Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
All in purples

Posted by teatree zone 8b/Oregon (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 6, 12 at 2:31

Lots of purples looking marvelous today in our about five minutes of sunshine

Big, new E. 'Black Prince,' with three leaves that almost have a variegated striping going on.
I could have just waited for my 'Prince's to grow up from leaf, but this was too pretty.

A. arboreum 'Zwartkop' and atropurpureum little ones

Dyckia 'Cherry Coke'

And the greens are always swell.
A. arboreum luteovariegatum

Hello, Pachys

And yet, unbelievably, temps near freezing tomorrow night. Plants disagree.

Colleen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: All in purples

Colleen, Nice pics girl way to go, those pics could take center stage all day long.

Right now are temp is 36 f. Wow, last few days its been about 50 f. At this time, O well the weather is always full of surprises, this weekend they say it'll be about 85 f. Now that I like.

Greg

o

Colleen,

I'm throwing my hands in the air and waving them around because I really do care at the thought of growing NWC. I've noticed something unusual (well, besides mealy outbreak) going on with my plants - it just might be that Spring Thing, although, as you noted, it's still cold - dog and bird bath water froze again.

And the Dyckia! You'll find out how deliciously painful repotting that one can be (although a carpet strap will make it moot) when you repot it. I've always wanted to have an acre populated with nothing but purple plants, and this would be a great start. It's a new cultivar for me, but I don't keep up on them.

Nice plants - shrubby Aeoniums are the best, and what's the Pachy, please? I'm going from here to my IPod I'll play 'Someday My Prince Will Come' (Miles Davis version) and it will succor me until I get my own. That's some powerful colouration happening there - I'm happy to testify to that fact.

o

The Dyckia did some major finger and cuticle stabbing during potting, that's for sure. I didn't have thick enough gloves...might also help if I could find gloves small enough to actually fit my hands, rather than having a bunch of flopping glove fingertips hanging off and in the way.

I'm assuming the Pachy is probably Pachyphytum compactum. A friend brought those leaves and asked if I wanted to grow 'em, and I said absolutely yesss. Then she said the plant had been ill, but that it was also mutating strangely, and so I said that if that were the case, I most certainly wanted them. You're welcome to one of the babies, Jeff, if you'd like a tiny thing.

I was then given a couple other green Pachy leaves that have just rooted, and God knows what they are (probably the same), but it's something to which I look forward.

Greg, I hope you get your hellishly hot weather that you like. And you can keep it once you get it! :)

o
but bronze

I'm most excited about the green-bronzes. I flopped Kalanchoe leaves in with purply Fred Ives. Root, root, root, please! So looking forward to having Kalanchoe beharensis growing, I cannot tell ya.

o

You want some Kalanchoe beharensis, too? I've got a few, including the nude form. Everybody needs a nude. I'm happy to swap you for some of that Pachyphytum.

Have you heard of these folks (see the link) - they go up and down Mexico looking for NWC. Every now and then (not often enough, IMO) they'll publish a travelogue in the CSSA Journal, showing various NWC in habitat. It's always a treat.

And I've got to get that Grapto picture set posted for ID, don't I?

Here is a link that might be useful: These Folk Have The Right Idea

o

I love purple! All wonderful plants, Colleen! I hope my Dyckia is the same as yours & grows up just like it!!

Jeff, I was lucky to meet those folks, Julia & Martin, when the SDCSS had a group go to the Wild Animal Park. They were the speakers that day. Wonderful folks! What a life they've made for themselves. We benefit with the plant knowledge they've gathered & shared!

o

Ro,

I've always missed them (though I somehow saw their vehicle once, and I've chatted with them via email - I offered to ride in a sidecar and be their cabin boy on their next journey, but I haven't heard back from them yet. Yes, I'd like to meet them sometime.

o

Purple Foliage

Succulents

o

Photobucket

o

Well, while the Pachy is palm-of-my-hand little, or really more like the center of the palm, I certainly wouldn't mind sending one. I don't know if it's up to swappable standards for one of your 'Nude's because it's still teensy, but why would I say no..? I certainly know the nude form, and it's gorgeous. I haven't seen a form of beharensis that I didn't like, really.

Kind of unrelatedly, Kalanchoe prolifera is like my favorite thing, and I saw one once over a year ago, and I left it behind. And I've never seen one again. It's a sock in the gut every time I see a picture of that plant.

Did not know of those folks! Link certainly noted. And Rosemarie, I love that Dyckia. Lethal and pretty thing. And of course, you fulfilled my major Dyckia wish, and I'm waiting on roots on it, I think...I haven't checked, but I'd assume so.

Thanks for sharing the purple foliage! Really a pretty blooming pot!

o
pretty pretty

And, looky at Jeff's gorgeous Aeonium there again. How's the Aeonium arboreum var. rubrolineatum lookin'?

o

Here be the babies. But perfectly ready for travel.

And Jeff, do I remember that you had a Sedum multiceps and it was lost?--either that or you didn't have one at all... I can't recall. But I could make a little cutting among your treasures if you wanted.

o

Purple fuzzy, you're the one
You make fetid so much fun

Photobucket

That sounds great, Colleen - if we don't stop soon we'll be sending boxes to each other on a train. I had one, a long time ago, growing in the ground in San Diego. I haven't seen one available for a long time....thank you.

o
Purple Rules like an Emperor

Colour me themed

Photobucket

And Colleen, no, not only did the cutting from this rot, but the remaining plant didn't do well this winter, but it's quite still alive.

And a preview of the shape of things to come, why don't we?

Photobucket

I miss ol' Kalanchoe tomentosa 'Super Fuzzy'
Photobucket

And how can we forget plants that represent The New Life in Growing?

Photobucket

I'll end this with a purple doughnut.

Photobucket

o

Purple fuzzy is the one alright. And yes, we should stop, but better to figure it all out now! Hah, and I feel a tad better now, having another little thing to contribute. It's nice to have S. multiceps when it's both kinda special and pretty cute.

I hope that Aeonium doesn't have a tendency to be a problem child, because it's so darn gorgeous. It makes me timid.

o

Jeff, Have you been susesful with getting seeds from your asclepiads plants? Some nice ones.

o

My newest purple, although I think it really is suppose to be red.

Crassula clavata
Photobucket

Penny

o

Nice purples, everyone!

'Voodoo'

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 7, 12 at 22:09

Does lavender count?

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here