Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growstone

Posted by bikerdoc5968 6 SE MI (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 7:54

I am working an orchid show this weekend with a friend of mine from Ohio. He has brought, a new for him, product called Growstone ( http://www.growstone.com/). It is something orchid people use for semi hydroponics instead of Aliflor(clay fired round balls). It is very light weight and I am going to try it in my mix as a substitute for some other grit material.

Your thoughts

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growstone

Like most " New Ideas" this product remains limited for availability in an age where some still cant find turface to suggest re-fired recycled glass justifying the search for it might be a bit trying for some.

However a very reasonable price comparison to pumice stone at the same yield % found it to have a very low powder dust release. Although very sharp low dust sift release from a faster easier sift that can feel as it might cut the unprotected hand is the same damaging effect as a salt scrub Matched air flow from a substrate and moisture retention I dont think price point alone will be the next best pumice replacement.

Although if re-fired glass availability is available and at a closer distance in more manageable sized pieces It's use should be come more wide spread but thinks availability will be an objective for some. Certainly would allow more than one person to expand into the more uncommon succulent plant growing.

o
RE: Growstone

I have used this in my mixes for Haworthia and like it very much. I would recommend rinsing and not siting to avoid the dust. Cheers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here