Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plant_junkie

A few new plants need IDs please

plant_junkie
13 years ago

Most of these I have a fairly good idea what they may be but would like a second opinion before I mark them.

I saw this haworthia attenuata and it seemed be lighter in color than the others I have. The base is almost completely white. Possibly a variegate?

{{gwi:531683}}

Another Haworthia I think might be mixed with the attenuata. The leaves are very thick and they have striated variegation on the leaves.

{{gwi:531684}}

This next one I got at the Botanical gardens. I belive it may be a Gymnocalycium mahonavichii, but I am unsure.

{{gwi:531685}}

On a side note I would like to share that I have recieved my very first large crassula ovata cutting! There is a travel agency next to my work that had this massive plant. I got the gall to go in there and ask for a cutting. They were very nice and told me to take as much as I like. But they also convinced to climb a 18 foot ladder(aka widow maker) to change some bulbs in exchange for the cuttings. The things we do for our plants huh? Here is a photo of my score

{{gwi:531686}}

I plan on waiting about a month or so before proping it up for rooting. Then after it has established itself i will prune it down to make it more compact.

TIA

Steve

PS sorry for the huge pictures I havent figured out how to make them smaller.

Comments (11)

• rosemariero6
    13 years ago

Congrats on your Crassula cutting! A few light bulbs to change? Seems like a good deal!

I'd say the 1st is not variegated. It looks like it was kept in shade too long. Haworthia attenuata ssp. attenuata to me.

2nd looks variegated -Not sure which Haworthia species, though.

3rd, Gymnocalycium mihanovichii...but which variety? Pink or yellow bloom will help to tell...see the site linked below. Check out the links there.

(I like very large pix vs. the postage stamps, but they do make it harder on those with dial-up internet. You could try using Photobucket or Picasa.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Gymnocalycium mihanovichii var.

• plant_junkie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Drats! I thought I had something here lol. I saw the base was white and thought to myself, "Just on the off chance that it is variegated, I should get it." Oh well. I will love it the same.

The second one I have a feeling it must be a hybrid of some sort. There were non-variegated varieties there as well. All with thick leaves and had the white bumps and lines like an attenuata but its shape and growth pattern is slightly different.

I have a feeling the Gymno is going to have pink flowers. It has three buds forming and they are pink in color almost a hot pink. Never seen buds this color before.

I use photbucket for my image hosting but still have not figured out a way to reduce the size of the photos. I know these huge pics make it very difficult to load the page. I will have to talk to some of my more techno saavy friends to figure this out.

I will also post some pics of my crassula cutting in the near future. Im really excited to do this. I have a feeling this winter is going to be tough for me...I have a tendency to get antsy.

Steve

• rosemariero6
    13 years ago

Steve,
    I love variegated plants & would have bought it too...just in case! :) Time will tell if it is or not.

If your Gymno has pink blooms coming, then it's probably G. m. ssp. friedrichii.

Okay....mini Photobucket lesson ahead...

at PB, go to your page called My Home,
    then to Account Settings (at the top right).
    Once there, in the section called Album Settings
    click on "link options" (blue lettering)

to use thumbnails here at GW, you need to click a checkmark in the box next to "HTML for websites & blogs for clickable thumbnails
    (other forums-like thegardenforums & cactiguide- use the IMG option)
    click the SAVE button

Then click the SAVE button (top of page)

You should then be able to go back to whatever photos you want to post-either see the links under each photo or when you mouseover them. Right click & copy, then paste into your post.

Here are a few of mine:
    {{gwi:531687}} {{gwi:531688}} {{gwi:531689}} {{gwi:531691}}
    I'd better stop. Easy to get carried away. :)

There you go! Try it out!

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

You have two H. attenuatae the light colored one may be the variegated one, when you give it some sun gradually the leaves may turn pink at the bottom. The Crassula looks like what we call the C. ovata 'Calilf. form' it may never get red edges.
    The cactus looks to me as a name that I haven't thought of since I was nine year old. I even rememer the nursery where it was purchased. It is 'Bishops Hat' 'Cap'? I will not proff this as I have my own editor's and that their job to do. Norma

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

The first one may be H. attenuata variegated if it developes pink at the base of the leaves on the inside with more light given gradually.
    The second one may be H. heidelbergensis variegated I
    have both of these plants.
    The Crassula is what we call her the Crassula ovata, Calif.form with no red edges. The leaves look the right size, but I can't tell size with pictures.
    The cactus I believe to be what I called 'Bishop's Hat' or 'Cap' don't remember it's been too many year and I don't have the plant any more. Did not proof because I have two proof readers and it is two late tonight to take the time. I had editor's that proof read for me when I wrote small articles. Norma

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

I think the Jade has dark green elongated leaves from lack of light in its old location.
    Once it is rooted and slowly acclimated to sunlight, the leaves will round out, turn a
    paler green, and will almost assuredly develop red margins.

Josh

• plant_junkie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

{{gwi:531692}}{{gwi:531693}}{{gwi:531694}}

Oh how fun! Thank you for the walk through! I would have never figured that out. No longer will I have to post with monster sized pics :) These are a few pics of blooms Ive had thus far this season. Hope you enjoy!

Thank you norma for your id's. I now feel confident enough to mark them. Haworthia's have been growing on me recently. I have a feeling this is going to be my flavor of the season.

The Crassula was in a window that got good light but many parts were stretching for light because it was never rotated. I happened to take the cutting from the side facing away from the window. It was the smallest branch. I didnt want to take more than what was given to me. Although I find it interesting that this variety may not get red edges. As far as I can remember, none of the leaves facing the window had red margins. Only time and better light will tell :)

Thank you everyone for your input!

Steve

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

I notice that plants turn color because it is cold as well, to protect themselves from the cold. You will notice that Kalanchoe does exactly that. We don't get that cold here, but that is what they do as well. The next step is that the leaves turn brown and fall off. Just like the Winter trees turning color in the fall in New England, then go dorment dropping all of their leaves. My Liquid Uber leaves turn yellow to orange, red, then rust and off they come. Dogs and Cats are molting now, because summer is on the way. I forgot when the Canaries do it. Norma

• blutarski
    13 years ago

hey, next time you want cuttings, e-mail me! I hate heights and would've saved you a trip up a ladder.

I would suggest pruning all the foliage from your jade cutting. When it grows back, the leaves will be rounder and more compact (if given enough light.)

• rosemariero6
    13 years ago

Steve, I'm not sure which links you copied to insert your thumbnails, but they aren't clickable thumbnails for me. (which would take the user to a larger photo)
    Glad you were able to have success inserting smaller pix, though! Pretty bloomers you have there!

Taking another look at your original plant pix, your 2nd Haw looks like a variegated Haworthia glauca var. herrei. (nowhere near looking like heidelbergensis) Ref. bk. Haworthia for the Collector by Rudolf Schulz.

• plant_junkie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ill have to keep my eyes peeled this winter and see if the get the red margins. Either way Im happy with the cutting. I cant wait to see what it looks like after I cut it back.

Thanks blutarski for that generous offer! If I am in need I will most certainly send you an email. Its was a bit frightening up there on that ladder. And to top it off they were some funky design Ive never seen before. Needless to say I was sweating like I was diffusing a time bomb.

Would you suggest waiting until the cutting has established a good set of roots before trimming it back or does it matter. I was planning on waiting for a good root system before giving it a haircut. Im going to hack it back pretty heavily to shrink it done a bit. What do you suggest? This is my first large cutting. I have started C. ovata from tip cuttings before. I assumed it would just be a larger scale than that.

As soon as I posted I checked the thumbnails and sure enough they arent clickable. When I pasted the IMG code into the post, it wouldnt show the pictures in the preview screen. Just a bunch of computer garble. I have a few friends that are on the geek squad and hopefully they can help me figure this out.

Thank you for the complaiments on my photos. The first is Notocactus leninghuasii, the second is Chamaelobvia 'Rose Quartz' and the third is of Gymnocalycium baldianum. I love these little guys. My Rebutia muscula is pumping out some blooms now.

Haworthia glauca var. herrei, i think, may be a closer match.

Thanks everyone!
    Steve

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler