Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ctreeteac

Bitten by the Aloe bug

Colleen E
11 years ago

If you see Aloe laeta, get it. It's hard to perfectly capture the silver hues in this plant! It's so beautiful, I can hardly stand it. Such a fortunate find.

{{gwi:524255}}

{{gwi:524256}}

{{gwi:524257}}

Also means for celebration: found my first E. with caruncles. Labeled as Echeveria 'Embossed Gem.' Not big and impressive yet, but I'll be working on that.

{{gwi:524258}}

I hope you enjoy the Aloe, Mara. :)

Comments (9)

• Beachplants
    11 years ago

Lovely Mara! Very interesting teeth as well, can certainly understand the excitement - I would be too!

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh. Haha, my name's Colleen, just to be clear. Apparently that last thought was written oddly and can come off as though I was signing my own name, or perhaps even giving the name of the Aloe. No, no, I was hoping Mara might enjoy the show iffff she doesn't already own this stunning plant!

I neglected to mention, for all here, I also saw a new Gasteria hybrid (failed to bring my camera--stupid!) yesterday, called 'Silver Sheen.' It's a robust, slightly textured spiral-er. A combination of soft light green and silver tones. The older specimen I saw was solid-colored on the top, with the undersides of the leaves having a subtle striping that I'd maybe compare to the striping you might see on G. 'Little Warty,' but less bold. This description is probably clear as mud. Anyway, I didn't have the cash for the plant, nor was I crazy over it, but I bought a small pup, which hardly resembles its adult counterpart and looks not only more striped, but more silver than the adult plant I saw. It's not a heavily textured or thick, robust plant anywhere near the extent of 'Little Warty'; it has somewhat thin leaves that are stiff and barely textured. Just not something I'd seen before.

I also saw what was labeled as a large hybrid of G. 'Superbum' that looked to me like the union of 'Superbum' and a Pachy. It's leaves are fat, comparable to a Pachy, but I'd say maybe slightly flatter on the top of the rosette, and the color was spot-on with 'Superbum.' A friend has it, so I have two leaves, and I look forward to see what'll come of them.

This post was edited by teatree on Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 12:50

• Beachplants
    11 years ago

ok...same comment ...Colleen...blah, blah..very nice! hehehe!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

That got my head a little twisted too. LOL. It has many days of aloe loveliness ahead of it. I am feeling aloe envy.....just a little.

lovely, Colleen.

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I wish it were a frequent pupper, but apparently it isn't fast to sucker. That's about the only negative for it I can see! Beautiful plant.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Where did you find it?

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The supplier for Portland Nursery is Fleetfoot & Foulweather. The owner, whose name I think I remember hearing is Doug, brings in some real beauties. We're really fortunate.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Colleen, so it's going to be species over hybrids, is it? I used to do that in San Diego, but I haven't the room anymore, so I'm going towards the lab rat Aloes.

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, it may be; I don't know! Sure is fun doing it this way, but I can appreciate both routes. I'll take whatever pretties strike my fancy.