Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First attempts at transplants and I.D.

Posted by QSis none (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 11:05

Following the great advice from forum members, I've attempted my first transplants. I cut off the bright green sections so they would stand up flat. Let them callous over for a few days, then set them in cactus potting mix. I have not watered at all yet.

How do I know when to water/mist?

I also saved the original stalk, cutting it off about 4 inches up from the soil, to see what happens, as was also suggested.

And, you guys advised me to learn Latin names of plants, starting with those that I have. I looked through a ton of photos, and decided I have "Myrtillocactus geometrizans",

Right?

Guess I should get some pebbles to put on top, since they look so nice in all youse guys' photos!

Lee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
This is the original cactus photo

• Posted by QSis none (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 11:06

How do I post multiple photos in the same post?

Lee

o
RE: First attempts at transplants and I.D.

More than one pic Open a photo storage and sharing account from a place like Photobucket and copy in the HTML lines of the pics you want to share

You've seen those things you want to use as a top dressing ?
Well at at times it makes up about 1/3 of the soil as well as top dressing. By chance for the one in the pic this is one of those times.

o

I agree, those are overpotted - just a small amount of soil (and no watering of the soil itself, just misting the cutting) is needed. Once it's growing, you can then start to water and upsize its pot into something more suitable.

o

If the plant has roots, then water thoroughly. Norma

o

Norma,

The cuttings do not have roots, hence my suggestion.

o

• Posted by QSis none (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 17:05

Does "overpotted" mean that I put too much soil in the pot?

Thanks for the photo tip, mr. like!

Since I won't be able to see roots when they grow, I assume that if the cactus doesn't wiggle when I touch it, it has roots?

Did I correctly identify the cactus?

Sorry to be such a newbie!

Lee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here