Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cactus is turning red

Posted by GardenHelp PA (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 15:34

I have a disocactus Ramolosus. It was bought last month and the leaves were a healthy green. Now they are turning red. I researched it online and the more light the cactus receives the brighter red it turns. I can't seem to find out if the bright light is bad for the cactus. Is it okay turning red, or should I put it in more shade?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cactus is turning red

Bright light is great for cacti that are accustomed to bright light. Not so much for those that are not. Red is an indicator of stress. If it's just a mild blush, I might leave it be, to get used to its new environment. Else I might tone it down a bit for the time being.

o
RE: Cactus is turning red

As GermanStar said, it might be a sign of stress.

I found one site that says Disocactus ramulosus turns red in high light. See link below.

A new shoot on my Epiphyllum is all bright red...but it is definitely stressed. :P

Here is a link that might be useful: Disocactus ramulosus

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here