Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hijole

"The Gathering of Succulents" Lets see some of your repots.

hijole
9 years ago

Hello all you cacti & succulent lovers out there I know you've been thinking about posting a new potting or repotting project let us see them plz.

This is one I've had that were all in separate pots and I joined them together to celebrate spring. Lets see what's new in your garden.

Greg

Comments (66)

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

I may have to venture into the world of combined pots. Yours look great, Greg! (I've always worried about having to tote them in quickly if a hurricane is headed my way.)

This isn't exactly a pot. I have some large hunks of interesting coral in my landscape. The holes are just screaming for something to be planted in them. They drain exceptionally well, so I have started with some burro's tail in this spot.

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Crenda, that looks very nice, I like the colored rock mixed with the burro tails, they compliment each other real good.

Heres a shot of some succulents I resently planted in the ground, I like the many colors but I'm serious I want to set up something similar to your display next.
    Well good night yawl, Greg

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just one more before I hit the hay, the orange flower is an orchid called poormans orchid, No relation. And on the floor is a small mexican fence post that recently was chopped up because of some fungus so I planted it in this small pot surrounded by firecracker trucalli behind them all.

Greg

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Here's something I've been working on....not really colorful right now, though. This is in my fenced flower garden, at the base of an oak tree, so the area is fairly dry. I moved some Sempervivum to fill in the open spaces. Should be awesome this Summer.

Josh

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

Looking good guys.Greg,what other colors do you have that epidendrum in?? I have that orange,yelloe,red and lavender.Do you know if it comes in white?

Josh,those semps should fill in nicely,i have a bunch of those in those stacking planters.
    Tfs
    Kathi

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Josh nice looking display there can't wait to see the way it turns once everything get's bigger.

Kathi, thanksm I think I've seen it in white but I only have the orange colored one. You know what I've noticed is that closer by the beach these epi's bloom like 4 times that size and I can't seem to make mine get that big 35 miles away any tips on that?

Thanks, Greg

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

Sorry Greg,don't know what to tell you.I do live along the coast and mine bloom ALL year long,not as profusely as they do now,but they are never without a bloom.

Yesterday In wally world I picked up these good size disco type easter eggs,they were 75% off so less than a dollar for a pack of 2,so I got 2 pkgs to hang in the garden and on the patio .In the garden I hung them from the shepards hooks,and on the patio they just hang off hooks.Look nice and sparkly blowin' around in the sun/wind.

Always looking for more stuff for the gardens.
    Kathi

PS greg,if you want some of the other colors,of the epis,just say the word,i'd be happy to share.

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Kathi, actually I would like some of the other colors when you can spare some, I would love some cuttings. WoW!!! all year long blooms I don't know what it is with mine I'm just now starting to get some blooms on mine and I fertilize it and try to create a humid jungle atmosphere for them and they only bloom like once a year. I need some help I guess.

Nice find on those disco type easter eggs too how about a picture of them when you get a chance.

Greg

• cactus_cowboy
    9 years ago

Glandulicactus uncinatus seedlings repotted. I had a helluva time untangling these hook spined little rascals from one another to get the job done. I'm hoping for flowers this year.

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok so heres a little color for this monday afternoon in my garden, enjoy your week

Greg

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok so heres a little color for this monday afternoon in my garden, enjoy your week

Greg

{{!gwi}}

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Greg

{{!gwi}}

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

My favorite colorful bunch at the moment. Sedum adolphii. No idea why they are taking turns in turning red, but I like it!

• lakim
    9 years ago

I make tiny succulent gardens in unusual containers..

• lakim
    9 years ago

I call them Little Gems.

• lakim
    9 years ago

Here's another.

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lakim, i really enjoyed seeing these ideas which added a little inspiration to my mind thank you for sharing.

Greg

• lakim
    9 years ago

Thanks, Greg. Here's a little bird house I put together.

• lakim
    9 years ago

My mother used to collect Royal Doulton character mugs. I think she would have loved what I've done with this one.

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

lakim,
    I like all those little gems.

Looks like no one copied and pasted any of mine,i know it's a pain,but you're missing out!1

I have to figure dropbox out.Sorry for the inconvience.
    kathi

• Brunilda
    9 years ago

I have adding succulents to my garden in different spots where I want interest.

• Brunilda
    9 years ago

• Brunilda
    9 years ago

• bob61
    9 years ago

Lots of beautiful plants got a new home I see. I just planted this strawberry pot I got as a Christmas present.

• Beachplants
    9 years ago

Some nice ideas and inspirations from all! loved looking through the post. very nice indeed.

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bob61, I just had to add this one to go with your strawberry pot, I put this one together right at the beginning of Spring. I too like all the nice was that everyone has shared, HEY WHEN YOUR HOOKED! Your HOOKED! Lol...

brunilda very nice also, its amazing what we can put together to make our own private gardens.

I'm about to go outside and put a shovel in my hand, let see what comes to mind :)

Greg

• treehugger101
    9 years ago

These pics are great! A lot of the pics are planted in glazed ceramic pots. Do they all have drainage holes or can I use some that don't?

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Treehugger, Thank you, Well I can say this about the last pic of the "LARGE CUP" and the first pic on this post, those both have drainage holes however I have used some that don't have any holes and it does make a difference, They just don't seem to look strong and healthy, I think you can get away with it if you don't mind rotating them more often than at least once a year.

Greg

• Brunilda
    9 years ago

Drainage holes are a must in Florida since we get a lot of rain in the summer. In fact I put a course layer of gravel in the bottom of all my plants so they don't get root rot.

• angellilly
    9 years ago

Great pictures,great plants!here is mine 3 years ago,now the plants are scarily big and the pot is not so neat and tidy anymore.....
    {{gwi:528753}}

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Angellily - Love your ferocious lizard in the center! I have a folder of "photobombs" by lizards and toads. This guy hopped on my Aloe 'Snowstorm' when I was trying to take a picture. LOL

• chicagardens
    9 years ago

kathi_mdgd - unfortunately dropbox is not the best for linking images because it links to an image within a dropbox frame page rather than the actual image. if i copy your links i can totally see them within the dropbox frame page.

I do love dropbox for other things like easy upload of files and sharing with family.

great pics though! :)

• chicagardens
    9 years ago

lakim - love the seashells! i have a couple too, i should post mine.

angellilly - I have one with a grasshopper and one with a hummingbird i should upload. :)

hijole - i finally got a teacup! i need to plant something in it. :)

BrunildaFl - i really like what you did with that corner in your garden, very creative!

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

Chicago,thanks for that info.I went back to photocopier today.

Greg,I bought 2 big teacups last week and planted them on Sunday.I'll have to snap a picture and show you.mine came with a saucer,and the drain holes already in them.Got them for just a couple dollars each at a new discount store we recently got here,that is part of the Ross chain of stores.Another great bargain store,with a little of everything in it.
    Kathi

• angellilly
    9 years ago

Crenda, that Aloe is gorgeous!!!!!(forget about the lizard,hahaha)
    chicagardens, please do!id love to see them!

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok Ladies let's see them Tea cups fill um up quickly please :)

Crenda, Lol... I thought I was about to see a GIECO commercial, looks nice to great shot and thxs for sharing.

Kathi,Can't wait for you to post your tea cups and if we can get somemore of the forum to get a cup maybe we can all meet for Tea one day in the garden web site, Can anyone drink to that?

angellilly, Nice group of aloes you have there 0r is it had there? If they've grown to big maybe you could separate some of them a grap a Tea cup and join us in our tea party, Lol.. :)

Greg

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Heres and oldie I put together about a year ago, lets see I think I named this one the " Don King" of succulents lol..

Greg

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

I like "the Don King" of succulents!

I did something similar, but I didn't choose my plant wisely. He now has dreadlocks covering his face. I think this pot looks like Sgt. Schultz on Hogan's Heroes! LOL

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Crenda, I like those dreads & I can see the resemblance hahaha nice and thick hair too.

Kathi, I'm just throwing this comment in here about the plant with the ted berries, its this one the Aloe plicatilis, I really like this one too and I'm about to plant him in the ground real soon since I have 4 of them :)

Greg

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

Greg and Crenda,i love "don king" and "dreadlocks".My hope is to someday to find a good size pot that's a head and plant some of that blonde grass in it.Greg since you're in s.ca I'm sure you know the name of the grass I'm speaking of,either that or a donkeys tail.

I planted my teacups the other day,just forgot to take a picture of them,will have to remedy that in the next day or so.
    kathi

• treehugger101
    9 years ago

Kathi_mdgd, Etsy has a TON of head planters in all different prices. Maybe you will find what you want for the grasses.

Here is a link that might be useful: Head Planters

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

Thanks treehugger,I'll have to go take a look.I've been wanting a "head" plantar for a long time
    Kathi

• Maria Elena (Caribbean - USDA Zone 13a)
    8 years ago

Time to bump up this topic...Hello & a marvelous weekend to all.

All of these are cuttings from the same Euphorbia. I shared my original baby a couple of years back (above), which is a combination straight stalk w/crested head.

8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Photobomb...what a little ham! LOL!!!

• nomen_nudum
    8 years ago

Hello to you too and thanks for bumping the thread..

Any way of seeing the Agave in whole ?

8 years ago

Not a repot...Posting by request.

Love this thread...Such great photos.

Taken at 1st light:

• Laura Smyer (9a)
    8 years ago

2 lanterns-turned-planters (I'm calling them "planterns"). First one is going to be a work in progress for quite some time. Hopefully this turns out really well and isn't just a costly experiment.

Thanks for letting me share!

• Laura Smyer (9a)
    8 years ago

Yay, it worked! Thanks LatinLady!

And I'll throw in today's repot of my Agave Americana too!

8 years ago

Laura, try editing your comment. You can still change it and add photos...we'd like to see your repots!