Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue Bird Jade - opinions please

Posted by lme5573 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 10:07

I got this beautiful Blue Bird Jade September '12 from a very generous GW member. It's starting to grow, but as you can see it's got new growth bumping up against a leaf. I have let it go on, hoping it could duke it out naturally.

It's growing in my plant stand, and I have tried to position it to encourage a little sideways movement. No luck, neither leaf nor sprout wants to give way.

I've googled and tried to find pictures of Blue Bird Jades, but I don't find many pictures that show the whole plant and branches.

Any opinions? If this kind of jade grows with lots of branches, then I'm just as happy to let it grow.

Thanks! Lennie in Michigan - a skiff of snow on the ground, but they predict warmer weather next week.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue Bird Jade - opinions please

Hello!
The leaves will make way eventually, but you could always pluck the larger leaf above the new growth.

Josh

o

Maybe carefully pluck the leaf above, and plant it to make a new plant?

o

Thanks! I think I'll wait another week and then pick the leaf and let it root. I've had some good luck rooting other jade leaves, I just don't want to damage the main trunk when I take it. Thanks! Lennie

o

I wonder if there are different types of Blue Bird jade. I bought mine last year from a UK nursery, and the leaves are much more angular in shape than yours. I really like the more oval leaved type that you have.

o

I was thinking the same thing, Marguerite. I've been reading descriptions of Blue Bird jade, and they use words like twisted leaf pairs. Mine aren't twisted at all. They are more like little surf boards. It is starting to put out new growth, and the new leaves have a bit more curl, so maybe it is environmental. Here is another picture that shows the whole plant. I plan to keep an eye on the Home Depot plants and pick up another if I see one that is have a bit more wave.
I'd love to see a picture of yours, Marguerite.
Lennie in Michigan

o

Lennie, it's a nice plant whatever it is ;-)
Could you take a pic from the top down, showing off the leaves?

Now that I see it, I suspect it might be Crassula ovata obliqua, the green form.

Josh

o

Thanks, Josh. I took lots of pictures yesterday, and here's the view from top down. The leaves are a beautiful frosty blue-gray color, exactly like my Silver Dollar Jade. But I can't see any red edge or the little dots. New growth is shiny green, but turns frosty when it gets bigger. I also see a little point on the newest leaves like my obliqua, but it rounds off as it grows. My obliqua leaves have some curl and twist and a point on the end. I suspect this plant is a hybrid of Silver Dollar and obliqua, but that's just my opinion.
Thanks for looking!
Lennie

o

forgot to say it is in a 4" pot, and is 4" tall. It "rested" all winter, and is just starting to put out new growth. I have it growing under my plant lights, about 10 hours/day.

o

Hi Lennie,

I'll be back with a pic as quickly as possible.

o

Lennie, thanks for the pic.
You're right, those leaves are unique...not quite a match for obliqua, but showing similar traits. Once/If it gets outdoors for the Summer, the plant may take on a more defined look.

Josh

o

Now, Lennie, at last, the picture I promised of my crassula 'Bluebird' .

o

That is a beautiful plant, Marguerite. And I think you are right, mine is definitely different from yours. My leaves do not curl like that at all, and the leaf shape is different, too. I think mine might eventually start showing a bit of the red edge, but mine must have mutated or sported at some point. Thanks for sharing. :-)
Lennie in Michigan

o

Thank you, Lennie. Actually I think the winter has been a bit hard on the plant, it dropped a piece which I am leaving unpotted to root, that piece had buds and has now flowered, and the flowers are pink, a lovely contrast to the leaves. I wonder why it fell off the plant, but perhaps it was too dry.

I love the look of the crassula they call Silver Dollar here, but it doesn't seem to be for sale in our part of the world.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here