Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephanie50_gw

Very old Christmas Cactus

stephanie50
9 years ago

This plant is VERY OLD (16+years). A large part fell off last week. This plant did not bloom this year and not being a "gardner" I am at a loss how to salvage and what exactly to do. Is it pot bound, is it just old, can it be salvGed and if so how?

Any advice would be appreciated. It is currently in a ceramic pot which sits in a bowl (to preserve the wooden pedestal). Also a northern exposure with some very late afternoon sun

Thank you!

Comments (8)

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

It's dry North will be okay but also iffy over summer....
    Water it back in over a course of a few days then establish a regular watering/feeding schedule

Mid fall when any sun would be unable to reach it would suggest south east or south west

• mingtea
    9 years ago

A repot-prune may be in order. They don't mind being a little pot bound but new cactus soil would probably have more nutrient and pruning dead roots and shoots would allow room in the soil for some water retention. Bright filtered light, water when the soil is dry. Give away some pruned bits to someone planty and you have backup in case the big one ever goes.

-Ming

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

First order of business is to get it rehydrated. Do so with little sips of water, over the course of a few days as Nomen mentioned. Then, next month or so, re-pot around Mother's Day. These plants do so much better in a bark-based mix such as Orchid Mix/Orchid Bark. It will also need a better light exposure. Mine is in an east/south window during the Winter, and outdoors in bright shade during the Summer.

If the woody trunks are soft or rotten, those trunks should be tossed!

Josh

• Christine
    9 years ago

Sixteen seems very old for a houseplant, but your Christmas Cactus is just a kid. There are some over 100 years old that have been passed down from generation to generation!

When mine get dried out when I'm gone for a long time they rebound quicker when I mist them frequently in addition to watering the roots. You might try misting also.

• stephanie50
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Can I put this plant outside in very eastern NC and leave out until fall? We get very humid weather and I have a crepe myrtle that is SSEwith bright filtered shade. I am unsure if summer rainfalls will be too mch water. Please advise.
    Thx to all for your feedback and suggestions
    Stephanie

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

It depends on your potting soil. If it, too, is 16 years old and collapsed, it will not drain well and that could be too much water.

tj

• stephanie50
    Original Author
    9 years ago

New potting soil (miracle grow for cacti/succulents) done this week

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

I don't know your night temps, so can't so speak to putting it outside 'til Fall.

But these are tropical cacti (grow in forest w/ LOTS of humidity) so Summer Rains should be OK, BUT, I'd hang them in the trees, not leave them out open & unprotected from rain or direct sunlight. These plants DO NOT WANT direct sun & can burn from it.

Even tho' you used C&S soil, you;'ll still need to add a lot of perlite to it, like 30-50%. Next time I'd use African Voilet (AV) soil, it's lighter & fluffier & still needs perlite added too.

C&S mix is too heavy & lean for these plants, I learned that the hard way & switched to using AV mix w/ perlite & some park thrown in. Works well indoors in NYC where I am, w/ all Western exposures.