Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tn_veggie_gardner

Mother of 1000 Plant Care?

tn_veggie_gardner
14 years ago

I just recently received 2 rooted Mother of 1000 plants in the mail from a nice person. =) Since I accidentally killed my last one (left out in cold wet rain), I figured i'd ask for a bit of assistance/guidance this time to avoid a repeat occurence. I really just need to know the basic care instructions. I know now, obviously, that they don't like rain or cold weather or a combination of both. How much water do they need? What about sunlight? Fertilizer, if any? Please LMK. =)

Thanks! - Steve

Comments (19)

• pirate_girl
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Why not do a search on it or on its botanical name Bryophyllum daigremontiana? That will give you all the care info.

Otherwise, they're pretty much made of steel & indestructible (except for too much water, as you've discovered).

• rosemariero6
    14 years ago

Short answer: Neglect!

Throw it out on your sidewalk or driveway. :) It'll find a way to survive! :P Dry, sunny is good. Water only enough to keep it going. If it freezes where you are--I don't know about that-if it'll survive. (but I would bet money it would)
    No fertilizer necessary. (Hint: this is a weed in sunny places. Think about how it got its name.)

• paracelsus
    14 years ago

I suggest napalm bombardment.

• johnh_or
    14 years ago

Those babies will root in your carpet....and any other plant in the near vicinity!

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Come on now, go easy on me. ;-) The original Mother of 1000 I had was my first succulent ever. I did manage to save one of the babies that it grows on the leaves. I have nursed it from a tiny 1/2 cm baby to a 4 inch tall plant now. That deserves some credit! lol.

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

I agree with all of the above, it thrives on neglect, but will grow even better with some care, it does have beautiful red flowers that from a ring of red and hang down, they can take rather cold weather down to 20F. or lower. Keep it sitting by it's self as it is invasive but very stricking with gray leaves with dark blotches that is tubler in shape. It pops up all over in other pots, so you be dillegent it taking out the ones that are in other pots.
    don't water no more than once a week, and perhaps two, I don't know your growing conditions. Just don't be fussy with the plant, use poor lean soil. Norma

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok, maybe why my two rooted recently added MO1000 plants are looking just ok is actually because i'm paying too close attention to them! lol...With the watering only once a week, is that ok for a spot that gets about 4 hours of midday sun or should I move it to a shadier or sunnier spot? Thanks y'all for the help. I could Google this all & read for hours to find the things you posted in a minute or so, but what father of 2 young kids has that kind of time, seriously? =)

- Steve

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I threw them on the sidewalk & they're doing fine! Just kidding. They are fine though. =) Have rooted well & are growing nicely again. Thanks y'all.

- Steve

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    13 years ago

Steve,

This plant actually is most suitable for a father of two young kids, as folks here have previously posted that this plant's good with benign neglect.

The more sun you give it, the faster it will grow (combine this with a little more water, if it's drying out, and you too will soon be sending plantlets of this out.

Also, as the previous posters have intimated, this plant's a pest for those with Mediterranean-like climates in their gardens. I made the mistake early in my C&S life of putting this in the front yard - I spent the next 5 years removing plantlets.

There are three you might look at for IDing your plant:

Bryophyllum tubiflorum (Kalanchoe tubiflora)
    Bryophyllum delagoense (K.d.)
    Bryophyllum 'Houghton's Hybrid' (not sure about this one, but it's out there with a Bryphophyllum-like growth pattern).

• rosemariero6
    13 years ago

Glad to hear your plant is doing well, Steve. Yes, being a parent of 2 little ones makes TIME a precious commodity (well, even as teens-I find it the same). As Jeff said, perfect plant for you! Hey-that throwin' on the sidewalk bit worked for ya! :D

These are beautiful plants, but I do believe in "too much of a good thing". As Jeff pointed out, these can become a pest if you live in a Mediterranean-type climate (like I do).

Here is a perfect example of a "garden escape":

Click for larger pix:

{{gwi:530838}} {{gwi:530839}} {{gwi:530840}}

{{gwi:530841}} {{gwi:530842}} {{gwi:530843}}

Above are Bryophyllum delagoense/tubiflorum -or back to using Kalanchoe delagoensis/tubiflora. I saw while driving by someone's yard. Neat...BUT...a bit much, doncha tink?!?

Here is my Kalanchoe x houghtonii (previously Bryophyllum 'Houghton's Hybrid') at various stages over the years. Looks vary depending on where it was grown (sun, no water=brown, shade, water=green). They are all from the same plant. You can see the mini jungles it creates as well as how it is growing in pots where it doesn't belong. So, you have been warned! Watch for plantlets growing & pull the ones you don't want before it's too late!
    {{gwi:502211}} {{gwi:530844}} {{gwi:502213}}

{{gwi:530845}} {{gwi:502214}} {{gwi:502218}}

{{gwi:502216}} {{gwi:530846}} {{gwi:502219}}

{{gwi:502222}} {{gwi:502201}} {{gwi:530848}}

{{gwi:481518}} {{gwi:481515}} {{gwi:481504}}

{{gwi:481501}} {{gwi:502203}} {{gwi:530850}}

{{gwi:502204}} {{gwi:502212}} {{gwi:530852}}

All are on the SOS program in my yard (Sink Or Swim)! :D

I just used up time I didn't have...so back to work for me! :O

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

A lady just gave me some. I gave her an Agave and she responded with this. Either she felt she had to give me something in return, or she doesn't like me. I sealed them in a plastic bag and put them in the trash.

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cool...thanks for all the info/help. =) Here's a picture of them I took yesterday.

{{gwi:530854}}

- Steve

• rosemariero6
    13 years ago

Laughing about Hoovb's "gift"--let's hope she just wanted to give you something in return. :)

Steve, that is Kalanchoe x houghtonii, looking good! I would suggest once they grow the babies (plantlets) on the leaves, that you segregate them...move them as FAR away from other pots as you can! :P

• wallydraigle
    13 years ago

They had some of this stuff at the conservatory in Rochester. I doubt that they meant to have it there, but probably hitchhiked in on something else, but it has escaped and was behind tables and growing between walls and stuff.

Anyway, back in a corner somewhere, one of the plantlets had fallen onto a piece of metal like a window sill or something, and it was growing in a rust spot. I kid you not. It was just growing on the bare metal like that. The little spot of rust held onto enough moisture to keep it going, and there it was.

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

For Heavens Sake! Listen to the above advise, I have heard of them growing in Montana, I have one called B. 'Moullee' I don't know where it came from, probably some soil from a gift. They are interesting and do develope some nice colors. Give the extra plants away to some 1st graders. I just two right now, any one want one? Norma

• wiccadgardener
    13 years ago

I must be weird, I LOVE these plants! I planted the diagramontiana in my front yard. It's fighting with the variegated wormwood and the Four O Clocks to see who can take over the yard. It's winning. My fault, I can't bring myself to just throw the babies away and I've run out of people to give them to. A couple of years ago I was afraid my tubiflora had died out, but luckily found some babies growing in other pots (and one growing in a crevice in the plastic shelf). I'm looking for variegated varieties of these plants if anyone knows a source :)

• beachplant
    13 years ago

These will grow anywhere, there is a stand of them on the beach across from Jack in the box here, they look terrific when they bloom. Survived hurricane Ike and 12' of salt water over them, they were underwater at least 48 hours.
    Some of the ones in my yard died in our freeze this winter. But there are babies in the gutters, the cracks of the sidewalk, between the boards on the front porch.....
    Tally HO!

• cfillinger
    10 years ago

Locally these are escape artists, have several growing in the bark crevices of oak trees. Literally mow them down, they beat the crack of dawn coming back up. So at least in south Texas the care needed is ignore them , abuse them, leave out in the weather and mow regularly.

• intelinside1
    10 years ago

LOL this post really scares me.

I bought a couple hybrids (I think kalanchoe x houghtonii ) that had pink plantlets and thought they were so cool looking. The pink plantlets make it look like something from Star Wars.

They're on the smaller side now, but I'm scared of what might happen in the future as I live in a Mediterranean climate...