Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
darconnis

Transplanting/Separating Aloes & 'pups'

darconnis
17 years ago

I'm sure my answer is buried somewhere in these forum, but hopefully I can saved from an hour long search. I'm specifically trying to find out:

Plant Type:

I thought my aloe was a Aloe saponaria but after looking through photos this aloe is much different, the only similarities are the white spots, small spikes, defined center and the red/orange flowers with a base that splits 3 ways.. Here's two picture links of my aloe for reference perhaps someone know which kind it is ;) (Originally told it was aloe vera when I got it.)

Pictures located on my profile at http://www.myspace.com/darconnis:

{{gwi:525242}}

^^As you can see they are everywhere :)

{{gwi:525243}}

^^Flower bud is 3 times the size of all the other aloes

Questions:

1. "What are considered a fully formed 'pup' and after seeing it appear above ground how long should I wait to separate from the mother?"

I have a large group of aloe which started at around 4 mother plants and has explanded over two years to at least 200 pups 30 of which can be easily seen above ground.

2. "What is the safest way to transplant these aloes to a pot and/or 2' by 4'(estimated) raised pot/bed?"

Thank you so much for your time everyone. I will put up a picture gallery page when I get an organized garden started right now it's just aloes/sweet onion set between a large tree ;)

Sincerely,

Brian

Comments (4)

• tanyag
    17 years ago

They are beautiful. There is a website I use to identify stuff. It is www.deserttropicals.com. I started looking through but am not sure if I found yours or not. I had to respond and get to my two year old =0) It is hard to say with the flower bud not completely open. I looked at Aloe lateritia, aloe zebrina (red flower), and Aloe greatheadii var. davyana. I think the last looks a lot like it. I am not sure, but I don't know if the gels from these has the same medicinal uses as aloe vera. Care would probably be the same.

• darconnis
    Original Author
    17 years ago

After looking over the site you mentioned, the closest type seemed to be the branddraaiensis. Soap Aloe/Zebra Aloe, Prinslooi, Turkanensis, Aloe Zebrina are some of the aloes that have similiar features to the one I have. My aloe has red-orange colored flowers, it splits three ways at the base of the stem, the leaves are a medium green with light slightly oval spots, spikes (which turn from green to brown in direct sunlight, the leaves will also turn a purplish-brown color when over exposed in the light, the center base of the plant never lingers above ground like Soap Aloe does slightly.. the rest you can figure out from the pictures I posted.

Unfortunately www.deserttropicals.com doesn't include images with every aloe and the pictures are not very detailed in most cases(ie. baby plants which don't show adult features) Thank you very much for the feedback and link, hope that my main 2 questions will be answered soon :).

Brian

• tanyag
    17 years ago

I usually wait until there are three or four visible leaves. Use a sharp clean knife or even a hand trowel and push it between the pup and mom. Make sure to go down and try to get a bit of the roots with it. Mine are in pots so I usually take them out and get the soil off so I can see what I'm doing. Since you're going to replant them in a raised area or pots, you might go ahead and dig them up first so you can see exactly what you are cutting. THe ones that aren't formed enough, just leave on mother and repot. They look really awesome. You're going to have tons of them. After you separate and repot, hold off watering for about a week. The roots can't take in water after they have been damaged and cut which will inevitibly happen with transplant/separation.

• darconnis
    Original Author
    17 years ago

As normal I put up a few new pictures of the aloe I have(on myspace profile) for those that don't have a myspace account the 3 links below show:

1. one of the many pups in a close-up view
    {{gwi:525244}}

2. a close up view of the white spots on the mother plant taken over the center
    {{gwi:525245}}

3. a side view of the mother plant to show the size, height, and how the center seems to be in one general area and how the leaves stay straight or curve upward from the center, rather than make a stacked appearance.
    {{gwi:525246}}

I think you have pretty much answered my questions tanyag thanks for the information, I'll keep pictures posted on myspace until I make a web gallery on my homesite. The flowers should come around soon hopefully, I saw my friend's aloe bloom already almost 2 weeks ago, but it's much smaller in size.