Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nikki702

Gasteria pics...

nikki702
12 years ago

Hi everyone, I have taken some pics of my Gasteria plants..

Hope you like them :)

Gasteraloe 'green ice'

{{gwi:526665}}

Gasteria Batesiana barberton form

{{gwi:526666}}

Gasteria Batesiana

{{gwi:526667}}

Gasteria Brachyphylla Seedlings

{{gwi:526668}}

Gasteria brachyphylla var bayeri

{{gwi:526669}}

Gasteria brachyphylla variegata

{{gwi:526670}}

Gasteria brachyphylla

{{gwi:526671}}

Gasteria ellaphieae

{{gwi:526672}}

Gasteria Excelsa

{{gwi:526673}}

Comments (35)

• nikki702
    Original Author
    12 years ago

oops they are a bit big (sorry)

Nikki :)

• Beachplants
    12 years ago

Very nice & I like the big pics - good collection.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Those are really cool, Nikki!
    I love the tongue-like look of Gasteria!

Josh

• Colleen E
    12 years ago

Oh gosh! Firstly, the Gasteria brachyphylla var. bayeri has the loveliest shape--gosh, want! :) And Mr. Smokey and Schwickerdtiana are absolutely stunning. Well, and the rest too! Your 'Little Warty' has some gorgeous color, much prettier than mine. And for that matter, it has got some spectacular shape, with those pups!

Well, gotta say, I'm jealous! :) I really hardly see Gasteria around here.

Colleen

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

These Gasterias are great! It is interesting how Gasteria brachyphylla variegata has a leaf that has such a sharp contrast on each side. The pups are cute. I agree that the Schwickerdtiana is gorgeous. I love the big pictures. You get to really see the plant detail best.

Penny

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    12 years ago

Great plants, and pics Nikki, I prefer the bigger pics myself, shows details better. I don't grow many cacti/succulents actually but I like to see what you are all growing, so keep them coming!
    Gill form the UK.

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Love all your Gasteria, Nikki! Now, maybe I can find names for some of mine! You could probably post some on the Alphabet: letter G thread as well! =)

• nikki702
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone, Gasteria are one of my favorite succulents :)

I should correct one name Gasteria schwickerdtiana should be Gasteria schweikertiana (still can't say it anyway haha)

Im looking forward to seeing the pups get bigger then I will share them, I have been lucky to have come across many people who have shared plants with me and helped to build my collection. I will also share my plants once the babies are big enough :)

My favourite is Gasteria schweikertiana, the biggest one is beginning to twist

Nikki

• jeepman69
    12 years ago

GREAT PLANTS NIKKI!

I like the big pictures too. I only have a couple and maybe I can ID them now too. TFS.

Glenn

• plantomaniac08
    12 years ago

Nikki,
    You had me drooling with the gasteria photo in your other post. For this post, I need a bib! You have some very nice looking (and well taken care of) gasterias, thanks for sharing!

Planto

• Neysa
    10 years ago

I love your nice big pictures, makes it easy to really see how the plants look. I just ordered some gasterias and I have never grown them before.
    I would love to know what kind of soil I need to use. Can I get away with cactus mix?
    I love your Little Warty. I have seen pictures of it and think its so pretty. That is one I would like to get.
    Its hard to find posts in this forum just for gasterias.

Neysa in California

• nikki702
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Neysa I use john innes no2 soil im not sure if its available to you, I mix perlite into my soil to help with drainage. Good luck with your gasterias

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hi Neysa,

No there don't seem to be many posts here of Gasterias. I too grow a few, mostly no IDs.

Cactus & Succulent soil w/ extra perlite (like 30-50%) works well for mine. If you're new to Gasterias, pls. note they are not plants for direct sun, will burn easily. Since you're in CA, I thought it best to warn you of that. They do well in light shade or under the shade of taller plants.

Here in NYC (indoors only), I put them at the edge of my west windowsills. They do well in clay or plastic, if you're new to them & likely to want to overwater, I'd say go with clay pots. Either type must have drainage holes.

Also a reminder (for succulents) when in doubt about watering them, don't water.

Welcome & Good luck!

• Neysa
    10 years ago

Thanks Nikki and irate Girl for your responses. I have never heard of on2 soil so maybe we don't have that hear in So. Calif. Pirate Girl, I will get some Cactus & Succulent soil. I have a bag of perlite I could mix in with it. I see others use rocks on top. Is that for a reason or is it for decoration? I have about 5 plants that hopefully will come. I need to be ready because 4 of them are coming bare-root. I have never had any before but one day I saw some and started looking on ebay and some I fell in love with. There are some really pretty ones. I guess I will put mine on my patio. It gets some sun part of the day, I may have to have it where the sun only for a small part of the day instead. Probably need to also invest in clay pots ,cause the only ones I have are plastic.............
    Thanks again for your advise.

Neysa in California

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Neysa,

Where in SouCal are you? Depending on your area, there are lots of C&S Societies you could join to increase your knowledge of C&S, as well as more Gasterias, to name just two of the numerous attributes membership would get you.

Top dressing is used for aesthetics, to keep weeds down, and to inhibit a potted plant's soil from drying out too quickly.

{{gwi:526681}}

This post was edited by cactusmcharris on Mon, Jan 13, 14 at 22:36

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

I use rocks/stones/pebbles also for support in case of 'leaning' plant/cutting, and they also keep perlite (a little) from travelling to the surface.

Nikki

Beautiful gasterias, I have to find me some.

Rina

• Neysa
    10 years ago

Thanks bunches the both of you. I just found out that some plants are being sent today. They will be coming from Oregon, and should be here by Friday. I will take pictures when they come so you can see who I choose. The plants from this business I only got minis.

Now, I must go get some soil so I can be ready.
    I live by West Covina, California.

10 years ago

Whoops, here it is.

http://www.lacactus.com/index.html

Here is a link that might be useful: LA Cactus, she get to know you

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Not as beautifully staged as the first pix, but here's one of my no ID Gasterias.

{{gwi:526682}}

I'm partial to variegates & was pleased this decided to have a pup.

Gasterias are low maintenance, rewarding plants. I find them very sculptural & handsome to look at.

• Neysa
    10 years ago

That link is in San Fernando Valley, which is not near me........... but thanks for the link anyhoo.

I like the variegated plants toooooooo. I hope they will end up as easy to raise as my neglected succulents.
    I like the green with the stripe Pirate Girl.

• Neysa
    10 years ago

Just got email letting me know my Green Ice Gasteria is on its way home. This is the one that will be mine, shipped with the pot..............

• Neysa
    10 years ago

This is Gasteria Little Warty mini being shipped bare root.
    I do not know how to add more than one pic at a time..........so next post will be next Gasteria

Neysa In California

• Neysa
    10 years ago

Gasteria bicolor var. liliputana (mini) also coming home bare root

Neysa in California

• Neysa
    10 years ago

Gasteria 'Frosty' (mini) also on the way home

Neysa in California

• Neysa
    10 years ago

Gasteria gracilis variegata* (Mini)

I love the variegated ones, so this one stuck out It too is on its way home............bare root. Now, I for sure need to go to Home Depot and buy a bag of Cacti and succulent mix and I don't have any small pots, so will also need those tooo...........I am really excited to try these kids out.
    Hope I did not bore you with all the pictures........

Neysa in California

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Bore us w/ nice plant pix? Never!!

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Wow..Looks like your collection of plants is multiplying...Fantastic plants..Love them all.

Especially the Gasteria brachyphylla var bayeri

and the varigates.

Mike

• Neysa
    10 years ago

I will have to take pictures soon of the plants since planting them. I still have to get a container for the one that came in its pot..............also have to get the batteries charged in my camera or maybe use my cell phone for pictures.

Has anyone got any nice pictures to share. I love seeing them.

Neysa in California

• caligrown
    10 years ago

I only have a few Gasteria's. I wouldn't call this a nice picture, but I figured I would share.

Sorry I have no i.d for it.

{{gwi:526684}}

A picture to show size.

{{gwi:526686}}

10 years ago

{{gwi:526688}}

{{gwi:526691}}

This post was edited by cactusmcharris on Wed, Jan 22, 14 at 22:59

• tneomi
    10 years ago

Gasteria??

10 years ago

That strappy thing is.

• Neysa
    10 years ago

Caligrown and Cactusmharris, love your plants. I think the verigated are just beautiful............of course I am partial to all verigations.............thanks for sharing your pictures...............
    Anyone have any updates they would like to share? Any hints on how your plants are doing this winter..........what food you like the best for your plants?

Neysa in California

• Neysa
    10 years ago

I am looking for a place to get decent plastic markers so I can keep tract of my gasterias and haws.....................I found one on amazon.net

Garden Helpers H166 6-Inch Plastic Plant Labels and Plant Marker Pen, 100-Pack
    by Bosmere

Price: $16.94

Everyone thinks they are nice and sturdy. But they don't like the marker pen that comes with them.................I also need to know of a type of pen besides sharpie that can write fine point and won't fade in the sun or whatever..........

Does anyone have a place where they buy theirs from?
    Thanks

Neysa in Calfornia