Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Let's see your windows

Posted by teatree zone 8b/Oregon (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 3:26

Let's see your best windows. With a teeny bit of spring sunshine, they brighten the room...or the yard.

Here are a few of my own.

H. cooperi var. truncata

H. cooperi var. cooperi

H. cooperi var. leightonii

H. retusa var. suberecta (though often seen as H. turgida var. suberecta)

I'd love to see your guys' beauties looking like glass.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Let's see your windows

I think I have the plant in the first picture, can you tell me how to take care of them, not a lot of info on the Internet. Thanks grant

o

• Posted by teatree zone 8b/Oregon (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 12:30

Sure, I can explain for you what I do. Not much! They're shade or part shade plants, and these that are windowed and have transparency I find to be more delicate--doesn't take much sunshine for them to start to turn red, which appeals to some and not to others. I have most of my Haws in the house, except during the really cloudy days of winter, when they go in the greenhouse to receive more light in order to avoid them starting to stretch and lose their form. These are by a south-facing window, and they receive nice soft morning light. During the hot days of summer we get a lot of direct sun coming in that window all day, and at that point I tend to shut the sheer curtains until the heat of the day has passed, because it's my preference to keep these guys looking green.

I water thoroughly when the soil is basically dry. Some Haworthia I find like a little bit more water than others, and these I never let go dry long. (Granted, they need good well-draining soil.) With other Haworthia I decrease watering a bit during the heat of summer--because these are winter growers--but unlike what most do, I just haven't done that that with these plants shown and, for me, they really haven't lost their plumpness during summer inside the house. The last plant pictured in particular I find has shriveled leaves when I cut back water at any point and let it go dry a day or so, so I know I give it more water than others might.

The first plant is just a gem. I wanted it so badly, I can't tell ya. I hope yours does well for you.

This post was edited by teatree on Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 12:35

o

Those window plants are so cool!!!

o

Yay! I can finally share something, I have windows!

This is my H. cooperi var truncata, up close

But it's actually only this big lol

H. maughanii truncata

H. cooperi dielsiana

o

When I first saw the title, I said to myself, "Self, I don't have windows for plants so why bother." Needless to say, I am glad I ventured to take a look. You all have very nice Haws and the photography is wonderful. You have to love windows!!!!!

now, if anyone has some different names for these, please come forward. I won't be upset.... promise!

H. retusa acuminata variegata photo DSC_-Hawothia-retusa-acumin_zps8396ea26.jpg

H. truncata v cassa photo DSC_Haworthia-truncata-cras_zps2d81d84c.jpg

H. springbokvlakensis photo DSC_Haworthia-springbokvlak_zps3c9ee4a7.jpg

I believe this one sometimes is called H. truncata v maughanii

H. 'Sizunamie' photo DSC_Haworthia-Sizunamie_zps5d0ef593.jpg

photo DSC_Haworthia-laeta_zpse90ca3c0.jpg

photo DSC_Haworthia-emelyae_zpsbb08555a.jpg

photo DSC_Haworthia-comptoniana_zps4513ec28.jpg

If someone might help with a name for this.... please!

photo DSC_Haworthia5_zps881c0f59.jpg

photo DSC_H-venosa-v-tesselata-1_zpsf9790b5a.jpg

photo DSC_H-turgida-v-suberecta-1_zps167c4cf6.jpg

H. truncata photo DSC_H-truncata_zps1d3200a5.jpg

photo DSC_H-pygmaea-v-pygmaea-1_zpsde4336ec.jpg

photo DSC_H-pygmaea-v-argenteo-1_zps0087e8bc.jpg

H. maughanii photo DSC_H-maughanii_zps34161007.jpg

o

Lovely Haws!

o

Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 16:50

Such nice plants, you guys! Love that H. cooperi dielsiana!

H. springbokvlakensis is to die for. Can't wait to see how that one grows up, Howard. And gosh, love comptoniana. Wish I'd find one. And great truncatas; I didn't manage to get my two small ones photographed decently yesterday.

o

Colleen, my friend at he greenhouse near Lansing has tons of windowed Haws.... next trip I'm taking my camera so all of you can share...

o

Just beautiful everyone. Love me some Haworthias!!! I have some but not with windows that can compare to those. Bravo to you all.

o

The only thing in my windows are African violets,in the bay window,and some kind of tall thin leaved plants in the west window.I can never remember the name of them,or even if I know it.Will have to post a picture of them for an id.

I like all the ones shown here so far.Most of my plants are grown outside.
kathi

o

Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 16:39

Oh, that's not what I mean, Kathi. :) I mean the windows of like a Haworthia. The translucent parts where light streams through and creates a glowing effect. No need to worry about what's inside or out.

I'd love to see your friends' Haw collection, Howard. A lot of us would enjoy that sometime.

o

I agree with teatree on the H. springbokvlakensis. And I like the H. retusa var. suberecta. I don't have dotted haworthias!

"Thou shall not covet thy neighbour's haworthia" is not in the list. I checked!

This post was edited by fakechuchi on Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 13:55

o

There must be one of you that has a possible ID for this Haworthia... you sure you don't know what it is????

o

Okay, I'll take a shot, since it looks like the one in my short list when I went haworthia crazy last December. Probably a Haworthia turgida var. longibracteata?

Argh, It looks magnificent.

Pagan

o

Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 13:16

I really don't know, Howard. I wish I did. But I like it. It's nicely windowed. I'd adopt it. I can snoop around today and see if I find anything similar, but I doubt I'd be the one to find a match.

o

Thanks teatree for the explanation.Takes this old brain awhile to figure things out sometimes.LOL

Howard I don't know what that is ,but I sure do like it,as well as a lotof the others in this post.I do have some haworthias,but photobucket is still not my friend.I need to find another hosting site for my photos.
TFS everyone.
kathi

o

Thanks teatree for the explanation.Takes this old brain awhile to figure things out sometimes.LOL

Howard I don't know what that is ,but I sure do like it,as well as a lotof the others in this post.I do have some haworthias,but photobucket is still not my friend.I need to find another hosting site for my photos.
TFS everyone.
kathi

o

While this is a sidebar to this thread, might I ask, Kathi, what problems you have with Photobucket? I must say after they changed the format, it took me a bit to figure things out but now I'm back to square one and things are fine... so maybe I can help you.

o

Here are some Windows, but not on Haworthia...

This is Peperomia ferreyrae.

Christopher

o

They are run of the mill. I almost did not want to show them in this illustrious crowd, but I still like them plenty. And I love both of these pictures.

Haworthia blooms

But This little thing has so much presence for being so tiny.

Haworthia

Haworthia

o

Run of the mill?! Wantonamara, it has red bits! How does it do that? Is that a light thing or does that specific species just randomly turn red? The pictures are very good, showing the windows quite well.

Also, my H. cooperi dielsiana did something shocking---it flowered. It's almost done now and I don't know what to do. Should I clip off the stem or will it dislodge itself on its own?

Pagan

o

I think the red is because they got winter sun and cool temperatures outside most of the winter for at least part of the day (morning and late afternoon).. They are under a porch roof but the sun is low in the winter and it gets more of it.

o

Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 22:55

The stress color red is a lovely sunshine effect. Some find it delightful. I try to avoid it, but I'm a nut for green.

I usually hold on to the plant and gently yank out (I know "gently" and "yank" suggest two different things, haha) the expired bloom stalk when the flower show is about over. Alternatively, some people would rather their Haworthias not bloom, but instead put their energy toward growing, and they yank the flower stalk when it's first emerging (the flowers aren't impressive, and I admit I've done that before).

But it's probably safest just to wait until the stalk is dying out, as I suppose you could have an accident with the yanking and break a leaf on the plant while holding on. If you leave the flower stalk alone after flowering, it will eventually die out until it's brittle--hollow, almost--and can easy be pulled out of the plant. I know a lot of people cut off the majority of the stem once flowers have expired, and then wait for the remainder of the stalk to go brittle so it can be easily pulled.

Mara, I don't know how you could not want to post those pictures. The H. cooperi looks fantastic. It's not as though I have any super-special Haws, either. Mine are all pretty run-of-the-mill too.

I've been wondering, Mara, has your Haworthia you bought, oh, maybe last fall doing well still? I can't recall if it was a H. bolusii or similar in hairy-looking nature, but I remember it was adorable. I hope it has done really well for you.

This post was edited by teatree on Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 23:04

o

Yes my H. bolusii is doing fine.

This post was edited by wantonamara on Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 23:48

o

Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 23:16

So glad to hear it!

o

Well, maybe I have a name for my unknown Haw: Haworthia emelyae var. multifolia

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/HAWORTHIA/Haworthia_emelyae/Haworthia_emelyae_multifolia/haworthia_emelyae_var_multifolia.htm

o

Umm... I don't think I saw one window in this thread, lol... But a lot of great comments. Enjoying everyone's garden tips.

Greg

o

Howard, I happened to see a Haworthia emelyae var. multifolia this afternoon! It was a match for yours. For what that's worth.

o

H. cooperi truncata is always easy to show the windows

This post was edited by noki on Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 2:16

o

H. cooperi venusta is kinda fuzzy

o

H. bayeri has some classy matte windows

o

bought some new "Toes", they always lose the neat habit

o

Ooooooooh you lucky thing! H. cooperi venusta is so awesome! One day I will get one. Windows AND fuzzyness.

And the others are superb. Your truncata is really looking beautiful there. That photograph trumps mine. It's like glass.

And the 'toes' are so precious. I've never had the guts to get some, but with a greenhouse, I am really tempted now.

This post was edited by teatree on Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 2:26

o

Very nice windows, everyone! Congrats on a great thread, Colleen! Here's my addition... unfortunately, many of my Haws are in big bins that I cannot move to position them in the sun.

o

Aww, I'm sorry for everyone that you can't get those windows pictured right now--understandable, though. I should have considered those with Haws in large containers! You could certainly post them without their windows highlighted, though. ;)

o

Hard to figure out how to show Lithops windows in a pic... but I gave it a try

o

And you succeeded!

o

Wow! So beautiful! This was such a great idea to have people submit images of see through succulents with light coming through. I absolutely love it! Now I just need to get one of these so I can share in the fun :)

o

I'm bringing it back. Where's my Colleen?
H. pygmeae

o

H. tessellata

o

some type of H. cymbiformis?

o

H. emelyae var. comptoniana parts after surgery... thanks Howard

o

Discarded Lithops leaf

o

I ordered a flashlight with a fiber-optic extension just so I could take photos like this. So far, not so good. I think I need a professional.

o

Woo! Colleen's over here recovering from the flu! Don't get too close...

I have great hopes for those H. emelyae leaves! I don't have great hopes for my own Haw leaves I removed...I'll have to try again...but for you, I have hope. And not even at all secretly selfish hope, although I love that plant and need to get myself one. :)

Don't tell me those are recent acquisitions, Ryan? heehee

o

Ryan, you must post your progress. Here's hoping for 110% success!!!!! I have another large Haworthia... I may have to send it to you for surgery! It's the one on the right, as if you couldn't tell...LOL

o

Just browsing along and came across Show your windows............wow, you guys really have some nice pictures!!!!

o

Well as I must have missed this thread the first time around ...

Haw. emeylae (an older pic as I was too lazy to trot over and take current pic)

Feb 2011 photo IMG_7862.jpg

In summer "tan" mode

June 2013 photo IMG_9528_zps6ec80e0e.jpg

o

The closest i have to a window plant is the common hawthoria in the dish garden, and thats not even close.......

o

Great plants everyone!

o

I wish you'd not only see my windows, but do them too.

photo DSC09367.jpg

o

Here's some that survived temps in the teens under a sheet. Hopefully that won't keep happening, extremely unusual here! Haworthias are definitely not tropical divas though.

o

Tiffany,

They look like they'll do OK - these plants can handle somewhat surprisingly lowish temps if they're dry, a trait they share with lots of other succs.

o

Nothing like your awesome collection, but TYVM! That's what the excellent advice given here said, seems to be working, for what such measures can do combined with this weather. There's some dead plants in this thing, but Haworthias in particular look OK, 6 diff ones (but not all window type - wow this forum is awful for enabling!) I haven't watered this for about 6-7 weeks now.

Tomorrow is designated for a drink - very warm nights predicted until Wed, a couple nights flirting with frost, then back to spring tease.

And BTW, the metal objects are to hold the sheet up above most of the plants a bit. It's hard to get a good pic of this thing with all the white paint around it.

Did you find anyone to wash your windows yet? That's no small task - wow!

o

Here's an update of one of my Haw's that I posted some time ago that is now growing a second pup on an old flower spike. And, I see a new spike just emerging to the right... could we have triplets????!!!!!

o

I don't have an ID for this but assume it is a hybrid of H. truncate and H. maughani. Any help with a proper name?????

o

After seeing the beautiful results Ryan (hanzrobo) shared with us of his seedlings, I thought I'd take a chance and share my meager presentation. These are truncate crosses.

o

Biker - I've never seen a pup grow from a flower spike! It's very interesting. Your hybrid does seem to be a cross between a truncata and maughanii - not sure if there are any specific names for these hybrids. Your seedlings also look great!

To contribute to this thread, here is my H. truncata before it lost all it's roots this winter. Hopefully it will grow them back this spring.

o

Here are some of mine:

H. (truncata x maughanii) x 'Fired Iron' hybrid

'Mirror Ball'

Another truncata x maughanii hybrid

This post was edited by salt_creep on Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 20:14

o

H. 'Toby'

H. truncata reverse variegated

H. cooperi variegated

H. 'Window Light'

H. 'Cuspidata' reverse variegated

This post was edited by salt_creep on Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 20:28

o

sure am loving all these pictures. Those Haw plants fascinate me. Are they easy to grow. They look so delicate. Could they withstand the hot weather in California and then when it gets down in the 30's?

Neysa

o

H.cymbformis reddii

photo 009_zps051c17d5.jpg

H. magnifica v.major ? In survival mode after about three seaons of neglect.

photo a5b9f0a7-9133-44ee-8b08-b0db6a73e295_zps96ae473f.jpg

o

Slat, your Haws are unbelievable. I would love to know some names and where you may have purchased them... I know that's a lot to ask....

o

Salt, your windows are truly amazing, Thank you. I too am curious about the names.

o

Here is my Baby Toes

Big 'ole Lithops that could use a drink

H. Truncata v. Tenuis

H. Cooperii
Haworthia

These might be Haworthia?

Either H. 'Hummel's Hybrid' or 'Many''s Hybrid' as far as I can tell

H. Tesselata

H. Cymbiformis v. Obtusa

H. Marginata

H. Fat Retusa

H. Mirabulis Mundula

I also have a Mirabulis v. Badia that I apparently do not have a picture of.

o

I've edited my posts to add the names, sorry about that! :)
Bikerdoc, I buy some plants from online (eBay, etc) or at cactus shows, and the 'Toby' is my own hybrid that I grew from seed. The variegated truncata was a gift from my brother, who grows quite a few of them.

Here's another nice window plant:

Bulbine bruynsii

This post was edited by salt_creep on Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 20:50

o

Here are plants that are mostly windows: Lithops!

o

Hi Sundewd, your H. mirabilis mundula might actually be a H. pygmaea (it's got the nice rough texture on the leaves). H. mirabilis mundula has smoother leaves with jagged-edged windows.

o
RE: Let's see your wintdows

Well, I was actually struggling to recall the name of it, tbh. It was one I picked up at a store years back so it very well could have been mislabled from the start. Thanks for the name tip! :)

Turns out I have several more I haven't pictured yet.

o

photo DSC01002.jpg

photo DSC00554.jpg

photo DSC00563.jpg

photo DSC01452.jpg

photo DSC01453.jpg

photo DSC00895.jpg

o

loving all your pictures

Neysa

o

What're all those little Aloe (?) leaves you've got going in that last pot, Jeff? A. arenicola? I also wanna get closer to that Gasteria in the center, and to its neighbors, the silvery little Gasteria twins. And that gorgeous variegated H. maughanii? Impressing everyone.

My truncata needs to hurry up and produce some offsets. They get so awesome when they do.

Really sweet H. cooperi, Sundewd. A variety I'm keeping my eye out for. I could have 400 different H. cooperis and not tire of them.

That is some incredible collection, Salt. H. 'Mirror Ball' is the biggest dream for me. I've seen it make its rounds on eBay, and I gotta say it's painful not to bid.

This post was edited by teatree on Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 2:24

o

• Posted by hablu z8 Netherlands (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 7:30

Here's a Senecio showing it's windows in the sunlight

greets Harry

o

• Posted by hablu z8 Netherlands (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 10:13

and a little Peromia columella

Harry

o

Salt Creep, you have some truly amazing plants! Absolutely LOVE the H. truncata reverse variegated, and that H. 'Cuspidata' reverse variegated! Never seen nor heard of Bulbine bruynsii before. That thing is awesome! How tall is it?

Gorgeous pot of Lithops. If I ever manage to master them, I would want a selection like yours!

o

I have just come to understand my lithops, having successfully grown them through a season and a half now. :) That seems to be the key with these rock plants... Have to keep them alive for a season or two so you can actually get a chance to learn about them. Unfortunately, all the literature on the web can't help you much with these plants, because while for me they may grow all year round, for you they may only grow during summer, spring or fall. Perhaps in the dead of winter. They are funny that way. The argyroderma still have ne stumped though... No matter what season it is, here's what happens: they shrivel to the point where I think "surely they need water". So I give them a few sprays from a mist bottle. They proceed to either. A.) Not respond. Or B.) Rot and die. I am convinced they don't really grow in the wild and some lab somewhere makes them as some sort of sick joke. D.

o

Paul, thanks for the compliments! The Bulbine bruynsii is about 3 inches tall... it's a winter-growing succulent that loses its leaves in the summer, and survives underground with tuberous roots. It's one of the more difficult species to grow. I only just got it this past fall and I sure hope it lives and comes back next fall!

With Lithops, you just have to keep them dry all winter until the new leaves emerge and absorb the old pair, then water them now and then during spring and early fall (just light spraying during the heat of summer, if it gets very hot where you live). And they need good air circulation all year.

o

I love how these windows look like Martian eyes.

Haworthia 'Army'

o

Here's a few more. Looking a bit rough from being outdoors all winter.

This has been inside though. It got wet by accident. I'm gonna let it dry so those layers on the smaller one will fall away.

And more baby toes, young clustering division from the ones shown earlier.

o

Here is one of my Haworthia... not exactly "windowed". I am not certain that the name is correct, so any other suggestions are welcome. Thx, Howard

o

Well, it's a beautiful Haworthia alright, Howard. One I'd like to find.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here