Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clusty1

name the succulent

clusty1
9 years ago

Hey,

I got this plant from the local supermarket, and as usual no species label.
Anybody has an idea what it might be called?

Comments (21)

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Beaucarnea recurvata, AKA 'Ponytail Palm.' Not a succulent, but moreso a houseplant. Usually treated like a succulent though. Each little "tuff" is actually one plant, so you have multiple 'Ponytail Palms' in your pot.

Planto

• 0nametaken0
    9 years ago

I have one that maybe half the size of that. I wanted to ask, can I keep this in the balcony for the summer? Temps will reach up to 40c (104f) and I will be watering once a week. There are a few heads and it is in a heavy container. The biggest head in an inch in diameter. Im in zone 5.

Hope Im not taking away from the OPs question or anything.

• clusty1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Are you sure about that.
    They are quite small compared to poneytail palms.
    I could have sworn it was a: Albuca augrabiehil
    Guess not...

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

NameTaken,
    I don't think it would do it any harm out on your balcony. I'm not sure what sun it could take, if any?

Clusty,
    I used to have a cluster of 'Ponytail Palms,' the smallest was a little bigger than a quarter.

Planto

• 0nametaken0
    9 years ago

Thanks for the reply. Not sure about your question. The reason I asked was because plants can either take good strong heat and full day of sun while others are more indoor, shaded plants. Since this plant is so small, it seems delicate to me. So I tought to ask. I would love to put all my tropical plants outside, but Im sure they were not meant for those conditions.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

NameTaken,
    I guess when in doubt, don't. I know that you're in zone 5 and I can't imagine your summer sun is as intense as mine, but I'd hate to tell you to put your 'Ponytail Palm' outdoors and it dies. I know that they like some sun indoors, but I also know outdoor sun is a bit more intense than indoor sun. Sorry, I'm not sure I was very helpful. Maybe someone else with more experience with growing these outdoors will chime in and tell you.

Planto

• 0nametaken0
    9 years ago

Hey, no problem. Thats why I asked here because I would like to hear from someone who actually has the plant. I did a google search and didnt find much. All the sites say this and that but its not coming from a person with actual experience. Here our summers are long and intense I would say. As I mentioned, in the balcony it gets to 40c (104f). Seeing how strange the weather has been the past few years I wont be surprised if we hit even higher temps this summer.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

NameTaken,
    I had my own little batch at one point, but they lived indoors. My Mother had one that went outside until it got too cold, but she had it in a spot on her patio that didn't receive any direct sun. I wish I could be of more assistance, but my knowledge is limited with no personal experience. You could try asking on the Houseplants forum, I'm sure someone there would know.

Planto

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

I sure don't want to steer anyone wrong, especially since I don't grow this plant/tree. But here in SW Florida many people have them in their yards. My neighbor has lovely one that is now about 15 feet tall and it gets full sun from a southern exposure.

SO - I'm guessing that yes, the plant can be acclimated to full sun.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Crenda,
    That's interesting!

Planto

• brodyjames_gw
    9 years ago

Clusty,

Definitely some kind of Beaucarnea...Albuca leaves are round like chives/onions, not flat.

NameTaken,

I had one that I put outside in full sun (z5, WI) and it did fine. They are native to Mexico and Guatemala, so, as long as it is acclimated and properly watered, it should do fine.

Nancy

• mingtea
    9 years ago

Although I also believe you have a beaucarnea, quite a few albuca species have flat leaves... Ex. Albuca nelsonii.

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Ponytail as mentioned.The mentioned Albunca has much wider flat leaves.

• teengardener1888
    9 years ago

I also live in zone 5 , it will be fine

• 0nametaken0
    9 years ago

Encouraging replies! Thanks to all who replied to me as well as the op. Would it be fine if I posted a pic of mine here for a positive id or is it better to start a new topic?

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

NameTaken,
    Go ahead and post your picture. I doubt the OP will mind. :)

Planto

• 0nametaken0
    9 years ago

Thanks Planto, I hope the OPs Q has been answered so they wont mind.

I wanted ID on both plants, one, I hope is a ponytail while the other darker leaved plant I have no idea. Its not a succulent or cacti so not sure if anyone can help. Does not hurt to try.

{{gwi:528978}}

{{gwi:528979}}

{{gwi:528980}}

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Looks like a Ponytail to me. And if you're referring to the one in your last picture, I believe it's some form of Alocasia.

Planto

• 0nametaken0
    9 years ago

Planto, thank you!!!! Yes I was referring to the last pic. googling that name has brought up pics, now I can narrow down the search.

• greendale
    9 years ago

Alocasia 'polly'. African mask.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

NameTaken,
    Sure thing. :) Looks like green narrowed it down for you.

Planto

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor