Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

What is this prickly thing I'm fostering?

Is this what people call century plant? I don't want this, but when I find someone who does, I'd like to tell them at least the genus.

TIA!

Comments (8)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's very stiff, waxy, the prickly things are mean. Here's the growth tip. Lived outside on a chair all winter. Hope I find it a home soon, I just want the pot.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

a variegated Agave of some sort (the teeth & spiky points are the giveaway). I'd get it out of that mix ASAP!!! Ya tired of hearing me say that yet?

Original Author
    11 years ago

Not at all, appreciate the advice! And the ID. Man, I don't think that's a mix, I think that's just grit from the air/wind. House next to DH's Mom is empty and she said the guy said when he left, take whatever was outside, including the plants. (Also dug up a big Poinsettia but had to ask for DH's help and he was pretty rough, jury's out on that yet...)

This apparent Agave is baking on the front steps, not being watered...

Now that I know what it is, I'll ask around but it's going to the curb in a nursery pot if nobody I know wants it. This thing makes me bleed, butcher knife's coming out. It could only lead to heartbreak and band-aids!

• FrugalFanny
    11 years ago

Yes, Agaves are mean, but lots of people love them:) I'm sure somebody will take it off your hands!

FF

• 123Greta
    11 years ago

Aw... That's too bad. I love this plant! Hope you find someone to rescue it. :)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Never did find a home for this thing locally, too big/inflexible to mail. I also didn't repot it though I did pull it out and add more soil to the bottom. Since it started getting frosty at night, mid-Nov, I moved it under the porch roof so it wouldn't get wet from rain. Just checked on it, still feels firm, looks OK after being outside for 14 degrees as a low, and for about 48 hours below freezing, sitting under mini garden which I covered with a sheet for the past few days/nights. Probably wasn't necessary to put it under there, but it was windy enough that it could have blown off of the porch.

I guess I'll put it in the yard near the Opuntias this spring. Trimming around a group of pricklies is hardly harder than trimming around a single kind, right? Someday it'll make a giant-tall cool flower, right? These are not uncommon to see in the ground around here. I just need to get rid of some grass for these dry guys that are hardy here, where I was able to see this summer won't be under water during a flood. This guy would probably be dead if I had put it in the ground where I was thinking months ago, ended up being a lake for days, many times.

I haven't needed a band-aid yet, but stabbed myself in the butt a bunch of times, squatting down to look at other plants near this one. Luckily, never a bullseye!

• ChasingCenturies (Arizona 9b)
    10 years ago

Best guess is a slightly etiolated A. americana marginata. It's gonna get big.... But don't sweat it, it isn't near as mean as your Opuntia -- what is?

BTW, if you ever want to try a lovely, hardy and 100% spineless Agave, try A. bracteosa. There are other spineless Agaves, but most are quite tender.

{{gwi:531452}}

Original Author
    10 years ago

TY! Lovely plant. The one behind looks like a biter. Nice green rock too.

It really is dangerous to bring home plants you don't really want. Next thing you know, you want to keep it. At least this can stay outside.