Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone have any advice for this interesting plant?

Posted by Leighla none (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 6:11

Hi all! I'm to this forum and sort of new to growing plants in general.

Over the past year I've really taken a liking to cacti and succulents. We've got a number on our terrace here in Rome, Italy. I leave all of them out over the winter since it hardly ever gets below freezing temps.

I've got this plant (below) that I'm not quite sure what it is, or if it normally looks like this (v leggy?). It's always been sitting on a windowsill that barely gets much sun, and I have a feeling it needs more than it's getting.

So my question for you is.. how do I take better care of this plant? Should I move it to the terrace where it will get around 5-6 hours of direct sunlight/per day? And should I cut it back?

Thanks very much, and happy easter!
Leighla

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone have any advice for this interesting plant?

Yes! Whack it! You have an Aeonium atropurpureum or similar that is old and has grown tall and is in desperate need of pruning. I would all of the arms back so the heads have about 4" of attached stem. Allow to callous for a week and replant. The remaining stems may grow new heads.

o

Bikerdoc, thanks for your advice - I took it. :) Not so pretty, but I suppose it's better than how it was!

o

You DID keep the heads (rosettes) to plant, right? =)
Good for you for being so brave to whack!

o

Rosemariero, I've got them yes, but haven't planted them.. not sure what do with them as there are so many! Don't have the space.. I may have to give some to our neighbors. :)

o

Is now the time to prune these? Mine could use a trim, but they have more or less ceased growth now.

Josh

o

Looked kinda like a shchorzcof (LOL excuse my horrible predictive text and my lack of spelling) haha, plant the heads or Send some to ME for my collection of succulents!

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 13:10

Aeonium arboreum 'Zwartkop' , Dutch for "black head". Also seen as German name 'Schwartzkopf' or 'Schwarzkopf' with same meaning.

These are winter growers and summer dormant--though if summer temperatures are very mild (low 60's), they keep growing. The best time to whack them here is in early fall, right before they start growing again as summer head subsides.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here