Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Camelot cactus - Top heavy - What to do?

Posted by kelli08 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 11:43

I have a 30-year-old 'Camelot' that was given to me 7 years ago. For the first 23 years, it only had the main stalk and a side shoot. Both were sunburnt.

Once we got it and took good care of it, it started growing like crazy. Right now, it weighs about 30 lbs, and is about 1 1/2' wide and 2' tall.

The issue: All of this weight is on a very small base trunk which isn't bigger in diameter than an egg, and about 4-5" tall. We keep it indoors in fall / winter, but move it outside in late spring.

We worry that this beautiful plant is going to break at the base. Can we heap up the 'soil' to above the base? Or, would that kill it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Camelot cactus - Top heavy - What to do?

Hi,
Could you provide a picture? I've never heard of a 'Camelot cactus' and I'm interested in seeing what it looks like.

Planto

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 13:01

Cereus peruvianus monstrose.

Never heap up soil around the base of any plant--the exceptions are roses, clematis, and tomatoes. Any other plant beside that will be suffocated. Roses, clematis, and tomatoes sprout new stems from dormant buds at the base.

A lot of people will support a top heavy cactus or succulent by providing a rock or boulder for it to lean on.

o

I'll post a pic asap. My camera's a little messed up, so it might take a bit.

o

This is one of mine. It's about two feet tall. I have had them for about 6 years and they are slow growing. You might want to do as I have done and put it in a larger pot as a grouping and support it with a rock to the back.

o

My other one same here rock to the back

o

Close up of top newer growth. Spines are red which gives it a little more character. Very unusual and hard to find.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here