Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldun2

Dropping Leaves in succulents

oldun2
14 years ago

I have a succulent, which looks a lot like a money tree, but the leaves are rolled not flat.

I have it for a number of years, but this year the leaves are dropping off in great amounts and small branches.

I have had leaves drop before but only say one or two a week, but yesterday there must have been a dozen and a small branch.

What seems to be the matter??

Comments (59)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    13 years ago

Depot the plant and check the roots for healthiness - many problems start there.

• oldun2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Trying the photo again

13 years ago

N,

Nope, sorry, but the link below may help you again - OTOH, Rosemarie's explained it elsewhere on this Forum, I just cannot find it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pic Posting

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

Why did you ask the question if you knew? How long have you been working with Jade. Have you wrote any short articles on the subject. Have you helped with a book and was requested to do so? Your "Jade" has more leaves now that it is taller? Have you changed the soil recently? I haven't and mine do not drop but a few leaves. Mine are root bound and do not drop leaves, mine hardly get any water and don't drop leaves mine are not planted in Peat Moss. There are several more reasons. If the weather where you live has warmed up that will set them of. They like cool weather especailly at night, 90F day time, and 60F nights.
    When you ask an open question to the group be kind enough to let the whole group respond, say thank you and then do what you please. I have responded to question as was correct, others then responded, they were thanked I was not. The poster immediatly on a list of people I now ignore. I don't care it they kill the plant.
    This is my new attitude, and I belive Pirate Girl knows exactly what I am talking about, no it's not about her. We are friends. I am shocked what I see and here on this forum, but very thankful with the help I have received and feel blessed and lucky. So thank you for replying and accept my apology for being to abrupt, just at my age I don't like to swallow a small greenhouse either. I just don't have the patience with good intentions and be insulted over and over by what we call whipper snappers. I will not correct by spelling will not spend the time and Jeff has been appointed my editor or any one else who wants to do it. If you understand what I was trying to write then you understood and it doesn't need corrected,. I hold back from nit picking, it discourages people to write, it is very intimidating to new people who haven't had professional training by the best in this country if not the world. I also read, that is why I have the books, I had them before I had the plants. What I don't know I ask the professionals, buy I trust what I am told or I wouldn't have asked. Norma

13 years ago

Norma,

I'm sorry about this if you have that impression, but I'm not your editor, moderator or anything else like that - I've never been nor do I wish to be. I don't know where you got that idea, but I assure you it's never been the case. Your ranting about things that aren't true is a little troubling.

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Perhaps folks could slow down a bit please & take a breath. As far as I can see (having read the thread several times over to be sure) the indentity of the OP's plant hasn't even been established yet, so Norma, I'm not sure what's going on here w/ your responses. Not a Jade, nor did I see offenses, thanks yous & the like, perplexing.

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

Yes a "Jade" ovata probably 'Gollum' by his discriptioon, or 'Hobbit' so I knew what the plant was. I wasn't born yesterday. I give up. Call Len Newton, or Steven Hammer. Jeff should explain it to this person. All Crassulacae drop leaves this time of the year. Sedum, Aeonium, Echevieria, Crassula. The more water they get the more they will drop. They have had these seasons for centuries and are not going to change now. If you want to kill them give them more water, and spray with the wrong pesticide. I know you don't believe me, so ask Jeff don't put it on a open forum to ask for help. All sorts of people like me may respond. Karen you should be able to figure out what is going on. Norma

• oldun2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all for bearing with me, I don't know why I could not get the photo on the forum, I have done it before on other forums? The photo appeared in the preview but not in the message. If it does not work this time I will give it best.

Cactusmcharris Post to "How Do I Add Pictures to My Posted Messages?" said

Type in the body of the message.

There is the IMG Link

[IMG]http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/pp209/old-n/2898.jpg[/IMG]

• penfold2
    13 years ago

Here is your picture.

{{gwi:527470}}

I don't think it's normal for a jade to be dropping lots of leaves at any time of the year. And I think you're probably right about the soil being compacted. I've also had this problem occur when a plant is severely root bound, but a compacted soil is more likely, and yours looks quite heavy in the picture. I would remove all the old soil, trim any excessively long roots, and repot with new porous soil. I use a very gritty soil that looks something like this one:

Succulent Soil Mix

13 years ago

N,

Well, you're getting there.

And I agree with Pen - leaf drop is certainly not happening on any of my Crasssulaceae (Crassula, Kalanchoe, Pachyphytum, Echeveria). While I'm watering only once a week to ten days (the plants aren't yet outside yet, because of the inclement weather) all signs on these plants are that they're in growth mode still.

I'd check the roots, as suggested. If it's nothing else obvious then the problem is almost always at the roots.

As a suggestion, I'd do as Pen suggests, repot into a better mix, and also trim off any spindly growth (the less-healthy pieces of your Crassula 'Gollum' as pictured above) and put where it can get some sun each day. Gradually increase the sun until it's getting as much as it can. This process shouldn't be sped up (for fear of sunburn, although this one's difficult to burn, but it can be done), but this plant will like full sun after a while. You can begin watering again when you see new growth - until then, I'd mist it only.

• oldun2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Penfold how did you get the pic in from my link?

I tried it in Optional link and Name of the link?

Thank you for your advice I will look at the repot it does look a little root bound

• penfold2
    13 years ago

This message board requires you to use the HTTP code, not the IMG code like many other boards. Photobucket offers several linking options in boxes below each picture. Just look for the HTTP link, then copy and paste it into your message wherever you'd like it to appear.

• oldun2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

For simplicity's sake (& for the less computer savvy):

in Photobucket it's the THIRD LINE OF CODE that one cuts & pastes into a message here.

When reviewing the cut & paste it will look like gobbledy- gook UNTIL one goes into the Preview where (if done correctly) it will appear as the actual pic/image, so then "Submit".

• jade_man
    13 years ago

Old-n,
    i was wondering if you have had any progress, with your plant. if so what has been done? we wish you the best of luck. as we all have plants, and plant problems from time to time. one thing i have learned about succulents is that they can recover from things that would kill most other plants.

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

Old-n Your description was perfectly clear to me. I have not repotted my 'Jades' for years. They hardly get any water, or fertilizer, they are directly under where the rain comes off the roof. They are root bound, and love it. They are outside year round with a 30% shade cloth, so they also get great air circulation. This my response to you, plants drop leaves, so do trees, and humans drop hair, and skin. I really don't what every one's problem is. Unless they smoke pot, these people are experienced growers, and should know where they plants grow in the wild. How much water they get. In-between season's they act weird, the plants do. It certainly doesn't hurt to check out all of your growing condition's that they suggested. I am not critizing them, oh I forgot we are old and I need their permission to join a discussion. Norma

• penfold2
    13 years ago

Norma, you say that your jades have not been repotted for years, are root bound, and hardly get any water or fertilizer. Then you say that it's normal for them to drop leaves. Maybe the reason your plants drop so many leaves is because of the poor conditions you give them. I'm not criticizing; some people think plants look more natural when grown hard. But a jade that is grown under more ideal conditions will not lose any significant amount of leaves. That is a sign of stress. Besides, the OP is losing branches as well as leaves. That is definitely a reason for concern.

And I hope you're not offended by any of the things being said here. People disagree at times, but disagreement does not have to imply hostility.

• oldun2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have been away, but from what was said in this site plus looking around the net.

I am going to remove the jade finger and wash all the soil off cut back the roots and re-pot it.

As I said I do not want to put it in a bigger pot, because I want to put it in a local show again and the 8-inch pot is as big as you can go, and that is what it is in now.

I am sorry I put the cat among the pigeons; I hope everything will go back to how it was before I came.

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

I wouldn't wash anything off the roots, just dry crumble the soil off the roots w/ your fingers. If the plant is already dropping leaves I think washing the roots is a bad idea, just invites rot. If the mix is dry, one can readily remove it w/ ones fingers, it comes right off. Then maybe dust the roots w/ cinnamon as an antifungal.

• oldun2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have not done anything yet.

I am up to my ears in work.

Dust with cinnamon, that is a new one on me.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Howdy, Old-N!

Although it isn't usually advised for succulents, Jades are one of those plants whose roots can be rinsed/washed thoroughly with warm water. Since we're heading into Spring, it should be even less of a concern.

After washing the roots, you'll want to let the root-ball dry for a day. You might set the Jade upright in an empty container with some newspaper below it. I, too, would dust the roots with cinnamon.

If you choose to wash the roots off, re-pot the Jade into dry mix. After one week or so, water the new mix thoroughly.

If you don't wash the roots off, re-pot immediately into dry mix....but water after 3 - 5 days. You still want to give any damaged roots time to form callus tissue before you commence with the moisture.

Josh

13 years ago

Hey, again...

