Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
breton2

Crassula arbor eschews

breton2
10 years ago

Hello
I've noticed there is a lot of discussion in this forum about C. ovata, but very little mention of C. arborescens. I've just picked up a C arborescens and also a potful of C . arborescens undulatifolia cuttings. I've had little luck with silver dollar jades I the past, while they didn't die, they are very slow growing.. Is this typical? Are they slower than C. Ovata? I suspect I was under watering. These new ones will be potted in smallish pots with a 50/50 mix of c&s soil and grit/ turface.
Does anyone grow these? My two pots turned out to hold 10 cuttings....now where am I going to put them??

Comments (9)

• breton2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Haha so much for my proofreading abilities, and auto-correct has failed me!! The title should read Crassula arborescens!!!!!

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Eschews what was my question, B. They're the same care as regualr C. ovata, but can take more sun more quickly (they grow best in full sun).

• breton2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's pretty much what I was thinking, but I find it odd they seem to get so little attention here....

Cheers,
    B

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

I think they're wonderful....and you're right, they are a bit under-represented. Although the leaves are large, the plant quickly makes for a stout succulent bonsai. With the right mix in a largish container, and provided regular nutrition, they can grow fast. As Jeff says, outdoor light encourages that growth best. I've pruned mine several times and have given the large cuttings to friends in order to keep my plant in a small round container.

Josh

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

What, there aren't 1,001 tales of rooting this one? Dagnabbit, that's a lowdown dirty shame.

Nice picture of a stumpy plant soon to outgrow its pot, and the outdoor staging is superb (how'd you move that tree into the picture?). You're not yet able to leave it outside overnight, right? I'm still a month away myself.

This post was edited by cactusmcharris on Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 14:15

• paul_
    10 years ago

â¢Posted by cactusmcharris
    "Eschews what?", was my question, B.

Mine as well. Was hoping to see someone creating an arbor out of a Crassula.

This post was edited by paul_ on Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 13:52

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Hehe, Jeff, that crazy oak tree just decided to build a deck around itself.... ;-)
    You are correct - while the weather has been pleasant during the day, I can't risk the overnight lows. Even if the plants survive the cold, the combination of low temperature and dew followed by brilliant California morning sunlight tends to spoil the foliage. So I play musical plants until deep into May.

Josh

• breton2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, a Crassula arbor would definitely eschew my location, if it had a say in the matter!!

Thanks for the replies, I'll be potting up my cuttings soon!

And I am jealous of you all, it won't be safe to leave them outside overnight here until June, probably. Must look at setting up my mini greenhouse this year!

Cheers,
    B

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

Indeed I have always thought wondered why C. arborescens is so uncommon these days. I know at one time it was much more readily available than today, from reading old plant books. C. ovata seems to have grown exponentially in popularity, while arborescens seems to have largely been forgotten. A shame, in my opinion, because arborescens is a beautiful plant.

Christopher

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting