Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
notolover

Think Pink!

notolover
9 years ago

Good Morning!

This is Echinopsis hybrid Paramount Aurora. Can't take credit for these beautiful blooms. Came budded up from Ebay seller. But the buds survived their ordeal and I just had to share. So far I just have the beginnings of buds on plants I had prior to my spring ordering frenzy .

Good start to my morning, and now I have to move the big guys out to the shade house and start planting the turtle pen. Why does everything die in there over the winter :-(

Have a great day everyone!

Comments (9)

• MamaFlo
    9 years ago

Wow, beautiful!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Beautiful flowers, nice soft color.

What 'big guys' are you moving into a shade house?
    I see your zone as 5, isn't it still cold out there to move plants out? Unless your shade house is somehow protected?

Rina

• notolover
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Rina,

I'm moving my bigger Trichocereus and Echinopsis hybrids. It's a few weeks early, but the alternative would be for them to stay in the sunroom and possibly get scorched.

We are going on vacation for 2 weeks and there won't be anyone at home to open the door and window and turn on the ceiling fan.

It's been in the high 70s for the past few days and although we still can get freezes at night, it warms up fast when the sun comes up. My only concern is for my few new ones so I'm trying to come up with a bubble wrap roof on them for extra protection.

The little ones are going under grow lights in a cooler room.

The shade house keeps them a little warmer at night and I don't expect any rain since we haven't had very much all year so they should be dry. It was not good planning to take a 2 week vacation at this time :-(

Please wish me luck!

• cactus_cowboy
    9 years ago

Beautiful flowers!

I have a pot full of Echinopsis hybrid seed that germinated nicely a month ago. I've also had good germination on a cross that I made: Trichocereus arboricola X Echinopsis subdenudata. It should be interesting to see how those turn out as the parent plants have radically different body forms.

• notolover
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cactus Cowboy,

I would like to see a picture of your hybrid babies when they get bigger. I love E. subdenudata flowers. Mine is always so happy to bloom and they have a heavenly scent.

I still don't have luck with seeds and I'm barely able to keep small offsets alive due to a lack of time and attention span so people that can create their own hybrids humble me.

The Schick hybrids are really special, but I still think many of the Paramount hybrids are perfectly lovely like Aurora so I'm always happy to add a Paramount to my collection. I think some of them are gone forever.

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

Hi notolover!

I'm a little late to congratulate you on these wonderful summer blooms......of last year. Such a beautiful display.
    I, also, own this cultivar. Gorgeous! Many of my plants are in bud, atm, so I think, I've begun to figure out a good program for growing these, thanks to advice from echi growers, such as yourself (feeding my spiny herd Tigerbloom), and my research all over the web.

Also have subdenudata, but I only see the spent withered flower as it always opens before I'm up and then when I have a busy week and can't see them. :[
    Hopefully this month, I"ll get the jump on this one when blooms are fully open.

Post pics of all those that come into flower this season in your collection. Will be looking out for them.
    ;]
    Ez

This post was edited by aztcqn on Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 3:36

• notolover
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Ez,

I'm glad Tiger Bloom is working for you. I'm sure other fertilizer is good as well, but a quart is a lot so I'm still on my original bottle.

I would love to see your flowers, too. Are you going to be able to go to the Huntington spring sale this year?

I'm happy to say I figured out what to do with my newbies when putting them outside this early. I remembered I have several Aqua Domes that I'll be using in the garden soon, but in the mean time, they will be the perfect solution to protecting those new guys. They are plastic domes that you put water in, kind of like wall of waters, but much more stable and easier to fill. The plants are protected from wind and scorching sun and stay warmer at night.

Can't wait to leave on our trip--but I'm totally stressing out with all the stuff I still have to do.

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    9 years ago

Turtle pen? I'd like to hear more about that when you return. Have a fun trip! Min

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

Hello,
    Oh, can't wait till the sub opens up. Didn't know it had a fragrance! A trich and a sub cross will be very interesting to see.
    I hope to make it to the sale on Sunday, if not Saturday. Am excited to see it as I've never been. But, I already blew my allowance on another batch of Schicks from JohnT last week. :] Most in bud! Still wondering why my original batch is behind everyone else's. Oh well, am looking forward to small colorful displays these months.
    Oh, that's a cool idea with water walls around them for temp control. Have a safe and fun trip. I'll be posting some gymnos coming into bloom on my thread this week.
    I love Spring!

My Garden Occupants
    My Prickly Herd

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks