Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fuzzy Succulent: Brown Spots & Shriveling Leaves

Posted by RTavs PA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 11:02

Help! I'm new to succulents and trying my best here. I haven't yet identified this little guy, but he's definitely not doing well in my care. He has full sunlight in a bright, south facing window. The window gets bright light for most of the day. I've been watering until some seeps out the bottom, and then allowing to dry completely (about 7 days) before watering again. However, the leaves keep shriveling up and falling off, and I've noticed brown spots on the leaves and brown edges. Thank you!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fuzzy Succulent: Brown Spots & Shriveling Leaves

That looks like Echeveria 'Doris Taylor' (also known as 'Woolly Rose'). Sorry, I can't provide any other information; I don't grow Echeverias.

There are some Echeveria experts on here though, you should have an answer soon enough. :)

Planto

o

Not 'Doris Taylor'... not even Elizabeth Taylor. Possibly, E. pulvinata 'Ruby'. The picture is E. 'Doris Taylor' as she appears today.

Leaf loss on Echeveria, like any other plant, is a normal function of life. They will lose their lower leaves with time. If, however, you find the leaves are soft, they may not be getting enough water because of root rot or just under watering. As for the spots, not certain but could be water damage?????? And now after taking a second look, you might want take a look at the roots because that potting mix is rather heavy and looks like it may stay wet for some time... not good for a succulent. If the roots are good, i.e., look whitish, then add perlite, 50%, to what you have and replant. If the roots are rotted, cut the stem just above the roots and allow the stem to callous for a week and replant.

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 15:04

o

Thank you! It's definitely E. pulvinata 'Ruby' after looking at some other pictures on Google. The soil is a cactus/succulent mix. I had JUST watered it before taking that picture, so the soil may look really dark and wet. I'll be sure to inspect the roots, though, and take care of it if necessary.

o

Howard,
Haha, thanks for the humerous correction. I ought to stick to IDing cacti, eh?

Planto

o

Just having some fun... trust you weren't offended, Planto.

RT, just because it says, "Cactus & Succulent Mix" doesn't mean it will work for all C&S. My advice is to watch how you water and if things are staying wet for a week or so, it's time to lighten up!

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 16:49

o

Howard,
No offense taken at all. :) I am a bit more open minded than that (and my undies aren't on too tight, haha! Okay, TMI, I know).

Beth (Planto)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here