Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to contain wild succulent growth?

Posted by gardenweb88 none (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 12:43

I have a Crassula ovata growing in my yard and its sprouting up in places I'd like it not to. Our gardener will buzz off a few branches and the fallen leaves will root where they fall. I have Crassula ovata growing under and within existing bushes. and just all over the place. The smaller stems I can yank out of the ground, root and all. There are some Crassula ovata that have been growing hidden under other bushes that now have 3" thick diameter stems. It'd be incredibly difficult for me to dig out all the roots. I spent the weekend sawing the stems down to inches of the roots. I've read that falling leaves will start new roots and that cutting growth down to the roots will still allow the thing to come back.

How can I control this thing? Can I spray herbicide on those stems that I've already cut down to the ground? My family is intent on keeping the two main Crassula ovata bushes we have. One is 4' tall and the other is close to 6' tall.

This post was edited by gardenweb88 on Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 12:46

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to contain wild succulent growth?

Their roots don't go deep or long, so the non-herbicidal way to go is to sever the trunks slightly below the soil line. I'd think that would eventually kill the plant, but it would give you two or three years of peace anyway. You could likely do it with a sharp square-edged shovel.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here