Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

I think its SO strange...

puglvr1
11 years ago

Its one of the mysteries I've been trying to solve since I've been growing Jades and Succulents. I can get blooms from these succulents and yet I've NEVER been able to get one of my Jades to ever bloom!! SO Strange!!

I wonder what can be SO different in my growing care between them or what am am I missing or not doing to get any of my Jades to ever bloom?

{{gwi:530373}}

{{gwi:530374}}

{{gwi:530375}}Even my Donkey's Tail has bloomed for me...

{{gwi:530376}}

Comments (12)

• jeepman69
    11 years ago

Nice looking blooms. Wish I could make suggestion on the jade for you, but I am in the same boat.

Glenn

• Microthrix
    11 years ago

I think i read somewhere that in winter they need like no water or something and it trigers blooms

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

Nice plants,and i have all of the same ones.My jades have always bloomed and i thought all of them did,all the ones i see around here do and i never thought anything about it.I also found out through this forum that one plant i thought was a jade,in reality is not.So i could be wrong,and it wouldn't be the first time,or the last.LOL
    Kathi

• unprofessional
    11 years ago

I let them get a bit cold in fall, bring them in, and boom, blooms.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Oh Nancy! BEAUTIFUL your plants are and yet you don't need to have jades bloom in order to get such beauty as you have:-)

By the way! I think I have an idea of what makes jades bloom. All of mine that bloomed had a very humid and cool environment but in a dry mix. I left them alone in one spot and forgot about them.

As for the one I shared with everyone, that one has only bloomed since I chopped it up and shared. You could try that too.

Many hugs to you from us here at my home.

Mike

• brodyjames_gw
    11 years ago

Nancy,

I have the same problem with stapelias and huernias....I can't keep staps alive, but the huernias get bigger and bloom every year!

Nancy (the other one) :)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Nancy,

Like us, it's maturity of the plant / branch, IME.

And those other ones - they flower sooner (obviously, eh?) because they grow faster and arrive at maturity sooner.

I like the other ones, too. Just because we don't have a flowering C. o. doesn't mean we shouldn't get a T-bone (from Neil Young's song of the same name from his album Reactor.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks you guys for all the moral support, it means a lot and I'm happy to hear that I'm not alone out there,lol...

I've certainly done everything that's been suggested here, keeping it "very" cold (kept it outside all year except when the temps were forecast to get below 30 degrees), kept it very dry, lots of sun, use the gritty mix, etc. But maybe Jeff has part of the key...Maturity?

Most of mine aren't old. The largest/oldest Jade I own is this one and I purchased it about 5 years ago. I guess I'll never give up hope that some winter in the not so distant future it will happen? You guys will definitely be the second ones to know.

Picture when I first Purchased on Jan. 22, 2007
    {{gwi:530377}}

Taken end of Oct. 2011
    {{gwi:530378}}

You can see the trunk has gotten some size to it...
    {{gwi:530379}}

Hi Mike, give your Mom and hug from me, and thanks for advise as well :o)

You guys that live in CA definitely don't have a problem getting your Jades to bloom...mine did as well when I lived there many years ago. The challenge is to get them to bloom in Florida,lol...

Jeff, you're too funny!! I Do love my Jades even when they don't bloom...but its definitely "icing" on the cake so to speak.

Thanks again for help and support.

• alpq
    11 years ago

Even though you can't get your jade to bloom, the pruning you have done over the years is truly fantastic!

• Denise
    11 years ago

Pug,

I grew them 30 years before I got my first blooms. It took having the cojones to leave a mature plant outside right up until the first frost to get one to bloom.

I have to give you kudos, though, for growing them at all in the Florida humidity. My ex was in the Air Force and I moved down to Biloxi, MS to join him in 1980 - I took a Jade (and several other plants...) I lost the Jade within a month - it literally turned to mush!

Denise in Omaha

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Hey, Nancy!
    You may not have Jade blooms, but everything else sure looks good! ;-)

Josh

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply, I haven't been on this forum for a few days.

Hi Denise, that's good to know...now I have hope and I'll never give up! Hopefully, it won't take me that long,lol... Thanks for your support. That story reminds me of my sister who moved from CA to Las Vegas...one of her treasured Jade plant that she took with her was one of the first casualty of extreme summers...like you said hers "turned to mush" literally as well!

Thanks alpq!

Hi Josh, I appreciate the kind comments...thanks!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting