Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Colorful Jades after a long winter!

meyermike_1micha
11 years ago

I just wanted to share some pics with you of some of my jades I have had in my window and in the basement. I can finally put them outside until the next night of the 30's tonight!

What stinks about living here is that by the time I can put them outside for the season to color up even further from the sun, it is usually to late. By the time it is safe enough for the frost to be gone, it's too warm.

Gifted my special friends and bought from across seas.

{{gwi:525703}}

{{gwi:525704}}

{{gwi:525705}}

{{gwi:525706}}

{{gwi:525707}}

{{gwi:525708}}

{{gwi:525710}}

{{gwi:525712}}

{{gwi:525714}}

Mike:-)

Comments (29)

• emerald1951
    11 years ago

Hi Mike looking great....you'll have to tell me how to get the great color mine are green only...bummer...
    but yours are looking great....linda

• TT, zone 5b MA
    11 years ago

Beautiful jades, Mike.

I have put mine out in the greenhouse...which is usually the trigger for temps to drop to freezing again! Right on cue for tonight.

Can't you keep yours out in your greenie and run a little heat at night? That's what I plan to do for the next three days...

Can't wait for temps to consistently stay above forty at night. Man, does it seem to take forever for that to get here!

Tom

• Colleen E
    11 years ago

"Can't wait for temps to consistently stay above forty at night. Man, does it seem to take forever for that to get here!"

Ditto. I mean, is it too much to ask? It's just 40! :)

Beautiful jades. Beautiful color. Always envious.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Mike, you've brought them through the Winter wonderfully! The new overseas acquisition has great color, just like you said. Your 'Legolas' is seriously bushy, and the 'Maruba Nishiki' is huge and perfectly patterned. Mine have a long way to go! :-)

Here's a pot of assorted cuttings that have a bit of color. The 'Hummel's Sunset' cutting in the middle has yet to show forth its true pattern...but soon. I'll take more pics to add later.

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Hi Mike...OMG!!! Those are sooo beautiful!! Love that variegated gollum... Awesome job my friend!!! Thanks for sharing!!

Hi Josh...that's a really NICE assortment of cuttings, looks great in that bonsai pot!

11 years ago

Hello, and thanks, Nancy! :-)
    Mike sent me that pot, along with the 'Hummel's Sunset' in the middle and the two red 'Crosby's Compact' cuttings in the back. I added the 'Gollum' and the 'Hobbit' cuttings for good measure.

Josh

• teengardener1888
    11 years ago

I would like to have some of that variegated hobbit

11 years ago

Edit: Crassula ovata 'Legolas,' a variegated sport of 'Fine Finger.' Thanks, Glen :-)

Josh

This post was edited by greenman28 on Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 20:47

• kaktuskris
    11 years ago

Mike:

Truly outstanding jades, as usual, my friend! Hope you are feeling well now that Spring has truly arrived...If you want to feel Spring check out the Magnolias on Commonwealth Ave. in Boston, they always get me in the Springtime mood.

Christopher

Magnolias at Harvard today.

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

You where not kidding Mike Legolas has awsum eye catching color I'm pondering how it might look potted in with C. Ovata Hobit.

• 123Greta
    11 years ago

I need a variegated gollum!! (:

Absolutely stunning, Mike and Josh!! Thanks for sharing.

• gmaculata
    11 years ago

Just a little Book keeping of my own as a note the Variegated 'Gollum' as it is called here several times is actually my cultivar called 'Legolas' just want to make sure that people see that and use the name so there is no confusion. The plant actually is a variegated sport of 'Fine Finger' and not 'Gollum' and when kept more dry and less food will exhibit the proper growth habit.
    Having said all that GREAT looking plants MIke!! Cheers

• woodnative
    11 years ago

'Legolas' is awesome and those others too are very nice and healthy and well-grown. It is hard for us temperate folks to bring some of these tropicals through our winters due to space and winter cold and lack of light. A labor of love!

• wweidele
    11 years ago

Nice pics mike awsome colors

• wweidele
    11 years ago

One of my new babys

• wweidele
    11 years ago

Another one they make me so happy

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Weidele..WOW..Such pretty bright colors! That is exactly what I look for in my jades...I don't think I even own a green one anymore, well wait, just one:-)

Woodnative. Thank you very much and you are so right. It is hard work to keep then healthy and happy through our long dreadful winters. By the way, it reminds me, I have to bring mine in as soon as I am done here. 30's again tonight!

Glen...Thanks so much pal. You know how much yo say and help me with means a ton. I hope to visit you soon and see your beautiful plants themselves again.

123 Great..You never know, some day you just might add one to your collection as I did.

Wes, I'll chat with you soon. Call you tomorrow:-)

Chris..Thanks a bunch! I can't wait until they can all stay outside without worrying about them. You are so right, you have to love the feeling of spring in Boston. I love it there at this time of the year!
    I appreciate your concern too.:-)

Josh. Thank you! I know for sure yours will look just like mine soon. I can only imagine the growth that will happen to yours this summer and with the same care as I. Love the looks of yours too.
    You know that the two at the top:-)

Nancy..Thank you and you are welcome. It's always a pleasure to see you! I hope yours do well too. I know they will:-)

I can't wait for them all to get the red edging from the sun now. I have the perfect weather to get them brighter than they are. I will start fertilizing real soon so I can get cuttings soon.

Tom, you are not kidding, especially this year. The warm weather is taking much too long to get here!
    The greenhouse is a great idea, if I had any room in there. All my tropicals are in there so I must keep my dry loving plants in the basement of in the house.

I hope you are happy with your greenhouse:-0)

Teatree....Thank you. I appreciate your kind words.

Linda, hello! I hear you are still getting snow? My goodness. I am sure yours will color up real soon kiddo. Why don't you bring them out by day and then in at night?
    This is the best time of the year to get them to color up. Cool to cold days with hot sun!

I'll be back with some more pics tomorrow. Thanks again and hoping everyone has a good night.

Mike

• Danielle Rose
    11 years ago

So many gorgeous plants, Mike! The variegated jade are just so pretty. My wish list has grown substantially these last couple of weeks thanks to you people ... and my tastes have definitely become more discerning!

• cameracassidy
    11 years ago

So many beautiful jade photos! Thank you all for sharing!

11 years ago

Hey, Mike!
    Are those two at the top from cuttings I sent?!
    You've gotten way better color out of them!

Josh

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

gmaculata, Thanks for explaining the proper name 'Legolas'. How exciting and quite impressive that its your cultivar...Congrats! LOVE it!!

I sure hope we start seeing these for sale soon here in the US, preferably at a reasonable price :o)

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    11 years ago

Mike,
    As always, your jades look awesome! Hopefully the weather will warm up, and we can start taking the little guys outside!

Hope all is well.

Rob

• 123Greta
    11 years ago

Thanks for setting the name straight, gmaculata!

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Josh, they sure are pal:-)

I knew you would recognize them and I am so grateful for them. I will take a recent pic of them and of others real soon. Thank you again !

Camera, you are welcome and thank you.

Hellp Pug! How's yours looking these days?:-)

Danielle...Thank you. Keep them growing.

Rob, thank you and I hope you are well these days.
    The plant you sent me is doing great!
    Had to bring them in again last night.
    I got an unexpected 32 degree reading this a.m and boy am I grateful it didn't kill them!

Mike

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    11 years ago

Mike,
    I have a new job, and I'm working lots of hours. I'm tired, but otherwise, things are good.
    Good to hear the ZZ is going well. I knew it was in good hands.
    I get nervous leaving them outside over night when the temps dip like that. I keep the big Jades inside until I know they're safe.

• kaktuskris
    11 years ago

Mike I agree, I am so sick of these frosty mornings, they just don't seem to want to give up the ghost! But only for a few more weeks, hopefully...

Christopher

• americangolden
    10 years ago

Great coloring on the Jades! I'm happy it has finally warmed up enough to bring my plants outside.

• kaityinoregon
    10 years ago

Mike, i know this is an old post but was wondering what kind the third and 4th pic is??? I haven't seen one with so much yellow and I am with you in appreciating the "non-green" jades above all else.

10 years ago

Hey, Kaity! It might be a few days before Mike sees this Thread, but I can tell you that the third and fourth pics are of another unique variegated Jade, one with a lot of white/yellow. It holds its color very well.

An update for Mike. The 'Hummel's Sunset' and two colorful 'Crosby's Compact' in the cool pot that Mike sent. The Sunset Jade has lost its older leaves and is replacing them...and now I'm thinking I should prune it down to get it bushy again. So hard to do....

Josh

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County