Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mushibu10

epiphyllum cutting to flowering, how long?

mushibu10
9 years ago

hello,

I have a few epiphyllum cuttings got this year.
I would like to know how long it will take to flower from cutting? I can't seem to find the information.

thank you

Comments (15)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

How about a picture of them? And were they from flowering plants?

Generally a few years is enough for most to flower.

• hijole
    9 years ago

Mushi, from my experience mine started on the 2nd year, and like you I thought the first year, Hey! What about mine?! But she produced the next year and there after. Patience is the key :) mean while you can look at my picture lol..

Greg

• mushibu10
    Original Author
    9 years ago

this is the arkammii (or how ever it's spelt)

this was from a flowering plant.

my other one showboat is at mothers and that was also from a flowering plant.

• mushibu10
    Original Author
    9 years ago

wow! very nice. does it branch at the base/soil or like a tree and form 'branches'

• hijole
    9 years ago

Mushibu, you know I just walked outside to notice because I never noticed that before, it looks like it branches out like a tree.

Greg

• mushibu10
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oh wow. that is a fantastic collection of succulents I don't have my but I have more cacti and I think my peanut cacti is going to flower soon.

branches fantastic. I grow dragon fruit too. that's in my green house. that is a vine it's a nightmare. to keep under control it's been 3 years no flowers yet.

that image is a few weeks old. it's now 22.34 at night in UK.

uou might know is the British sun to harsh for cacti (the ones that. don't like direct sun)?

• hijole
    9 years ago

Mushibu, 3 years, it could be that this is your year for blooming, Jeff mentioned 3 yrs so that could be the norm for these Epis, mine have bloomed this year and I'm noticing another bunch of blooms appearing on the branches so I'm about to get another show of these in a while.

Greg

• mushibu10
    Original Author
    9 years ago

this is my only flowering cacti at the moment.

my easter, Xmas, mammillaria. elongata also have flowered before. but the one I've sent image of it taken a month to get to this point. cause with the easter/Xmas flowers opened with in a week.

the dragon fruit is the hylocereus undatus. I didn't think that was an ephi

so it could be one year to 5 for epis. to flower?
    what about rooted cuttings from plants that hasn't flowered. will it flower quickly or around same time as mother plant,

sorry so many questions.

thank you

• leahrenee1
    9 years ago

I think mine took just about three years. I have no idea what the parent plant was doing as they were online purchases.

• chrisware
    9 years ago

Many of mine bloomed at 2nd year.

• chrisware
    9 years ago

I just realized how deceptive that pic looks. The bloom bud opened on top of a pot of haworthia, so it looks like it's coming out of it. Ha.
    I wish haworthia a looked like epis when they bloom

• mushibu10
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ha! yes very deceptive this is my peanut cactus flower! :)

• ladylotus
    9 years ago

It all depends on the material that you rooted. I believe that if you have a piece of a mature branch you can easily get bloom the first year. If you have an immature piece it could take 2 to 3 years.

A lot of mine bloomed the first and second year I rooted them.

Good luck...

• luv_daises
    9 years ago

what is the mix that you pot them in?

• hijole
    9 years ago

Hello ya'll , just thought I'd share another bloom that is showing different shades of my epis the one on the left side is a lighter shade. I really enjoy watching these things bloom at this time of year which is one of the reasons I love spring time.

Greg

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio