmmmmmmm, idk…..
Love that magenta!

When I worked at the nursery, orchids were relatively expensive and hard to get. Then some of the phalli supplier/growers standardized their culture and boom! Phalies, now regularly on sale in Trader Joes! But, care remains the same. I think, yes, it depends on the person, but , also on your conditions. Some areas just aren't a battle to grow things in. If you have high humidity and it's warm, sounds like the ideal climate for phalenopsis. The next thing I would check is watering habits. If you've had the plant in the original bought container for months without knowing if the mix was rotten and retaining too much water, but continued to water regularly, it may have been the problem and you get root rot. I recall you enjoy nurturing your plants with water. ;] If it got really cold near the window, and water sat in the center of the plant and temps dropped, you'll rot the plant while dropping leaves. They do not tolerate cold.

Dendrobiums run the gamut in ease of care. The tall cane, phali flowered dendrobiums you normally see are rather high humidity needing plants. Grown like phalies, but much higher light. I do remember we used to get dozens of 4-5 foot tall den. plants with hundreds of flowers. The fragrance was so light and yet infused every corner of our store front in a really nice way. The kingianum bred dendrobiums are actually tough. Comes from Australia. Those do well in my yard, so can handle low humidity and high sunlight.

Thank you. The albi is a little flower factory. DIdn't expect such a good producer this year, so quickly. As for the sedum, the yellow tiny leaved one you see in the pic with the green in the middle completely collapsed. All that's left is the green variety. I've treated for mealy, added diatomaceous earth in the soil and sprayed various concoctions. But, it dried up almost completely. : [
So ,will try and start the small small remains I can find in another pot. I'm hoping with the bugs treated it will refill in. Will keep you posted. Thanks for asking.

So you, also, added a windowed haw to your family? Yay!, we can compare notes. I'm really drawn to these in a big way. Love the variegated chubby leaved ones and the transparent tips on these are so lovely. Stay off of eBay! I'm telling ya! :D

Here's another view of Fluffy Ruffles.

o

That is a good way of putting it, at least the forum isn't slow!

I can't take credit for the pups, they were with Mama at purchase. However, the flowers pictured are all new.

Lol, I have noticed that RQ can make both flowers, at least that's been my experience. I had a larger specimen that I lost when it was sprayed with a "bleach derivative" (I don't remember if I told you that story). The first year it bloomed for me, it had round flowers; the second year, it had spikey flowers. Odd.

I sometimes have wondered if the Phals I've purchased in the past weren't weak or suffering to start with. A Den sounds more up my alley, haha. Wow, five feet? I didn't realize they got that tall!

I think all of your cacti are little flower factories. ;) Sorry to hear about your Sedum. Do you know why it dried up like it did? Yes, keep me posted. :)

Haworthia venosa ssp. tessellata
Haworthia venosa subsp. tessellata photo d0c83e_zps9f56b39c.jpg

The bloom stalk has since died. Gah!

Planto

o

Oh no! Bleach derivative story,….Oh my! Please relate.

Also, I apologize, I shouldn't assume what your care was for the phalies.. What I mentioned was the more common issues with phalie growing. It's is very possible the plants were stressed before you brought them home. Good idea to always check for plump roots on any orchid. I even poke a finger in the mix and if it feels mushy or broken down, I try and check if the roots in center under plant are okay. Still, if you see a lot of plump live roots, even outside of the pot, and the flower is exceptional, it may be worth taking home. Also, with phalies, any soft or wrinkled leaves may indicate loss of roots or dehydration from lack of consistent watering.

The yellow sedum, not sure why it dried up. The size ratio of monster mealy to tiny leaved plant was pretty large. My guess is it was greatly weakened by the sucky bugs and kinda desiccated from there in the dry 100ª heatwave that lasted over 5 days. I found a couple of fine branches with a few yellow sprouts. So, hopefully the little pieces will begin to regrow………

Aah, yes, a venosa! I believe I have 2 of those, a red version and a green one. They have such a cool veining pattern. Now, I am curious. What will be your approach in caring for the haw? :]

o

I think I understood you correctly in that you'd like me to expand on the "bleach derivative" story. Our apartment complex (or should I say the company that owns our complex, they own several) went from notifying everyone of upcoming "events" via notes on our doors to e-mail. Well, we weren't aware #1 that they were planning on doing this and #2, we didn't get the first e-mail they sent out.

I left one morning, only to come back to our entire patio having been pressure washed (including my plants!!!). I asked the guy that was pressure washing what was in the pressure washer, as it smelled like bleach. He informed me it was a "bleach derivative" and should not harm my plants. I politely asked him if he could re-clean our patio as not only did he fail to move anything, he blasted soil all over the patio. Well the "boss" comes back a few minutes later and catches an attitude with me, saying my plants weren't supposed to be on the patio anyway. I wish I would of had more of a backbone back then, I would have told him that doesn't give you the right to destroy my things. I attempted to explain to him we didn't get this "e-mail" but you could see him rolling his eyes at me.

Needless to say, some died overnight, some in the next few days, my cacti took a couple months to begin to show severe symptoms. Essentially, everyone died. I had about twenty varying plants on the patio.

Rather than call the apartment folks because I figured (looking back, maybe I should have called anyway) they would have said I had received the e-mail and failed to remove my things from our patio (it would have been hard for them to prove that I received it, hard for me to prove I didn't just delete it).

My RQ was one of them. I've never been able to find a comparable sized RQ, but I have been able to find a smaller specimen. Now, if someone is to harm the plants I currently have, we're going to have some fighting words. It's taken me this long to re-build my cactus collection (last year I lost everyone due to non-stop rain storms... my fault, I should have moved them). The pressure washing took place almost four years ago, so I am a bit attached to the current cacti I have.

I apologize if that is not what you meant, I suppose you have a long story to read in that case. Thanks for reading either way.

No you're fine, I didn't think you were assuming anything. I did feel that you were merely offering help on how you feel they should be taken care of. I appreciate it, I did clip your post for future reference because you did state some things I hadn't read before (researching online doesn't always prove the most fruitful). It's difficult to feel for the roots in the center of the root system I've noticed because of how much they compact the sphagnum moss in the pots.

I hope your Sedum comes back from the cuttings you were able to make. It's still difficult to believe that it was covered in mealy bug. I'm surprised in some ways that it didn't spread to the neighboring Sedum.

I'd like to see your H. venosa (well, both of them!). This will be a trial and error plant for me I think. I was planning on watering it weekly (more if needed, twice at most) and when it gets blazing hot outside this summer, ceasing watering. I might mist the top layer of soil a little bit once every couple weeks, I'm not entirely sure. And about September or so, I'll up the watering again until it gets too cold, at which point I plan on lowering the watering to bi-weekly. I'm not sure if my plan is going to end up killing it, I hope not, but I figure sometimes you won't know until you try.

Planto

o

Oh dear, I think there's a Rose Quartz virus going round. I just bought, not one, but TWO, RQ because they looked so healthy and my OCD couldn't decide between the 2.'' Even the spent flower looked larger and fuller than the spiky bloomer I have at home. They both were putting out healthy pups, no dry outs or burns or BUGS! on it. I also noticed that these labeled RQ are stockier and fuller in growth as well. My magenta bloomers, both, seem to me to have a more slimmer shape.......maybe not grown in strong sun like new bought ones?

Also found a few soft leaved window haworthias, too. Decided, am only going to buy variegated or really unusual seedlings, so, none of those jumped into my box of buys, today.

I've come to happily discover that this nursery( a block from home) is a great source for succulents and short round pots at good prices!!! Yay!! Now, I can incorporate the echies into community pots. No more hundreds of single pots all over the place! :) :] :D

Hmmm, running out to capture the venusas…to be continued……

This post was edited by aztcqn on Tue, May 27, 14 at 21:06

o

I will say that the larger specimen I owned seemed to get slimmer and taller (not etiolated) the longer I had it. Seems like the newer they are, the squatter they look. I'll see if this new one I have mantains the squat look to it.

Lol, so no threw themselves at you?

Planto

o

Wow! Such amazing colors! I'm not into prickly stuff, but these might just turn me!

o

chicagardens, Once you go prickly, you never go back!!! Cactus are insidiously charming, even treacherous little balls. They entice you with their colorful flowers and even test your love for them with an occasional bite. But, if you feed them, sun them, flick the bugs off them they will give you much in bloom proliferation and variety of colors. AND once they settle in they convince their children to do the same every year. That's what got me! :]

Oh that's terrible, Planto! What irresponsible lazy a$$ goons! !!!!bleach!!!! derivative doesn't harm plants?! How much energy would have been spent to just knock on the door, before hosing! Not only a goon, but a brainless one.
I hear you about being caught off guard with overbearing managers. Over the years I have built quite a vocabulary dealing with boneheads like you've described. >:[ Grrrrrrrrr. In fact, there's probably a swear for every 3 words in my stream of consciousness, now. :D
So sad to read you lost your carefully chosen and cared for collection of living things. But, at least there are copies of them still available. Thanks for relating story. I think we all have one of those in our experience, in and out of the garden.

I once lost a really lovely dendrobium orchid one year. The rains rotted it out and then it produced little babies of itself as it shriveled up. I was do happy to have the chance to recuperate this plant. Put it in the store greenhouse for protection. Well, the next day I found them with gouged out holes where the babies were….the snails had a feast that night….the bastards. I still mourn, lol. That variety is no longer bred or sold, sigh.

Here's my h.venusases. ;]

o

Aurora made a lovely appearance this morning! One of two yellow echis in the prickly herd.

o

I wasn't home st the time, but returned to the aftermath. He could have at least moved them for me though.

Sadly, I have not been able to find every cactus I had then, since then. It seems that our BBS vary in their shipments. But, I have found ones I've not been able to find before (such as my R. muscula).

Oo, I like your Haws. I wonder which ssp. the one is on the right? When mine was stressed,it turned a dark purple, not red.

I'm not much a fan of yellow, but that's a pretty one!

Planto

o

Yeah, the washer dudes could, definitely, have been conscientious about it. Well, I'm sure, one day he'll find his just washed clothes on the floor in the laundry room…..
>;P

I looked at the label which helpfully describes one as a haworthia. : / The other label indicates venusa tesselata.
I think they're both the same species, just different personality. :]

This yellow echi was a nice rich color. Only lasted one day. I do like the lighter lemon yellow to butter cream pastel colors. I'm hoping the other one is like that.

It's odd what BBS's will contain. I'm impressed with the nice variety of phaleanopsis they carry. The hunt for long lost elements can be a sort of treasure hunt. It is a neat feeling when you find something similar and even nicer, after least expecting it. Hope you find like or ones that are even better than.

Thought I'd post another inhabitant. I also like "air plants" or tillandsias .

I've had this for more than 12 years. It was rather expensive when I bought it. I've seen a few at shows, but not as nice a flower as this. I do think this one is especially nicely shaped and colored.
Now it has split into 3 large plants. I'm fascinated by the pure white with purple edging. Makes for a pretty flower. They are also nicely fragrant.

I really do love gardens, gardening and just being among the beauty and calming effect of greenery.

o

Lol, a label stating "Haworthia" isn't all that helpful is it. I like that, different personalities.

I like Tillies too, but I don't own any. Our BBS don't seem to have many different Phals, although I did see a couple "new" ones last week.

I don't have the ability to have a garden yet, but it is one of my aspirations.

Planto

o

I can imagine your garden will be filled with very interesting species grown to specimen sizes with educated care.
;] Good aspiration.

I'm trying same, but since all are babies, will try to be patient....

This is the new Rose Quartz. Round flowers!! This is how I've always seen pics of. I'm pretty convinced the ones I have are seedlings of similar cross.

o

Thanks for the compliment. :)

Hmm... I'm not sure which hybrid I have then, considering it has produced both types of flowers. Oh well lol.

Planto

o

I am in love with this flower!
This is a no-name hybrid I acquired from eBay.
It's 4 inches across and has that much pale washed yellow I love with butter yellow mid vein and trim. This is my kind of yellow.

This post was edited by aztcqn on Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 15:34

o

Gymnocalycium horstii. Not the best shaped flower, but, a yard resident for a long time. Been a couple of years since I've gotten to see it in open state.

This post was edited by aztcqn on Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 6:47

o

I've never been much for yellow, but I like the size of that one. Big flowers are always nice.

I also have a Gymno in bloom, but it's going on day three or four and they haven't completely opened yet... I'm afraid they're going to die before they open completely. It's taunted me for over a month or so growing the flower buds, and now it's taunting me because they don't want to open.

Planto

o

I thought I was the only person with an anti-gymno flower yard!
You know, Planto, that horstii has been traveling west from bench to yard floor to quarter yard- ever searching for areas with more sun. Seems this one and the mihanovichii or freidrichii (I have both under separate names and meant to comment, sometime back your Plaid Cactus has a pretty flower) both will fret and fidget half opening their flowers near shade, even dappled sun for small part of afternoon-nope won't oblige. Even overcast days are anti-open bloom.
I'm thinking they need super bright, uninterrupted, all day or at least 6 hours of sun to open up. And, yet I'll find the rebutias and chameo hybrids will open under the tree shade with bright reflected. Some of our plants truly have (snooty) quirks.…

This post was edited by aztcqn on Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 13:46

o

So, my Mom can be a great help in the yard. Like a busy bee raking and watering. I asked her to help cut up branches for trash and when I turned my back, she kept going on over to the calandriana! Said it was ratty. Where I had one large community, I now have 7-8 "new" plants. : /
I call her the human termite. Lol.

This post was edited by aztcqn on Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 14:01

o

I just love Cacti flowers so much better than anythoyher plant?

earlier in thread you asked me about a stapelia in the back found I have;
s. variegata, and gigantea

o

Hmm, you may be on to something there. My 'Plaid Cactus' was in bloom when my Mother gave it to me, but its new blooms are the ones I mentioned earlier being fussy to open. I've read online though, to protect this one from hot afternoon sun. Go figure.

Planto

o

Hi mushibu, The long slim one was the photobombing plant in background! Would like to see when the flowers bloom on these!

Planto, Hm, protecting from shadows, here. I wanna see flowers! It's been in yard for over a decade in worse conditions-full sun lack of consistent water. In my case I'll err on the side of a little too much sun. I'm thinking, so far in my experience, it's more important that they receive water at the right times, esp. during higher temps. I believe the horstii can handle the direct sunlight because it's been acclimated to it over the years.....
Perhaps, in small increments the gymno mihanovichii can be brought to tolerate a little more?

Well, to help get over the loss of my beautiful variegated haworthia, I invited some new friends into the garden.
There's more green in them AND they came with long fat roots! Sundewd was right on when he mentioned that the pale, one I stressed, over was sold un-established and pushed deep into the pot to hide it's lack of solid roots. All the leaves on that one are turning watery. The crown hasn't yet, will be surprising if it doesn't.

Blagh, onto renewed positive growing attempts.

This post was edited by aztcqn on Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 15:56

o

that's the coming bloom.

o

Since your comment about your Gymno not fully opening its blooms, I was curious to see exactly which direction our window faces (I had a few C&S indoors, most of my cacti are outdoors). I had my suspicions that maybe mine wasn't receiving enough light as it was only partially opening its two flowers for almost a week.

I've been saying all along that we have a South window, but to my surprise, it's a Southeast window. More East than South at that. No wonder it wasn't opening. That being said, I placed everyone that was in the windowsill outside this morning to bask in the sun with their prickly friends. Now it looks like the patio has exploded, but I believe that in the long run, everyone will be happier. It's a shame I didn't check that earlier.

To my amazement, my Gymno 'Plaid Cactus' opened its buds fully this morning. So, I will say, you must be onto something!

photo 100_4958_zps790b09fe.jpg

Planto

o

Is that the gymno? Nice! Looks like an echi hybrid......
And post pics. Most curious to see the explosion.

Another thing I've noticed is that the gymno horstii responded to consistent feeding last year and part of this....even in full sun it is a deep green. I believe it's due to the kelp emulsion it received.
On a more annoying note, I can't seem to get the watering right for the echis! My gut reaction to watering sparingly is not indicated for these alpine growers. I wait too long and the buds fall off. :[
Dangit!

No prickle flowers atm, so here's a balloon flower in lovely shade of blue.....

This post was edited by aztcqn on Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 7:41

o

Yep, that's my Gymnocalycium mihanovichii var. friedrichii that my Mother gifted me.

My Mother had some balloon flowers (had being the opportune word). For some reason, they don't seem to come back in the Spring. Granted, we had a really bad ice storm in February, a number of things haven't come back.

Sadly, this may be the last time I write about my cacti. I'm considering giving them to my Mother (I hope she'll want them >>). We've had three bad rain/wind storms and last night was the worst one so far.

My poor tomato plant was blown over (again) and this time, it doesn't look like it's ever going to straighten back out. I did move my cacti yesterday evening because I saw it was going to rain and I had just watered them (no mention of 40mph winds... gee weatherman). Had I not moved them (I was lucky the last two times, I knew of it beforehand), they would have been gone.

If it can blow over my tomato plant that has to weigh at least thirty pounds (no lie, I stopped trying it pick it up, it hurts my back!)... a little 2.5 inch clay pot isn't going to fair well. I think they will fair better at my Mothers, she at least has more places she can put them and not have to worry. *sigh*

Planto

o

Okay, I take that statement back! I put my thinking cap on this morning and tried to think of some way that I could keep my cacti from getting blown away. I really really didn't want to give them away, as it's taken me so long to find some of the specimens I have and losing my collection again (third time, this time it would be my fault), I just couldn't bear it.

First I considered potting them all together. I did find a shallow clay pot in town, but $15 is more than I care to spend.

So, second idea, buy one of those plastic trays you place underneath plant pots and stick them all together in that. Well, for $1, that idea works out much better. Now, there's no guarantee they won't still get blown across the patio, but at least if they're together in this plastic tray, the likelihood is much less I believe. If anything, the entire tray may slide across the patio. Much better than plants flying everywhere dontcha think? :)

Planto

o

Doh! Tupid wind.

Aaaaaw,
Must be real bad to consider giving up your spiny and fat leaved babies. Seems so odd to hear of rain and tornado like conditions still going on near summer. But, then I have no idea of weather patterns out there. . How frustrating to have to pick up after messy weather.

I had to chase out a baby possum from the patio 3 times last night. Acts like a weather system. Keeps knocking over glass bottles and throwing around my potted plants as he looks for a non-existent dead cow (blood and bone meal) and I'm fearing for my hand chosen ceramic pots.

On thinking of your plan, if you bury or plant heavy rocks in the tray on the corners along with your cacti ( while heavily chained and attached to foundation with addition of dense collapsed star matter) might make it little stabler by adding weight? Hope you find a way to keep them (and yourself) safe.

Your gymno really is lovely, so big! And the midstripe reminds me of echinopsis Barberpole. Hope mine flowers large and fluffy.

This post was edited by aztcqn on Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 17:32

o

Speaking of hurricane-like winds, we had more this afternoon. In fact, it's been raining for almost three hours now.

This kind of weather isn't normal for us, but we've had some weird weather this year. It snowed in February, first time in two or three years (we used to get snow every ten years or so). Two weeks later, we had a severe ice storm that left us out of power for three days. Some perennials are still recovering, some never came back. A couple weeks after that, we had an earthquake. It was minor, but no one around here can remember ever experiencing an earthquake (we did have a large flood back in the 90s, but that was about it).

The winter before this last one was so minor, none of the annuals died back. So, this year it makes up for it by giving us temperatures in the single digits! Sorry to keep going on, but just explaining the odd weather we've been having. Last year we had that rain that went on and on... I'm hoping that's not what this is going to turn into.

At least we don't have animals trying to eat things and knocking over pots lol. Hopefully your possum friend moves on. My Mother does have issues with squirrels, but there's nothing to speak of here.

That's a good idea, I should look around for some heavy rocks (small enough to fit in my plant tray). I know I see some in the mulch from time to time. Hopefully my neighbors don't see me picking up rocks... I'm sure they already think I'm weird. :P

Anything blooming for you today? My Gymno only bloomed for one day! All that waiting and I get one day of fully opened flowers, haha.

Thanks for reading.

Planto

o

Oh my, that's a heck of a climate. When it gets hot here for days, they call it earthquake weather. But quakes are the norm, here, just can't feel them all.

Poor little plants trying to adapt to the odd weather extremes. Makes you really appreciate how they are designed for there particular native areas.
I wish we had a good dump of rain….now, Cali is considered in severe drought.
I've always wondered how concerned the state regulators/legislaturers are about it when the golf courses are still glowing green while they may put out a ration for the drinking public. Doesn't make sense…. Alarming that it basically comes down to who will pay for it…not who needs it….

I always wondered why they don't have catch reservoirs for all the run-off that floods the channels briefly every year. That would be a good investment or a program to help folks set up rain barrels that can be filtered for drinking. But, then the state wouldn't get to profit…..so no push for it.

Hey, rock picking upping is a street cleaning service! ;] I've begun to hunt around the yard for stray rocks for my month old emerging succulent diorama projects.
I really love the many different ideas I see on Pinterest. It's another way to be creative in 3D.

Yeah must like the pretty ones…..a quick burst then theirs gone. I wonder if that adds to the obsession to get them to bloom, because they are fleeting and sometimes have to be teased out with food, the right amount of water and perfect sun.

SO, no cactus blooms, but one of my favorite orchids produced it's beautiful deep purple flower. Love this plant in particular. It's a zygopetalum. Trick is to get it to bloom more than 2 flowers at a time. This year experimenting with actual attention and love to all my plant kingdom representatives.

o

I remember hearing about the drought in Cali, but it didn't occur to me that the golf courses for the rich folks are probably still green. That's sad.

No offense, but it sounds like your state government does a lot of odd things... Don't get me started on politics! Okay, I won't get myself started.

Yes, that could be part of the obsession. There are plenty of night blooming cacti out there. Good thing I don't have one of those. I am a night owl, but I think going outside at night while Hubby is sleeping would surely wake him up.

Purple is my favorite color. I wasn't aware there was such an orchid with such a dark purple flower.

I guess I ought to stop complaining about the rain, someone obviously enjoyed it.

Planto

o

Odd Cali, Yeah most obvious when the Terminator was elected.......Ok, no politics only cute flowering cactus and orchids and such! :D
Speaking of cute, that one seems super happy. Love its triple pinwheel flowers! Hope you don't have to give up your herd.

The purple zygo is one of my very favorite orchid types. They grow really well outdoors, here. But the color of that lip is unreal. My favorite color scheme is the blue violets shades edging toward red as in crimson. I love those intense colors in flowers and cars. Also, currently, I seem to be drawn to the blue /green and blue grey succulents I'm coming across. So neat to see a non-green leaf.

Having said all that about intense blood colored hues, here's a currently flowering epidendrum (reed) orchid hybrid in soft yellow. ;]

Sigh, Okay, today I bought some pots to organize and consolidate the myriad little pots of succulents every where......time to get to work!

o

I am going to do whatever I can to not give them up. I think I give up too easily sometimes and there are a few in my collection (including the one pictured in my previous post) that took me years to find. To give them up so easily, that would just be stupid on my part. Did you notice the little tray I had everyone in (not that you can really see everyone else)? I'm hoping that will keep them from being blown all over the place. The small pots are surrounded by larger, heavier pots.

I've never seen an orchid flower like that before. I'm not big into yellow (yeah, I can see these yellow daffodils on the sides of my post here >>), but I liek those. The shape is interesting!

Planto

o

I like daffodils, too! ;]
Well, I can see you want your plants to have a fighting chance over at your mom's. I'd be annoyed seeing my plants kicked around by storms, as well. I know there will be a way to protect them during the violent winds. The tray with heavy pots protecting the smaller ones sounds a good idea. I wonder if you have any bricks lying around to re-inforce the load on the tray? Or maybe I'm just odd and find it normal to have construction elements and rocks hidden like easter eggs all over the yard. I was hunting around for these stray rocks to place in the big succulent bowls for interest. I was happy to have a role for them after decades of ignoring them or throwing them under the trees when my toes would find them.......

The yellow orc is a reed type and pretty forgiving on its care. With attention and fertilizer I hope to grow it so one of these seasons it will blow out tons of spikes filled with dozens of upside down flowers.

Well, I spent the day ripping up established pots of sedums.....the one in a pic I posted with the blue green leaves. I really like these sedum's. Despite the invasion they were growing quite well.  photo sedum2copy.jpg
This one even had little flower spikes. Well, they no longer look like this....
 photo sedumbunch1copy.jpg

They looked happy, but, I had to suck it up and just do it. I found hordes of disgusting root mealy in the center of the masses of each plant. Had to dig 'em out, spray them and let them dry. In a few days will recheck then spray again. As I was looking at my echi herd, this big fat bold mealy was skipping along on the surface of one of the hybrids! I hate them, can't seem to get rid of them. Ugh. I bombed it with alcohol.....
Sigh......

o

Sorry, I must not have explained myself very well. I won't be taking my collection to my Mom's afterall. As soon as I said that, I started thinking of a way to keep them with me. Sadly, one of my two trays is so full of pots, I can't squeeze anything in (rocks or bricks). I did find a rock the other day for the other tray, but I'll need to pick up a few more. I'm not sure why, but the mulch here seems to have rocks in some parts of it. Hey, free weights! Lol.

I made a hasty decision, thinking of giving them to my Mom and posting that. Again, my apologies.

I'm hoping we've seen the last of the strong winds, but who knows. I had to tie the tomato plant to the patio, haha. It's blown over three times and despite thinking this time was the last time, the cage was just bent. It does need to lean on something though because one side of it is so heavy. When things grow well forme, they turn into monsters. I had a Ruellia last year... they're only supposed to be 2-3ft tall I've read. Mine was reaching 6ft. That one had to go to my MIL's to be potted in the ground. I bought a daylily yesterday... I hope that doesn't turn into another monster!

I'm sorry to hear about your mealy bug problem. I have a friend who's AVs got mealy bug somehow. She's still battling...

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 8:31

o

Okay, I do have a picture for you today. I picked this one up the other day. I'm officially out of room, indoors and out (especially indoors). That being said, this will be my last purchase... that's unless someone gifts me a plant, in which case, you can't turn down a gift lol.

Parodia leninghausii 'Golden Ball Cactus'
Parodia leninghausii 'Golden Ball Cactus' photo 100_4992_zpse8d7fb88.jpg

Planto

o

OMG! Those are beautiful big blooms!!! I've always wanted some of the mini parodias. I've seen one with a yellow flower crown that looks so cute. Never saw one with such huge flowers. You have a winner, there!

Oh no worries! I just know how the mind works when newly faced with a dilemma. Glad you resolved to keep your babies.

Monsterizing plant's not a bad quality to have. NIce to have super powered dirt. Only time mine's super powered is when I add blood and bone meal to newly potted plantings. Plants respond so well to that. I tell my mom plants are little vampire carnivores. If they had thought bubbles there'd be like an Audrey alter ego screaming "Feed Me!" Oh yeah, and then the possums dig everything up.......sigh.

No more cacti flowers. I am suspecting the tree canopy has become too dense over them. Sunlight is probably not enough. Only new flowering in the garden is another laelia hybrid. This one I've had for a few years. So nice to re-aquaint with it this week! Forgot it was a bicolor. It's scented, too.

This post was edited by aztcqn on Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 19:15

o

Small with only one flower but so cute!
Rebutia "Apricot"

o

Here's a new favorite!!!
sulcorebutia vanbaelii. This one will be spectacular with a many flowered flush next year...can't wait.

o

Haha. It had buds on it when I purchased it, so I can't take credit for the blooms. I'm not partial to yellow, but I do like the flowers on this Parodia.

That's one of my Husband's favorite movies. I purchased it for him last year sometime (I'd never seen it before). I like the 'Apricot' Rebutia, I love peach colored flowers, although that's not something you see a lot.

I really like that last one, it almost looks black. It's a Rebutia hybridized with what?

Planto

o

Hi Planto!

Me too. I like only certain yellow shades. The lighter creamier and tending towards lemon. Well, I'm sure you will be able to reproduce same kind of yellow explosion from it next round. ;]
Do you still have any plants setting another round of buds?

The red one, I believe, it's a species - sulcorebutia vanbaelii. I googled it and same type of flower and coloring came up. It is a pretty dark body on it. The flower is that dark blood (yay, crimson hue!) red, but, it has a yellow center which when open sets a neat color contrast to it. I'm not sure how sulcorebutia is in relation to rebutia. I think I read it's a subspecies.

In case you were wondering, they are new eBay acquisitions, but, they were so cute and the money sort of flew into the ether before I knew it!

The Apricot opens a nice orange, bit lighter than the muscula, then it pales the heck out to this orange sherbet cream.
Love mini cacti!

Oh wait, there's a movie named "Parodia"? I tried to look up......

This post was edited by aztcqn on Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 16:35

o

'Rose Quartz'

Planto

o

Very nice! So full and deep hued.
Here's mine. A spikier and redder version.

o

Haha, no, I was thinking of the movie "The Little Shop of Horrors" (you said Audrey). :P

Planto

o

A small focal of beauty in my world. I think it's a chamaeolobivia in tangerine. A rescue from a corner of oblivion at a local nursery. Not a good picture this time. But, any bloom, even a blurry one from my garden is better than last Friday's terrible experience.

o

Uh oh, what happened on Friday? I love the color of the flowers, not to mention... the cactus is orange? :D

Planto

o

Hi Planto,

This happened Friday
I lost my great car. Spent longer looking for it than I owned it....

;[,,,,,

This post was edited by aztcqn on Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 21:34

o

I was at a standstill in traffic when idiot rear-ends my car. Been getting treated for whiplash. I am sore, but can walk and all. Just really lost some confidence in L.A. streets. This is the third time I've had my car totaled. Each time I didn't do anything wrong. Was coming to a stop from 2 mile an hour traffic in Friday, downtown "rush" hour and bam!!!! Still smarting from the whole thing.

I forgot I had pictures on my flash drive......not much popping in the yard. I think my echis need more sun. They've decided flowering is too much work and stare back at me with poker faces.....

What's blooming in your yard?

o

Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry to hear that happened to you. Even more to hear that this is the third time you've had your car totaled!

On the bright side, you're relatively unharmed and it could have been much worse (a lady here where I live passed away yesterday from a car collision).

Lol, I don't think cacti bloom non-stop, they have to take a break ya know?

Nothing here blooming. I'm waiting for my Aloe 'Grassy Lassie' flowers to open. Any day now...

I just decided the other day that I'm going to be indeed giving my cacti and succulents to my Mom (temporarily, just so she can care for them for me until we get a house).

I was unnerved to see someone pressure washing (again) the neighboring apartment unit and feared ours would be next. He hasn't come back, but I cannot guarantee I'll always be home when they decide to pressure wash. Since he's pressure washing the exterior, we won't be getting a notice (as I was told from the apartment folks). Well, your pressure washing our balcony is going to get all over my plants, thank you kindly.

So, I know they'll be safe at my Mother's. If it's not the weather I have to worry about, it's the people who maintain the area. I think it's a good thing, the buildings do need cleaned from time to time, but, if I'm not told to move my plants and they get sprayed and die... I will be someone's worst enemy. Some of the cacti are irreplaceable. It's taken me six years to find them. I am not willing to lose those because of someone's negligence.

Sorry, I'm ranting. I'll share pictures with you when I can. But, nothing blooming this week.

I'm glad to hear you're okay. You're my cactus friend, your well-being is important.

Planto

o

Oh no, the pressure washing zealot is back?! So unfair that you can't feel your plants are safe where they are. Wind can be annoying, but, it don't gotta brain. Humans, on the other hand, don't have an excuse for laziness or blatant inconsideration or worse destructiveness. It makes me mad, when one is conscientious and worry about not imposing on the neighbor and then some miscreant (or a mental cretin) bulldozes over our property. Big BIG sore point with me. So, please! Feel free to vent.

I totally understand not risking a loss of something you've taken the time to acquire. Living babies that you plan to nurture and grow to nice specimens! Totally understand that. hhmmm, well, you get visitation rights 'til you get a private piece of property to space out a nice garden. Girl, believe me, I take major issue with stupid, irresponsible people…. especially after being the only one towed home from this recent collision. His Explorer was drivable, and the 2 cars in from of me in the pile up drove home. Yes, 3rd time some idiot plowed into me. 1st time my front end was rammed from the right when the idiot women ran a red light 4-5 seconds after it set (and everyone opposite me had stopped) red and broke my front axel in two. She was going 60 miles per hour while I was barely moving left. 2nd time (in 2010) my car went head on into the fool that cut me off. Both going at 40 miles and hour. This helped wiggle 3 discs out just a little further than good and later caused a really bad sciatica event that took out my right leg for more than a month. The current slam has set me back in the muscle spasm dept. Whiplash, crumped shoulders and neck. Right leg thigh twitching like mad sometimes, but no sciatica, thank God.

And with a knot in my stomach (anger), I begin the trial in researching and looking at ads for a similar condition car all over again. What I had, and was quite happy with-not going to ever sell, was a 2nd generation Lexus sedan, 15 years old but they were made with bulletproof engines. Took 2 years to find my car in excellent condition with 62,000 on the odometer and I want the exact same 15 year old model. Sigh. But, yes. I am getting treated, but can walk and wasn't hospitalized. Thank you, Planto, I really appreciate your words. I look forward to communicating with my cactus buddy, too. I need the connection to the prickly fat leafed admiration club. It's a welcome relief from the current hassles.

I wish that was the only problem I face, tho.
Where I live, it used to be a pleasant safe neighborhood. Just in the last 5 years, we are being drawn into a battle over securing our block from transients that park their Rv's and campers for weeks and leave their trash in the street in front of out homes. This being underwear, smelly clothes, broken furniture even condoms, bottles of beer and lurid looks. The ones without vehicles decide to hole up behind our alley and smoke and drink and urinate back there. They overturn the dumpsters and litter the alley with garbage. I hate seeing them there when I take my trash out for trash day. I hate for my Mom to be exposed to them and worry when I'm not home. Last year, I've found people using our front hose to take a bath, I've found trash, smelly blankets thrown into my yard.
It means a call to local non-emergency, sometimes, twice a week. My, whose ranting, now. :[

I sometimes lose interest in organizing the yard when I think about what I see happening to my block. I worry.

What I like about cactus and succulents is that they are quite forgiving and stay green even without a growing medium. I still have the remnants of the mealy triage, I did a month ago, putting out roots waiting for me to give them a pot. I admire their resilience. Maybe, I like this type of plants because they've shown me that you can go on despite less than ideal situations. I can't give up. Some days wear on me more than others.

I forgot to post this bloom. It's a tricho named Lavender. Quite a deep deep magenta with edges of purple. It's my moms favorite ( every new bloom becomes the current favorite). It lasted 3 1/2 days

This post was edited by aztcqn on Fri, Jul 4, 14 at 2:59

o

Thanks for letting me vent, haha. Mom has a few cacti herself and she hasn't lost any yet. In fact, the Haworthia she had (I sorta killed that one... another story for another day), bloomed several times. So, I believe they will be in good hands!

After reading your commentary on your accidents, I feel lucky that Hubby and I have never been in serious accidents. I cannot understand how someone fails to notice traffic in front of them is stopped... Will your insurance company be giving you enough compensation to purchase another car?

I... don't have the highest respect for some people, so reading your stories about the transients disgusts me. Is there nothing law enforcement can do? If they don't live there, how are they allowed to park their RVs/Campers, roam around? Is there not places for RVs and Campers to stay? I don't understand the lack of enforcement there.

Did you pot up the Sedums yet? That's amazing that they're still going! I'd like to see a picture whenever you can obtain one.

Some days are harder than others. We all have them. But like you said, we can't give up. :)

That almost looks like a 'Rose Quartz' bloom, odd how some of them are so similar!

Planto

o

Yes, it could be the RoseQ's bigger brother! I hope it will bloom with several flowers open at once in future. This one is my favorite tricho after the Flying Saucer.

The jury is still out on the haworthias - It's in the mid 80's, so I"m thinking' they may be somewhat slowing down in growth? Jeesz. it's so counter-intuitive to stop watering when they are in heatwave…. Your mom has the gift!

My insurance hasn't given an answer to my attorney, yet. There is an amount I won't accept less than but. guess, I'lll see. Rear-ender is also underinsured……
Yep. L.A. bureaucrats have decided that homeowners, tax payers do not deserve peace of mind. Here, it's allowed to sleep in your cars in public areas. Freeway in front of our house is city property. Doesn't matter if it's in a residential neighborhood. We have to wait 72 hours before the city will disperse them. Sidewalk sleepers can stay as long as they want, can't clean up their junk because it's legally their personal property, even if they just picked it out of your trash, We can call the patrol units to come check it out, but transers hide before the police come.
Since the current passel of "elected" have been in, we have less access to basic services and security. One ex. the city doesn't send a street sweeper through here, anymore, because we don't have signs on the street. So it's not even random, we're simply not on the schedule, ever. We have to call in about that.The non-emergency lines were always answered by an Officer, not the case, now, we get a recording, sometimes cycling for 15 minutes. Property tax yanked out of us, but, no services. Neighboring districts are clean. We have to fight to get that basic right to be free of litter and addicts. It's dis-heartening, but, my neighbors ( bless them ) are a unified bunch and it is a concerted effort to keep our street safe. Well, thanks for letting me go off cactus for a bit. Back to more enjoyable pursuits.

I did pot up the greater mass of sedums after a week of triage, but, they look a bit ratty. When they show new growth, I promise to post pics. ;]
Just looked at the sedums and they are not worse for wear, just too many patches from my poking through them to get all the mealies.

Oops,I lied. THIS is the oldest prickly yard inhabitant. I think some kind of notocactus. It is making nice new growth (and babies!) after years of neglect. It appreciates the new regimen of plant snacks and water.

This post was edited by aztcqn on Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 15:56

o

"nother view of noto...
Has the scars to prove it's mightiness at surviving my yard....

o

Rose Quartz! It's popped with a few more magenta flowers. I like this lil plant.

o

That Haworthia Three cornered hat intrigued me. I found this link about it. Very cool.

Here is a link that might be useful: Huntington Botanical Gardens

o

Wow! What an insanely loooong spike!
I love how the tubercles against the dark haworthia leaves glistens in strong light, like it has glass or small diamond chips on it.
Thanks for the link, Laura.

o
Not posting early, just haven't gone to bed, yet...

A red hot patch among the cacti crowd.
Sulcorebutia tunariensis.

o

here is me Stapelia Variegata with a large Bud for you :) it's grown!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here