Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamaflo_gw

Still unsure of succulent watering and cuttings?!

MamaFlo
10 years ago

Hi all,
I've looked and read and searched and read some more, but I'm still unsure of 2 things with the care of my recent succulent purchases. I hope someone can clarify!

I purchased an assorted mix of succulents just because i love the variety and unusual shapes. I also purchased a bunch of cuttings.

When they arrived I potted up the plants in 3" clay pots in a 50/50 mix of perlite and cactus soil. They drain exceptionally well. Which leads me to my first question.
These drain so fast that by day 2 after watering they feel completely dry again. Does that mean it's time to water again? Is it good to be watering every other day because they are dry already? should I just do it weekly? I'm so used to watering when my plants are dry, I feel these need it too!

The second question is about my cuttings. Some were leaves and some were actual cuttings. They were calloused over, so I set them in a shallow dish with my 50/50 mix. Did not water. Now almost all have succeeded in sending out roots or new babies.

How long do the roots need to be before potting up and watering? Should they receive some water now where they are? should I plant the leaves that have babies now or wait til they are bigger? And do they need water yet?

I'm so afraid I will over water that I may not be giving them enough!

Thanks for your help in this!
below is one of my potted plants--no clue to ID....but I'm still learning...that will come.. :)

Comments (3)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio