Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cmichaelh

identification

CMichaelH
11 years ago

Just picked these two up from Whole Foods, which called them something along the lines of "Thing One" and "Thing Two." Anyone know what they are, specifically? I think they're an aloe (viewer's left) and a jade (viewer's right), but I'm wondering which species they are.
Thanks!

Comments (14)

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

Some unusual growth on that jade, which appears to be Crassula ovata. My guess would be lack of proper light caused etiolation. It was stuck in some dark corner of Whole Foods , no doubt.

Christopher

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

I'm curious about the one on the right, too, CM, as Christopher is. It has jade (Crassula ovata) -like leaves, but what appears to me to be a flower spike (those two top growths) look like Cotyledon (a Crassula cousin) flowers, or Kalanchoe flowers (also a cousin).

The one on the left is Aloe vera 'chinensis' - it will have orange flowers (unlike the real Aloe vera, which has yellow), but its gel does have soothing-to-damaged-skin properties.

This post was edited by cactusmcharris on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 11:41

• CMichaelH
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks much everyone!

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

As Jeff said, left seems like Aloe vera v. chinensis (a very plump one) & on the right, I believe is a Cotyledon. Maybe as it grows out we could determine the species for you. Blooms will be orange hanging bells...as you will soon see. =)

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

Those flower buds, which I mistook for droopy leaves, did throw me off, but then the leaves looked so much like jade...Well, at least I got the FAMILY right.

If Rosemarie doesn't know the species, no one does...Look up Cotyledon barbeyi, wondering if that could possibly be the one...

Christopher

• CMichaelH
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The leaves are definitely tripping me up. Plus, it clearly hasn't received the best care to this point. Here's another view. I'll post again when the buds open.
    thanks again!

• rosemariero6
    10 years ago

As Christopher suggested, C. barbeyi is a possibility. With its less than optimum growing conditions, it's hard to say what it is based on leaf shape/size. We will need to see if the flower tube bulges & what color & form the bloom takes. Please post pix again when it blooms. =)

• Beachplants
    10 years ago

Looks like one of the Cotyledon papillaris variations!

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

It is not a crassula ovata because they flower in late winter. and the flower buds arent so big

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Yay...I was hoping Beachplants would chime in! I'm not familiar with C. papillaris or its variations. I look forward to seeing the blooms.

• CMichaelH
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi everyone! The plant has opened one of its flowers now. Thought I'd share to see whether that would help to ID it. I can post more when the other buds open.
    Also: how often should I be watering it? I had originally thought it was like a jade and so I'd been watering once a month.
    Thanks again!

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Well, the bloom confirms it is a Cotyledon. I am not familiar with all the varieties of C. papillaris, but was thinking the blooms would be a darker shade. I'd like to see pix when the other blooms open if you don't mind. =)

• CMichaelH
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Rosemariero! I'll definitely post more photos when the other buds blooms.

• CMichaelH
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another bud opened. This one is red while the other one was yellow. They're on the same stem, though. It's not two separate plants.