Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
averil_gw

My great bargain!! ..... Now what?

averil
11 years ago

Hi folks, I usually post on adenium forum but I'm forever lurking in here and admiring the lovely jade plants. I've been lucky enough to win a 10 year old plant for the princely sum of 3 quid (that included ceramic pot). However, I really need advice. I want this plant to be more tree like and get rid of floppy branches etc, so if anyone can advise I would be so grateful
1.should I get rid of the outgrowing branches at the base of the trunk?
2. How far back should I cut back floppy branches from the main stem?
3.does the pot look big enough
4. Do I dry out cuttings I may want to repot?
Thank you to anyone who can advise. It's lurking on here and admiring the beautiful jades that has got me into this mess ha ha
Regards
Averil Uk

Comments (15)

• averil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pic 2

• averil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pic 3

• averil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pic4

• averil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry about the quality of my pics

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    11 years ago

Averil, welcome. While the final shape is your choice, IMHO, I would not be afraid to really whack it big time. Cut everything back to nice stiff stems. It may look horrible for awhile but it will rebound giving you a much nicer looking plant. It will want lots of light, however. This is one of mine that I whacked last spring and I probably should have done more! A summer in the sun and it looks great!

• averil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's what I thought doc, so thanks for your input. Now I know I'm on the right track. Do you think I should repot. I dont know if the pot is large enough and I don't know what soil it is in neither. That is a corker of a plant you have there! It's stunning
    Regards
    a Averil Uk

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Suggest not to do to much at one time If to re-pot today wait a few days ( 6-10) to prune like the one in pic and is ideally being suggested.
    To root let the cuts go dry ( three four days) allowing cut side ends to callus over before potting them into a pot. The callused ends should be visual enough to see and can take a good watering mist to establish better roots for regular watering

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

averil,

Yes, repot into something more porous. I'd also read some threads here that already cover the ground you're asking about - any 'Whack a Jade' threads, like the one linked to. Howard's picture is great, isn't it, and tells me I'm due for a cut soon myself.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Whack a Crassula ovata' doesn't sound as good

• averil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for yr input mrlike and cactus. I shall wait a wee while to repot. I don't want to terrorise the poor soul. Anyways, as you can see the deed is done!. I feel I want to chop off the branches at the base of the trunk. What do you think? I ultimately want a small tree shape. Thanks again you lovely folks
    Regards
    Averil Uk

• Danielle Rose
    11 years ago

Very pretty jade! You can see the "tree-like" plant in there, it just needs some pruning and time. I'd take off all your stragglers around that main trunk, leaving only those three thick branches, and then slowly shape the rest growing off that.

It seems to have gone through quite a "leggy" period, which could be from soil that's too soggy and also not enough sunlight. Once you do re-pot it, make sure it's in something you can soak and drain completely, so it will dry out nicely between waterings.

The bonus is that you'll have quite a few baby jades when all is said and done!

11 years ago

Yes, I agree with Danielle, take 'em off.

• averil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Danielle and Cactus. I've taken the stragglers off the bottom and I'm pleased with the result. I shall repot in 50:50 cactus and perlite and see how it goes. I've got it in a south facing window for now but when or if summer arrives, it can holiday outside.
    Thanks for all your help, it's much appreciated. The forums are a godsend for me x
    Averil Uk

• Danielle Rose
    11 years ago

Beautiful job! I missed the post-pruning pic, I think we may have been posting at the same time. Anyway, well done. :)

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Looks good, not certain if your comfortable leaving it outside in your zone while it re grows back but would prevent leggy growth and allow easier transitioning being done later.

11 years ago

Gradually acclimate it to full sun and Bob's your uncle. There, I think I used that properly....

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville