Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to care for these guys

Posted by cghpnd 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 7:26

Hey yall, I have 2 Haworthia Aloesand a small craft cactus that i bought from Home depot.

How should I care for them ? What I have been reading in other places are giving me mixed messages. I have read they love water, they hate water, etc.

How big do these guys get?
When/if i should repot them ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to care for these guys

Pictures would give us a fighting chance of answering your question.

o

Sorry, thought there was a picture included. I'm still trying to figure out how to use this site.

I just noticed some new growth on both of them and also a brown tip on a few of the smaller leaves. Is that what they are called, leaves?

o

Also how big do the haworthias get? Out of no where my liking for plants emerged and I have been buying plants left and right. =/

o

Many Haworthias are compact plants, suitable for a small collection, and tolerating partial shade. They are often seen below the staging in glasshouses, but may not develop their full colour in such a position. Their growing season tends to be during the winter months and roots are often lost during summer months. Watering at the wrong time of year may kill the plant, so some sensitivity to the active growing cycle is required. Haworthias produce spikes of small white tubular flowers, but are generally grown for their decorative leaf markings and architectural forms. Occasional watering with systemic insecticides based on Imidacloprid will keep the plants free of mealy bugs, their main pest. Credit goes to The Haworthia page.

o

Hi Cgh, welcome to Gardenweb! I love how you named them, good luck!

o

Thanks for the response.
What does the "roots get lost" mean?

Thanks Purple! My boys "insisted" lol.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here