Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lina81_gw

Professional advice on sempervivum please

lina81
11 years ago

Hi I have attached the picture of my purple passion semp, why it keeps shriveling their leaves?? while shooting out 2 chicks, but in the same pot 2 others not even shriveling or dry leaves at all. is it too much or lack of water?? what happened? the chicks are fine, the other friends are fine... after I cut half off the rossette ( because of initial dried and wrinkled leaves on the half part).what should I do...? please help anyone ....

Comments (7)

• lina81
    Original Author
    11 years ago

this is the pic of the semp

• Colleen E
    11 years ago

What are you doing to care for them, and where are they positioned? Make sure they have adequate light. If they're inside the house, that's your main problem because these are not house plants; they want to be out in the elements. They need very little water, but when you do water, water rather than mist the plant.

• lina81
    Original Author
    11 years ago

this is the pic of the semp

{{!gwi}}

• lina81
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi thanks for the reply, i put in on east facing windowsill. and other semp in other pots are doing well. and then again in the same pot on the pic, 2 others sempervivums grows well with chicks. if water rather than just mist them, do you know how much it should be watered?? just as long as the surface soil is wet or until the whole pot soil is wet?
    is this semp survived in cold breezy night outside?

thank you

• Colleen E
    11 years ago

Very rarely water. I'd say when it's completely dry. But if the soil retains water well (ie. if it's in regular potting soil or so-called cacti/succulent soil sold in stores), that's what's gonna get you if you're doing that in combination with having the plants inside the house. The plants would prefer a well-draining mix that doesn't retain the moisture very long. Normally I'd say water until water comes through the hole in the bottom of the pot, but if you don't have a well-draining soil mix and because these are inside, I might recommend only watering a little bit around the plants, not so the whole pot's soil is wet. But that's just a guess; my Semps don't live as houseplants, and they dry out much faster outside.

Semps survive pretty cold winters just fine. I'd recommend out in an area where, if you get a lot of snow, the snow can pile on top and act as insulation over the plant. They're totally fine through most people's winters, but I'm in Oregon, so horrid winters aren't a huge concern here. It'd help to know where you're located.

Mainly I'd just say, these aren't indoor plants and your problem might be somewhat fixed if they were put outside. Inadequate light and overwatering can create the appearance you have going on some of the leaves. But I know someone who had theirs looking similar with not enough water...but also inside the house. It's tough to get these guys to do well inside. It can be done, but they won't necessarily thrive, in my experience.

This post was edited by teatree on Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 17:05

• lina81
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi thanks for your replies, I am located in NY. and I am using mixture of cacti soil and mostly pumice on the surface and I mix a lil bit peat moss. I try to put them outside in summer, but winter is pretty cold here.
    thanks again.

• brodyjames_gw
    11 years ago

Hi Lina,

Mix the pumice into the cactus soil, and don't use any more peat moss.
    These plants will survive your winters just fine; I'm in Wisconsin and they stay outside all year here. Just plant them in a sunny area; no need to amend the soil (unless it is clay), and they will take off.

Nancy