Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My great bargain!! ..... Now what?

Posted by averil 8b (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 10:32

Hi folks, I usually post on adenium forum but I'm forever lurking in here and admiring the lovely jade plants. I've been lucky enough to win a 10 year old plant for the princely sum of 3 quid (that included ceramic pot). However, I really need advice. I want this plant to be more tree like and get rid of floppy branches etc, so if anyone can advise I would be so grateful
1.should I get rid of the outgrowing branches at the base of the trunk?
2. How far back should I cut back floppy branches from the main stem?
3.does the pot look big enough
4. Do I dry out cuttings I may want to repot?
Thank you to anyone who can advise. It's lurking on here and admiring the beautiful jades that has got me into this mess ha ha
Regards
Averil Uk

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My great bargain!! ..... Now what?

Pic 2

o

Pic 3

o

Pic4

o

Sorry about the quality of my pics

o

Averil, welcome. While the final shape is your choice, IMHO, I would not be afraid to really whack it big time. Cut everything back to nice stiff stems. It may look horrible for awhile but it will rebound giving you a much nicer looking plant. It will want lots of light, however. This is one of mine that I whacked last spring and I probably should have done more! A summer in the sun and it looks great!

o

That's what I thought doc, so thanks for your input. Now I know I'm on the right track. Do you think I should repot. I dont know if the pot is large enough and I don't know what soil it is in neither. That is a corker of a plant you have there! It's stunning
Regards
a Averil Uk

o

Suggest not to do to much at one time If to re-pot today wait a few days ( 6-10) to prune like the one in pic and is ideally being suggested.
To root let the cuts go dry ( three four days) allowing cut side ends to callus over before potting them into a pot. The callused ends should be visual enough to see and can take a good watering mist to establish better roots for regular watering

o

averil,

Yes, repot into something more porous. I'd also read some threads here that already cover the ground you're asking about - any 'Whack a Jade' threads, like the one linked to. Howard's picture is great, isn't it, and tells me I'm due for a cut soon myself.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Whack a Crassula ovata' doesn't sound as good

o

Thanks for yr input mrlike and cactus. I shall wait a wee while to repot. I don't want to terrorise the poor soul. Anyways, as you can see the deed is done!. I feel I want to chop off the branches at the base of the trunk. What do you think? I ultimately want a small tree shape. Thanks again you lovely folks
Regards
Averil Uk

o

Very pretty jade! You can see the "tree-like" plant in there, it just needs some pruning and time. I'd take off all your stragglers around that main trunk, leaving only those three thick branches, and then slowly shape the rest growing off that.

It seems to have gone through quite a "leggy" period, which could be from soil that's too soggy and also not enough sunlight. Once you do re-pot it, make sure it's in something you can soak and drain completely, so it will dry out nicely between waterings.

The bonus is that you'll have quite a few baby jades when all is said and done!

o

Yes, I agree with Danielle, take 'em off.

o

Thanks Danielle and Cactus. I've taken the stragglers off the bottom and I'm pleased with the result. I shall repot in 50:50 cactus and perlite and see how it goes. I've got it in a south facing window for now but when or if summer arrives, it can holiday outside.
Thanks for all your help, it's much appreciated. The forums are a godsend for me x
Averil Uk

o

Beautiful job! I missed the post-pruning pic, I think we may have been posting at the same time. Anyway, well done. :)

o

Looks good, not certain if your comfortable leaving it outside in your zone while it re grows back but would prevent leggy growth and allow easier transitioning being done later.

o

Gradually acclimate it to full sun and Bob's your uncle. There, I think I used that properly....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here