Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
March blooms!

Posted by teatree zone 8b/Oregon (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 3, 12 at 2:44

I have wanted to get this baby identified once and for all. And finally, flowers opening.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

G. paraguayense (I would assume), lovely little blooms

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

And OT, but Fuchsia 'Variegated Lottie Hobby' takes the cake. :) The one Fuchsia I am extremely attached to. It is one furious little grower and bloomer.

Photobucket Photobucket

Colleen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: March blooms!

The highly branched inflorescences and the flowers of the first two both say Graptopetalum, possibly paraguayense. The first may be G. superbum (formerly G. pentadrum v. superbum), but the number of leaves per rotation, and their thinness are telling me no, also paraguayense, so I'm not sure. Enjoy the tiny blossoms, they will keep on giving for a few weeks, and then the inflorescences will dry making a sort of fractal net.

Brad

o

Colleen, I can say they're a nice looking bunch for sure but the name isnt coming out, look on the alphabet thread.

Very good looking though.

Greg

o

The first can't be SuperBum' wrong color. The little red dots on the petals tells us what it is. I think also that it is graptoopetalum, for the reason I gave. I see the name of ten species decribed and named at the thime this book was written. Two were decrubed by Kiinnch. It is now classfied as a species. Lilac in color and good sun. Norma

o

Well, it sure looks like Graptopetalum paraguayense to me, which also goes by several other names which is where all my confusion comes. I've been trying to buy this/your plant for months. I buy a little plant that looks like yours labeled "G. paraguayense" and it never grows up to look like yours, which was one of my first lessons in the ever confusing world of nurseries mislabeling plants. I have Superbum and it definitely is not it. I've also seen a photo of G. paraguayense "Pinky" that has a pink flower, so this is not your plant.

So I buy this huge book on crassulaceae only to learn that this plant goes by many names. Apparently, over the years as people "discover" the plant, they give it a name, or the plant gets put in a different category, or whatever, so aka: Cotyledon paraguayensis, Echeveria paraguayensis, Sedum paraguayense.

Then to confuse things even more, there is G. paraguayense ssp.paraguayense which is suppose to be a much smaller plant that offsets more. It goes by G. weinbbergii, Sedum weinbergii, E. weinbergii and yet more. So I give up.

We'll have to wait for Rosemarie to officially name it for us! But I'm still voting for G. paraguayense.

Also, Norma, my first love is fuchsias. Built a lath house for them. I had over 150 of them growing around the house until the fuchsia mite showed up. Got tired of all the chemicals needed to control them. So now I have three.

Penny

o
RE: March bloomss!

Oops, I meant Colleen. Just whack me in the head.

o
RE: Raptopetalum superbum

This is a clump of superbum just beginning to flower. Note the purple tinge of the leaves:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o
RE: Superb superbum

Graptopetalum superbum Pictures, Images and Photos

o
Superbum flower detail

Graptopetalum superbum flower Pictures, Images and Photos

o

Oh, no, yeah, I personally have never thought the first plant was a superbum. Really, superbum has been on my extended "find" list because of its lovely growing habit.

I do have better shots of the plant itself from last summer...I am going to be overwhelmed with these two, with the amount of leaves I've kept that have recently rooted. So, Penny, you could very well have a plant with your name on it at some point. Or a bunch of leaves with your name on them.

Pretty, but not to the superbum degree!

o

And to be clear, there are two different plants I pictured... and I will be loaded up with both soon.

Phew, see, those photos prove it---superbum is lovely.

o

Colleen, I can say they're a nice looking bunch for sure but the name isnt coming out, look on the alphabet thread.

Very good looking though.

Greg

o

This is the plant I have that was labeled Graptopetalum paraguayense, but the leaves don't look right to me. Mine seem more rounded and fatter. And my Superbums are way pinker than the photos above. That is not to say that these monitors don't play nice with colors as we might wish. The flowers haven't opened yet. Tiny little things.
Penny

Photobucket

o

Colleen,

If you send me the pics, I'll try to get it ID'd - to me, it sure looks like a pure Grapto, but I don't know which one. It's not G. paraguayense, IMO.

It sure is a lovely little thing, too - anyone would be happy to grow it.

You're looking for a G. superbum? I've got an extra one.

o

I'll say the middle one with the white blooms is G. paraguayense. Not so sure about top one. If its yellow blooms had no spots I'd take a crack at it. Jeff will probably have better luck with Margrit & group on the crassulaceae.net.

Lovely Fuchsia! Beautiful plants, ALL! =)

o

Nice looking plants everyone! I love them all...

Mike:-)

o

Sure, I can send an e-mail with the pics, Jeff. I'd really appreciate the first plant IDed because it's a favorite...of my 400 favorites, probably. You certainly don't have to take the time, but if you'd like!--I think it's a pretty little thing.

And yes, superbum is on the ol' extended list of plants I should obtain at some point! In mass I think it's lovely. I have a tough time making selections among the wide range of G plants that catch the eye. Graptopetalum bellum is certainly on the list, and I actually saw one today, for the first time. And it was infested with scale. Total downer. I snatched up a very, very large E. 'Black Prince' instead.

Yes, with the yellow blooms with spots, that's one thing that's got me lost, Rosemarie. I haven't seen the right match.

Greg, I had caught your post, but I'm just slow! :) And Penny, I too love Fuchsias, and I'm praying they never become infested, albeit the aphids have really geared up in the last month and I am absolutely sick of spraying down the large plants. My mother is infatuated with Fuchsias, and so I've grown up with 'em. I take care of hers for the most part, and we have probably around eight or nine plants. Last Mother's Day we finally told my father to shove it and I ordered her a Fuchsia boliviana 'Alba' from Steve Super (very nice man on both eBay and Etsy, and I call dibs on his Aeonium undulatum he's got) that has grown like mad this winter and is just gorgeous. It was certainly worth the cash!

o
and, well,

Oh, and Penny, from here I can see how G. paraguayense would be fitting for your pictured plant there. I can maybe discern a slight difference in leaf shape among a couple of the smaller rosettes, but heck if it's hard to tell from here. I'd say it's very likely to be in the paraguayense family.

o

Brad's superbum never fails to impress - gee willikers, I love that big hunk of lovin' specimen plant.

I agree, the one with the white blooms seems to be the real G. para..

Colleen, as RoRo says, I'll post them on INC. Just send me an email to my handle, and I'll respond to you privately. That's also where I'll tell you how much I'd like cuttings of both....

o

Well, now I have a reason to grow too many of these guys. Fine with me!

E-mail sent.

o

Ok, I'm checking my plants for white blooms when they open. I have a few plants that have the same name label and certainly are in the G. paraguayense family, but I'm sure are mislabeled from the nursery because they have some differences like leaf shape, color. I keep telling myself that I really don't need to know the exact names, but I still get obbbbesssssive about it.

Colleen, Fuchsia boliviana 'Alba' is a beautiful plant and one of my favorites. You were lucky to find it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here