Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ctreeteac

All in purples

Colleen E
12 years ago

Lots of purples looking marvelous today in our about five minutes of sunshine

{{gwi:524439}}

Big, new E. 'Black Prince,' with three leaves that almost have a variegated striping going on.

I could have just waited for my 'Prince's to grow up from leaf, but this was too pretty.

{{gwi:524443}}
A. arboreum 'Zwartkop' and atropurpureum little ones

{{gwi:524447}}
{{gwi:524450}}
Dyckia 'Cherry Coke'

{{gwi:524453}}
{{gwi:524456}}

And the greens are always swell.

A. arboreum luteovariegatum

{{gwi:524459}}
Hello, Pachys

{{gwi:524462}}

And yet, unbelievably, temps near freezing tomorrow night. Plants disagree.

Colleen

Comments (19)

• hijole
    12 years ago

Colleen, Nice pics girl way to go, those pics could take center stage all day long.

Right now are temp is 36 f. Wow, last few days its been about 50 f. At this time, O well the weather is always full of surprises, this weekend they say it'll be about 85 f. Now that I like.

Greg

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

Colleen,

I'm throwing my hands in the air and waving them around because I really do care at the thought of growing NWC. I've noticed something unusual (well, besides mealy outbreak) going on with my plants - it just might be that Spring Thing, although, as you noted, it's still cold - dog and bird bath water froze again.

And the Dyckia! You'll find out how deliciously painful repotting that one can be (although a carpet strap will make it moot) when you repot it. I've always wanted to have an acre populated with nothing but purple plants, and this would be a great start. It's a new cultivar for me, but I don't keep up on them.

Nice plants - shrubby Aeoniums are the best, and what's the Pachy, please? I'm going from here to my IPod I'll play 'Someday My Prince Will Come' (Miles Davis version) and it will succor me until I get my own. That's some powerful colouration happening there - I'm happy to testify to that fact.

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The Dyckia did some major finger and cuticle stabbing during potting, that's for sure. I didn't have thick enough gloves...might also help if I could find gloves small enough to actually fit my hands, rather than having a bunch of flopping glove fingertips hanging off and in the way.

I'm assuming the Pachy is probably Pachyphytum compactum. A friend brought those leaves and asked if I wanted to grow 'em, and I said absolutely yesss. Then she said the plant had been ill, but that it was also mutating strangely, and so I said that if that were the case, I most certainly wanted them. You're welcome to one of the babies, Jeff, if you'd like a tiny thing.

I was then given a couple other green Pachy leaves that have just rooted, and God knows what they are (probably the same), but it's something to which I look forward.

Greg, I hope you get your hellishly hot weather that you like. And you can keep it once you get it! :)

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm most excited about the green-bronzes. I flopped Kalanchoe leaves in with purply Fred Ives. Root, root, root, please! So looking forward to having Kalanchoe beharensis growing, I cannot tell ya.

{{gwi:524465}}

12 years ago

You want some Kalanchoe beharensis, too? I've got a few, including the nude form. Everybody needs a nude. I'm happy to swap you for some of that Pachyphytum.

Have you heard of these folks (see the link) - they go up and down Mexico looking for NWC. Every now and then (not often enough, IMO) they'll publish a travelogue in the CSSA Journal, showing various NWC in habitat. It's always a treat.

And I've got to get that Grapto picture set posted for ID, don't I?

Here is a link that might be useful: These Folk Have The Right Idea

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

I love purple! All wonderful plants, Colleen! I hope my Dyckia is the same as yours & grows up just like it!!

Jeff, I was lucky to meet those folks, Julia & Martin, when the SDCSS had a group go to the Wild Animal Park. They were the speakers that day. Wonderful folks! What a life they've made for themselves. We benefit with the plant knowledge they've gathered & shared!

12 years ago

Ro,

I've always missed them (though I somehow saw their vehicle once, and I've chatted with them via email - I offered to ride in a sidecar and be their cabin boy on their next journey, but I haven't heard back from them yet. Yes, I'd like to meet them sometime.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Purple Foliage

{{gwi:524468}}

12 years ago

{{gwi:504208}}

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, while the Pachy is palm-of-my-hand little, or really more like the center of the palm, I certainly wouldn't mind sending one. I don't know if it's up to swappable standards for one of your 'Nude's because it's still teensy, but why would I say no..? I certainly know the nude form, and it's gorgeous. I haven't seen a form of beharensis that I didn't like, really.

Kind of unrelatedly, Kalanchoe prolifera is like my favorite thing, and I saw one once over a year ago, and I left it behind. And I've never seen one again. It's a sock in the gut every time I see a picture of that plant.

Did not know of those folks! Link certainly noted. And Rosemarie, I love that Dyckia. Lethal and pretty thing. And of course, you fulfilled my major Dyckia wish, and I'm waiting on roots on it, I think...I haven't checked, but I'd assume so.

Thanks for sharing the purple foliage! Really a pretty blooming pot!

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    12 years ago

And, looky at Jeff's gorgeous Aeonium there again. How's the Aeonium arboreum var. rubrolineatum lookin'?

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here be the babies. But perfectly ready for travel.

{{gwi:524471}}

And Jeff, do I remember that you had a Sedum multiceps and it was lost?--either that or you didn't have one at all... I can't recall. But I could make a little cutting among your treasures if you wanted.

12 years ago

Purple fuzzy, you're the one
    You make fetid so much fun

{{gwi:524474}}

That sounds great, Colleen - if we don't stop soon we'll be sending boxes to each other on a train. I had one, a long time ago, growing in the ground in San Diego. I haven't seen one available for a long time....thank you.

12 years ago

Colour me themed

{{gwi:524477}}

And Colleen, no, not only did the cutting from this rot, but the remaining plant didn't do well this winter, but it's quite still alive.

And a preview of the shape of things to come, why don't we?

{{gwi:524481}}

I miss ol' Kalanchoe tomentosa 'Super Fuzzy'
    {{gwi:468780}}

And how can we forget plants that represent The New Life in Growing?

{{gwi:468786}}

I'll end this with a purple doughnut.

{{gwi:479757}}

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Purple fuzzy is the one alright. And yes, we should stop, but better to figure it all out now! Hah, and I feel a tad better now, having another little thing to contribute. It's nice to have S. multiceps when it's both kinda special and pretty cute.

I hope that Aeonium doesn't have a tendency to be a problem child, because it's so darn gorgeous. It makes me timid.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    12 years ago

Jeff, Have you been susesful with getting seeds from your asclepiads plants? Some nice ones.

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

My newest purple, although I think it really is suppose to be red.

Crassula clavata
    {{gwi:524489}}

Penny

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Nice purples, everyone!

'Voodoo'
    {{gwi:524493}}

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

Does lavender count?

{{gwi:524496}}