Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maybe they have been listening???

Posted by rosemariero6 z10 /ss24 So. Calif. (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 7, 12 at 10:43

Maybe they have been listening to the multitude of complaints on the forums about "glufers" (strawflowers glued to cactus), saying they are tricking people into buying these. So, they haven't stopped the practice, but if you read the small print...you should be aware they have strawflowers! LOL This is some sort of "Truth in Advertising", anyway!!

I wonder what it will take to get them to stop this completely? After removal, it seems to take forever to grow out, but is never really healed. :(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maybe they have been listening???

Ahahahaha hah, what a surprise there. But still, yes, ugh. And there's even a couple in that bunch that I'd snatch up.

o

They obviously must sell better. Still, how many know what a strawflower is?

Why not glue strawflowers to everything? Strawflower Lithops? Strawflower rocks? Strawflower on artificial flowers? Strawflower cycads? Strawflower "Norfolk Island Pines"?

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 7, 12 at 20:43

Why not glue strawflowers to everything? Strawflower Lithops? Strawflower rocks? Strawflower on artificial flowers? Strawflower cycads? Strawflower "Norfolk Island Pines"?

I think you are on to something there... ;)

o

The problem for me is the damage it causes to the cactus. I have returned a couple of plants because of tissue tear. the flower was glued directly to the cactus and not to any spines.

o

Strawflower is printed on the labels with the ID now too. I picked up a Rebutia krainziana and a Mammillaria spinosissima ssp. pilcayensis 'Cristata' this year from this company. They unfortunately both have spots missing spines now because as I was trying to remove those awful flowers the spines came right out with the glue I was trying to trim off. I wonder if these would sell worse or better if instead of a strawflower they added a picture to the label on the pot of what the plant's real flowers looked like?

Hot glued on flowers, glittered poinsettias, blue dyed phalaenopsis, and painted succulents are all awful. Is this really what people want? Fake stuff to fancy a plant up a bit?

o

Several years ago a representative of Altman's plants posted here that they had heard our complaints and were going to stop this horrid practice. And they did, for a few months. Apparently sales fell enough that the glufers came back a less than a year.

Glufers, glitter, and painted plants appeal to uneducated buyers, the plants are not expected to survive more than a year. The solution is to stop buying them. There are plenty of good, honest, reputable online dealers out there to buy from. There is no reason to buy plants from places that sell these abominations. Besides, such plants are usually fairly common, not really interesting to more experienced growers anyway.

If you can't find a place to buy plants without these marketing gimmicks, you aren't trying very hard. We represent only a small fraction of big box store C&S sales, so complaining asks a retailer to give up sales volume to satisfy a few. It's not going to happen. Stop complaining, and find another source for plants. You will have more choices in plants, and the quality will be better.

Brad

o

LOL!

On a serious note, that's really a shame about those cacti. I can't imagine the flower and the glue being taken off safely. I saw "gussied up" mums for Easter and it made me sick. Certainly not C&S abuse, but plant abuse.

Straw flower all the plants! Ugh. Sad thing is that people actually buy them and think that they're real.

o

It is true that most of those big box sold plants will not actually survive and grow longterm, because of poor care. I suppose that is always true with many small pets and plants.

What is bad is that these cheap houseplants from big box stores end up hurting local garden nurseries business so they may not be able to afford a good selection of cactus/succ (or stay in business at all).

o

Brad, here in NY we don't have cactus retail places. Occasionally one of the non-big box stores will get a tray or two of overpriced common cacti and succulents. So for $4 a beginner like me can get something I personally think is cool, despite how common it is, from Altman's. I'm more complaining about people's poor taste, (in my opinion) than the strawflowers, glitter and dye. At the end of the day it's all about what brings in the money. So sorry to all of you that hate this, as yes, I'm supporting the practice. However, if you would like to help a struggling college student get into growing cactus I would be glad to take your money and purchase from more reputable growers.

o

The worst thing about this is , maybe you don't realize, they charge you more for the cacti with the glued on flowers than the same cacti without. Lowe's sells them with and without the strawflowers, and the ones with the strawflowers cost more, always.

Christopher

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here