Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ctreeteac

Let's see your windows

Colleen E
11 years ago

Let's see your best windows. With a teeny bit of spring sunshine, they brighten the room...or the yard.

Here are a few of my own.

H. cooperi var. truncata

{{gwi:524741}}

H. cooperi var. cooperi

{{gwi:524743}}

{{gwi:524745}}

{{gwi:524747}}

H. cooperi var. leightonii

{{gwi:524749}}

H. retusa var. suberecta (though often seen as H. turgida var. suberecta)

{{gwi:524750}}

I'd love to see your guys' beauties looking like glass.

Comments (81)

• noki
    11 years ago

bought some new "Toes", they always lose the neat habit

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ooooooooh you lucky thing! H. cooperi venusta is so awesome! One day I will get one. Windows AND fuzzyness.

And the others are superb. Your truncata is really looking beautiful there. That photograph trumps mine. It's like glass.

And the 'toes' are so precious. I've never had the guts to get some, but with a greenhouse, I am really tempted now.

This post was edited by teatree on Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 2:26

• hanzrobo
    11 years ago

Very nice windows, everyone! Congrats on a great thread, Colleen! Here's my addition... unfortunately, many of my Haws are in big bins that I cannot move to position them in the sun.

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Aww, I'm sorry for everyone that you can't get those windows pictured right now--understandable, though. I should have considered those with Haws in large containers! You could certainly post them without their windows highlighted, though. ;)

• noki
    11 years ago

Hard to figure out how to show Lithops windows in a pic... but I gave it a try

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And you succeeded!

• cameracassidy
    11 years ago

Wow! So beautiful! This was such a great idea to have people submit images of see through succulents with light coming through. I absolutely love it! Now I just need to get one of these so I can share in the fun :)

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

I'm bringing it back. Where's my Colleen?
    H. pygmeae

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

H. tessellata

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

some type of H. cymbiformis?

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

H. emelyae var. comptoniana parts after surgery... thanks Howard

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Discarded Lithops leaf

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

I ordered a flashlight with a fiber-optic extension just so I could take photos like this. So far, not so good. I think I need a professional.

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Woo! Colleen's over here recovering from the flu! Don't get too close...

I have great hopes for those H. emelyae leaves! I don't have great hopes for my own Haw leaves I removed...I'll have to try again...but for you, I have hope. And not even at all secretly selfish hope, although I love that plant and need to get myself one. :)

Don't tell me those are recent acquisitions, Ryan? heehee

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Ryan, you must post your progress. Here's hoping for 110% success!!!!! I have another large Haworthia... I may have to send it to you for surgery! It's the one on the right, as if you couldn't tell...LOL

• Neysa
    10 years ago

Just browsing along and came across Show your windows............wow, you guys really have some nice pictures!!!!

• paul_
    10 years ago

Well as I must have missed this thread the first time around ...

Haw. emeylae (an older pic as I was too lazy to trot over and take current pic)

{{gwi:524783}}

In summer "tan" mode

{{gwi:524784}}

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

The closest i have to a window plant is the common hawthoria in the dish garden, and thats not even close.......

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Great plants everyone!

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

I wish you'd not only see my windows, but do them too.

{{gwi:524785}}

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Here's some that survived temps in the teens under a sheet. Hopefully that won't keep happening, extremely unusual here! Haworthias are definitely not tropical divas though.

10 years ago

Tiffany,

They look like they'll do OK - these plants can handle somewhat surprisingly lowish temps if they're dry, a trait they share with lots of other succs.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Nothing like your awesome collection, but TYVM! That's what the excellent advice given here said, seems to be working, for what such measures can do combined with this weather. There's some dead plants in this thing, but Haworthias in particular look OK, 6 diff ones (but not all window type - wow this forum is awful for enabling!) I haven't watered this for about 6-7 weeks now.

Tomorrow is designated for a drink - very warm nights predicted until Wed, a couple nights flirting with frost, then back to spring tease.

And BTW, the metal objects are to hold the sheet up above most of the plants a bit. It's hard to get a good pic of this thing with all the white paint around it.

Did you find anyone to wash your windows yet? That's no small task - wow!

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Here's an update of one of my Haw's that I posted some time ago that is now growing a second pup on an old flower spike. And, I see a new spike just emerging to the right... could we have triplets????!!!!!

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

I don't have an ID for this but assume it is a hybrid of H. truncate and H. maughani. Any help with a proper name?????

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

After seeing the beautiful results Ryan (hanzrobo) shared with us of his seedlings, I thought I'd take a chance and share my meager presentation. These are truncate crosses.

• cardiovascular
    10 years ago

Biker - I've never seen a pup grow from a flower spike! It's very interesting. Your hybrid does seem to be a cross between a truncata and maughanii - not sure if there are any specific names for these hybrids. Your seedlings also look great!

To contribute to this thread, here is my H. truncata before it lost all it's roots this winter. Hopefully it will grow them back this spring.

• salt_creep
    10 years ago

Here are some of mine:

{{gwi:524786}}
    H. (truncata x maughanii) x 'Fired Iron' hybrid

{{gwi:524787}}
    'Mirror Ball'

{{gwi:524788}}
    Another truncata x maughanii hybrid

This post was edited by salt_creep on Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 20:14

• salt_creep
    10 years ago

{{gwi:524789}}
    H. 'Toby'

{{gwi:524791}}
    H. truncata reverse variegated

{{gwi:524794}}
    H. cooperi variegated

{{gwi:524795}}
    H. 'Window Light'

{{gwi:524797}}
    H. 'Cuspidata' reverse variegated

This post was edited by salt_creep on Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 20:28

• Neysa
    10 years ago

sure am loving all these pictures. Those Haw plants fascinate me. Are they easy to grow. They look so delicate. Could they withstand the hot weather in California and then when it gets down in the 30's?

Neysa

• nomen_nudum
    10 years ago

H.cymbformis reddii

{{gwi:524799}}

H. magnifica v.major ? In survival mode after about three seaons of neglect.

{{gwi:524801}}

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Slat, your Haws are unbelievable. I would love to know some names and where you may have purchased them... I know that's a lot to ask....

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Salt, your windows are truly amazing, Thank you. I too am curious about the names.

• Sundewd
    10 years ago

Here is my Baby Toes
    {{gwi:524803}}
    {{gwi:524806}}

Big 'ole Lithops that could use a drink
    {{gwi:524807}}

H. Truncata v. Tenuis
    {{gwi:524808}}

H. Cooperii
    {{gwi:524809}}

These might be Haworthia?
    {{gwi:524810}}
    {{gwi:524811}}
    {{gwi:524812}}

Either H. 'Hummel's Hybrid' or 'Many''s Hybrid' as far as I can tell
    {{gwi:524813}}

H. Tesselata
    {{gwi:524814}}

H. Cymbiformis v. Obtusa
    {{gwi:524815}}

H. Marginata
    {{gwi:524816}}

H. Fat Retusa
    {{gwi:524817}}

H. Mirabulis Mundula
    {{gwi:524818}}

I also have a Mirabulis v. Badia that I apparently do not have a picture of.

• salt_creep
    10 years ago

I've edited my posts to add the names, sorry about that! :)
    Bikerdoc, I buy some plants from online (eBay, etc) or at cactus shows, and the 'Toby' is my own hybrid that I grew from seed. The variegated truncata was a gift from my brother, who grows quite a few of them.

Here's another nice window plant:

{{gwi:524819}}

Bulbine bruynsii

This post was edited by salt_creep on Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 20:50

• salt_creep
    10 years ago

Here are plants that are mostly windows: Lithops!

{{gwi:524820}}

• salt_creep
    10 years ago

Hi Sundewd, your H. mirabilis mundula might actually be a H. pygmaea (it's got the nice rough texture on the leaves). H. mirabilis mundula has smoother leaves with jagged-edged windows.

{{gwi:524821}}

• Sundewd
    10 years ago

Well, I was actually struggling to recall the name of it, tbh. It was one I picked up at a store years back so it very well could have been mislabled from the start. Thanks for the name tip! :)

Turns out I have several more I haven't pictured yet.

10 years ago

{{gwi:433706}}

{{gwi:501537}}

{{gwi:501539}}

{{gwi:524822}}

{{gwi:524824}}

{{gwi:493653}}

• Neysa
    10 years ago

loving all your pictures

Neysa

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What're all those little Aloe (?) leaves you've got going in that last pot, Jeff? A. arenicola? I also wanna get closer to that Gasteria in the center, and to its neighbors, the silvery little Gasteria twins. And that gorgeous variegated H. maughanii? Impressing everyone.

My truncata needs to hurry up and produce some offsets. They get so awesome when they do.

Really sweet H. cooperi, Sundewd. A variety I'm keeping my eye out for. I could have 400 different H. cooperis and not tire of them.

That is some incredible collection, Salt. H. 'Mirror Ball' is the biggest dream for me. I've seen it make its rounds on eBay, and I gotta say it's painful not to bid.

This post was edited by teatree on Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 2:24

• hablu
    10 years ago

Here's a Senecio showing it's windows in the sunlight

greets Harry

• hablu
    10 years ago

and a little Peromia columella

Harry

• paul_
    10 years ago

Salt Creep, you have some truly amazing plants! Absolutely LOVE the H. truncata reverse variegated, and that H. 'Cuspidata' reverse variegated! Never seen nor heard of Bulbine bruynsii before. That thing is awesome! How tall is it?

Gorgeous pot of Lithops. If I ever manage to master them, I would want a selection like yours!

• Sundewd
    10 years ago

I have just come to understand my lithops, having successfully grown them through a season and a half now. :) That seems to be the key with these rock plants... Have to keep them alive for a season or two so you can actually get a chance to learn about them. Unfortunately, all the literature on the web can't help you much with these plants, because while for me they may grow all year round, for you they may only grow during summer, spring or fall. Perhaps in the dead of winter. They are funny that way. The argyroderma still have ne stumped though... No matter what season it is, here's what happens: they shrivel to the point where I think "surely they need water". So I give them a few sprays from a mist bottle. They proceed to either. A.) Not respond. Or B.) Rot and die. I am convinced they don't really grow in the wild and some lab somewhere makes them as some sort of sick joke. D.

• salt_creep
    10 years ago

Paul, thanks for the compliments! The Bulbine bruynsii is about 3 inches tall... it's a winter-growing succulent that loses its leaves in the summer, and survives underground with tuberous roots. It's one of the more difficult species to grow. I only just got it this past fall and I sure hope it lives and comes back next fall!

With Lithops, you just have to keep them dry all winter until the new leaves emerge and absorb the old pair, then water them now and then during spring and early fall (just light spraying during the heat of summer, if it gets very hot where you live). And they need good air circulation all year.

• salt_creep
    10 years ago

I love how these windows look like Martian eyes.

{{gwi:524827}}
    Haworthia 'Army'

• Sundewd
    10 years ago

Here's a few more. Looking a bit rough from being outdoors all winter.
    {{gwi:524829}}
    {{gwi:524830}}
    {{gwi:524831}}
    {{gwi:524833}}
    This has been inside though. It got wet by accident. I'm gonna let it dry so those layers on the smaller one will fall away.
    {{gwi:524835}}
    And more baby toes, young clustering division from the ones shown earlier.
    {{gwi:524836}}

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Here is one of my Haworthia... not exactly "windowed". I am not certain that the name is correct, so any other suggestions are welcome. Thx, Howard

• Colleen E
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, it's a beautiful Haworthia alright, Howard. One I'd like to find.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County