I know this might seem a bit self-serving, but I'm going to link you to a couple
    Threads I started when I re-potted two of my Jades last summer. It couldn't be
    easier. The most important thing will be creating a fast-draining mix (no peat moss).

Jade cutting - re-pot (pics)

'Hummel's Sunset' Jade re-potting

Josh

• penfold2
    13 years ago

I've read that cinnamon inhibits root growth as well as fungal growth, so I avoid it unless it's for a caudex or thick taproot. Feeder roots regrow just fine once they're in a porous soil.

13 years ago

Interesting, Penfold.
    That's something to consider.

Josh

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Naw, Josh, I'm not going to worry about slowing root growth. I'd still rather have the rot deterent. I learned about Cinnamon for this from Orchid growers, it seems to be working.

13 years ago

Hey, Karen!
    I use cinnamon without reservation, too.
    I also use fire-place ashes on things I'm planting that might have mold (like Garlic).

It appears that the cinnamon affects plants with delicate roots - African Violets and *some* Orchids.

I tried to find some science behind the precaution, but couldn't.

Josh

• oldun2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I repoted the finger jade 2 days ago, plus dusted the roots with cinnamon.

But today the photo below is one day leaves that I removed.

a href="http://s412.photobucket.com/albums/pp209/old-n/?action=view&current=DSC02927.jpg"; target="_blank">{{gwi:527471}}

How long before it starts to pick up

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

Often people who do bonsai work trim the roots, then you must let it sit for several hours, no roots, then no water, if it has roots it may be watered, or you can start with damp soil. I live in the west, and cultural treatments are different. We have very dry humidity so we water less still no peat moss used. In Africa they grow in rock crevices. Any place they can get a toe hold. They can't be choosy. Norma

13 years ago

Old-n,

Those are all dead. You're going to need to start over with new leaves if you want plants.

13 years ago

Old-n,

Until you're a little more experienced, I would suggest that you create additional plants from chopping up a limb into several cuttings. Growing a plant from a leaf of certain plants can be challenging.

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

I don't know why yours drop leaves, mine do and alway have, when ever they are supposed to. I am constanly cleaning them up at the Huntington Gardens before the plant can be sold. So why shouldn't everyone else have plants that don't drop leaves, now are you all going to tell me the Liquid Umber don't drop leaves and the Elm trees, and the Cape Myrtle? You can't fool mother nature. Your plants don't drop leaves then I would like some cuttings. All my succulents drop leaves, they are supposed to sometime during the year, each one may be different, and I also believe different species, has a certain life span like Tropical Fish. If a plant is very young it will not drop leaves right away, but just wait until the third year then report back, but don't dare ask why. Norma

• jade_man
    13 years ago

Old-n,
    i hope you re-potted your plant into dry well draining soil. I would not water until the leaves are slightly soft.
    What did the roots look like? Are there any soft spots on any of your stems?
    IF the roots were in decent shape. IF there are no soft spots on any of the stem. IF it is not some sort of disease. Then i would expect to see some improvement in about a week.

• oldun2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your comments

The roots looked fine, I re-potted it in Potting Compost, Sand, and Cat Litter, I did not water but both sand and potting compost was damp, and I will leave it do dry out like normally do

13 years ago

Sand is not recommended for container soils, nor is potting compost for that matter.
    Cat Litter is only recommended if it has been fired at high heat and is stable - i.e. it
    won't become mush when wet.

Josh

• oldun2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was told my the person who sold me a number of my cucti to use

Horticultral sand (it says in the bag for mixing with compost for cuttings and young plants.)

Multi-purpose compost

Cat-litter

He had a big green house full of cacti and succulents and he said all of them were potted in it.

That is all I can say.

• beachplant
    13 years ago

Roflmao! Part of the reason I come to this forum is a good laugh. So many people with their panties in a wad.

How is your jade looking now? I know what you mean, I've had plants for years and one day they just decide to act different. You want to know why, what did I do?, not do?
    I root lots of stuff in sand, my back yard is sand, I add sand to my cactus/succulent mix when I repot them, EL Paso, where a ton of cactus grow very well, is sand. I LOVE sand! If the mix has worked for you then I would stick with it.

I think once in awhile plants just get old & want a change, new soil, a night out on the town....LOL!
    Good luck, let us know how it goes and just ignore the fighting. It appears to be the normal behaviour of some people on this forum. There are some very, very helpful people, pirate girl, Josh, Cactuscharris-who may be the most helpful for you as he grows plants in the frozen north-I'm on the Gulf Coast where it is hot and humid so I grow things in much different conditions, what works for me doesn't work for pirate girl and probably wouldn't work for you.

As my Aunt says, just cause your old doesn't make you a sweet little old lady/man, you're the same grouch you always were.
    Tally HO! (I'm sure I'm on a list now LOL!)

13 years ago

So, Olden, you'll be growing in a greenhouse, too?

Also, I think Olden was showing us dropped leaves...not necessarily leaves that he meant
    to propagate (correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks, Tally! :)

Josh

• oldun2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

josh you are correct they were leaves that dropped off in one day.

I have to keep my plants in the green house in the winter it is to clod here in the UK.

I have repotted and the leaves are still dropping 31 in two day I have collected, at this rate it will soon have not leaves

13 years ago

In what condition are the green leaves?
    Soft, wrinkled, firm, hard?

Jades will drop leaves at both ends of the moisture spectrum:
    if the plant is retaining water, it will drop leaves to reduce the moisture;
    if the plant is lacking water, it will draw water from the oldest/lowest leaves
    first, and then they'll shrivel up and fall off.

A yellow, soft leaf with some moisture remaining usually indicates over-watering.

A desiccated, dry yellow leaf without moisture indicates drouth.

Forgive me if this is old news to you!

Josh

• oldun2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Josh

I water it about every week to ten days, which is about what I aways have done

If you look at the photo above you well see what they are like, I would say a bit of both I can post another pic if it would help.

Thank Old-n

13 years ago

I can't tell at all what the leaves feel like.
    Are they soft, firm, hard, wrinkled?

Josh

• oldun2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I collected all the leaves last night, but found this two this morning.

The large leave is soft, the other soft but stiffer then the other it may be to do with the size

{{gwi:527472}}

Hope this helps

Old-n

13 years ago

Thank you!

Have you looked at the root-ball yet?

A plant will often drop the leaves that it can no longer support/sustain.

The plant will drop leaves if roots die or if the roots run out of room.
    Also, the plant will drop leaves if it doesn't receive enough sunlight to
    sustain the foliage (during the middle of winter, for instance).

I don't think you'll have positive results with the soil you listed previously,
    but it is your plant, for good or ill.

'Gollum' can grow absolutely huge in time, so don't deprive it of drainage
    or adequate root-room.

Josh

13 years ago

If the leaves are an indication of the health of your plant, it looks like they're drowning. Normal leaf drop is one thing (a few here and there as the plant grows) but if you're getting a lot it would seem that the soil is too water-retentive.

13 years ago

If the leaves are an indication of the health of your plant, it looks like they're drowning. Normal leaf drop is one thing (a few here and there as the plant grows) but if you're getting a lot it would seem that the soil is too water-retentive.

• oldun2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Josh

" Have you looked at the root-ball yet" what would I be looking for?

"roots run out of room" I think we can rule this one out for I have re-potted it.

"doesn't receive enough sunlight" It lives in our conservatory which as a glass roof.

"positive results with the soil you listed" I found an old bag of cacti compost on the shed do you think it would be better to re-pot it again in this?

Cactusmcharris, I don't think I am drowning it, I give it a small cup of water every 7 to ten days, would you say.

Thanks to both for your comments

• penfold2
    13 years ago

You should be using a soil that allows you to water until water runs out of the drainage hole. This flushes out salts that might otherwise accumulate and prevent roots from absorbing water. Standard peat based soils hold too much water in many situations, forcing people to water lightly or risk rot.

A soil mix like the one I linked to earlier will do wonders for your plant. If nothing else, at least amend your soil with lots of grit of some sort (pumice, gravel, lava rock, perlite, etc). Try to avoid fine particles like peat, compost, topsoil, and sand.

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

I never said my plants drop a lot of leaves, when they get old they normally drop leaves. Just like we lose hair.
    I noticed that there was a rotting spot at one of the leaf nodes, and I think I either saw a white fungus or mealies on several other places. I would spray these once a week until get rid of the trouble, use what ever you do for this problem. Keep them on the dry side, and inspect all of your other plants and see if the problem is spreading to them, check for any ants, and make sure that you do start extra plants like Jeff suggested. When I looked again it looks like it has mold, at the node where the new stems start. Isolate new plants for two weeks before introducing them into your collection. Don't get me wrong, once in a while I have a problem with one of my plants it is sitting in the driveway until it is spotless. It came from a nursery just a month ago. Norma

13 years ago

How healthy were the roots?
    Did they smell vegetative and clean?

Josh

• oldun2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

They looked OK did not notice a smell