Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kittiekat_gw

need help with re-potting a very small plant

KittieKAT
9 years ago

Any advice on how to take this baby plant outta the big plant to pot in its own 1.5 inch pot, or should i just let them grow together? The bigger plant isNot doing so well Wanna save the little one and work on the one that's NOT doing so well

Comments (8)

• KittieKAT
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ican't figure out if it's only secured by the leave on the bottom or if it's rooted?

• KittieKAT
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's got its own routing system but it's sooo secure to the mother plant that i didn't wanna rip the roots inn fear it would die....I'm such a baby!

Any advice would HELP for now i pot them both back into a bigger pot Temp till i figure it out

• Maria Elena (Caribbean - USDA Zone 13a)
    9 years ago

Looks like it already has its own root system. You can just separate it from the mother...Just brush off some of the soil to make sure you're getting its roots and use your fingers to gently pry it from mom...with its roots. Careful not to break the tender babe.

• KittieKAT
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's got its own routing system but it's sooo secure to the mother plant that i didn't wanna rip the roots inn fear it would die....I'm such a baby!

Any advice would HELP for now i pot them both back into a bigger pot Temp till i figure it out

• Maria Elena (Caribbean - USDA Zone 13a)
    9 years ago

If, like you said, the bigger plant is not doing so well, just cut the connecting root....go ahead....don't be afraid. It will callous over and be fine. Now you can focus on the mother plant.

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Loosen up your soil more... the smallest new growth has the best but most of the plant has potentual to become an entirly new plant than can grow and with good care become better looking than what it looks like now.

Weclome to the forum or maybe I should say Propergating to bring back life to succulents 101.

• KittieKAT
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Haha for sure nomen! I do have a soft spot for the worst off looking succulents in the store to try abs save them, ilooked it over and the babe has a very small root system ofits own, but the soil in the bottom of the whole thing is really dry and prob very very old. . And i can't really get at the baby's tender root system without breaking the roots off from both plants where it's hard at the bottom from someone who didn't much care for the plants before i took them in, I'm gonna try again in a lil while so i don't disrupt anything and regret IT! I have a lot of babies plants growing next to there mothers just been very very scared too put the babies in a Shock that they cant recover!

Thanks for the help, all advice is thanked and much appreciated

• KittieKAT
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Haha for sure nomen! I do have a soft spot for the worst off looking succulents in the store to try abs save them, ilooked it over and the babe has a very small root system ofits own, but the soil in the bottom of the whole thing is really dry and prob very very old. . And i can't really get at the baby's tender root system without breaking the roots off from both plants where it's hard at the bottom from someone who didn't much care for the plants before i took them in, I'm gonna try again in a lil while so i don't disrupt anything and regret IT! I have a lot of babies plants growing next to there mothers just been very very scared too put the babies in a Shock that they cant recover!

Thanks for the help, all advice is thanked and much appreciated

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County