Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Desert Rose...Near Death Accident

Posted by puglvr1 9a Central FL (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 30, 10 at 15:55

I've had this DR for about 5 yrs? This winter with the extreme cold FL weather we've had it spent a lot of time in the garage. I won't bore you with all the details, but sometime in Feb. my DR had a near death experience involving my DH and the automatic garage door. Although it was purely an accident...it was not pretty...it took me this long to be able to talk about it,lol...I was very upset as you can imagine...I love this DR!

About one fifth of the branch broke off and DH tied it with some twine to try and "fuse" it back together...it didn't work. Eventually I had to break the piece off which left a huge hole. I added cinnamon as that is what I've read here for trying to fight off rot?

Any way it seems to be healing now appx. 8 weeks later. I just checked it and felt the whole area, there doesn't seem to be any soft spots...everything seems hard. Is there anything else I need to do for it or add? Thanks for any help and advise .

March 27, 2010

Taken today...from this angle you can't even tell but almost 1/5 of the back is completely bare :o(

Taken today

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Desert Rose...Near Death Accident

I can't help you but to say that is purely tragic

o

Nancy,
I offer my full sympathy!
You've done a fine job, and I think it's healing...

Josh

o

Such a shame, a beautiful DR!

It might grow little rootlet stumps around the top of the wound. If so, you could maybe somehow grow some roots to cover the scar. Lean something flat against the caudex, a piece of heavy thick plastic cut in a curve to match the wound, to fit where the rootlet stubs are,--- if there appear rootlet stubbs, and give them access to soil down into the pot. Then once well rooted into the pot, gradually wash away the soil. Zat make any sense??

o

Wow, what a shame! I always admired your plant ever since I saw a photo of it. But it could have been worse, I would be thankful most of the plant is OK. I've had accidents with my plants too, it's bound to happen when one has lots of plants.

Best of luck with it!

Christopher

o

It looks amazing from the 'scarless' angle pug, I am ridiculously jealous!

o

Thanks so much for the sympathies and kind comments everyone. Much appreciated!

Josh, you have company (referring to your frozen Jade), unfortunately things happen to our plants that we don't wish for :o(

I still love this plant, accidents do happen and we move on, I just want the plant to heal and continue to live. If that happens I will be thrilled...

Malamola...thanks for the advise, I will keep an extra eye out. Hopefully the wound will completely heal and scar over. That's the best I can hope for.

o

I am sorry for the accident. But glad it still alive and well. I am newest member of this website, but I do love desert rose. Infact, I had plenty to share. I wanted to post my pictures of this website to share with you all, but because so new, I need to learn how to use it first. I hope you to guide me along the way.
I have some right now ready to bloom. Marie from Houston Texas

o

Thanks Marie! Welcome to the forum!! I've attached a link below on how to post pictures that someone from GW was kind enough to post...hope it helps you. Would love to see pictures of your Desert rose.

Here's mine taken a couple of days ago...its really putting on some blooms now!

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Post Pictures on GW

o

HI Nancy,
Your desert rose is fanastic, I am glad for you that it didn't die from the accident...the flower show is great...
thanks for posting the update,,,,linda

o

now it has some added character and a story! i'm sure in a few years the scar will be less noticeable.

o

While I don't grow or know this plant, it fascinates me that while it took a heavy hit in injury, the plant seems no worse for it, nor did it seem to have interferred w/ the plant's general health or blooming.

You must be doing something VERY right Pug (above & beyond how I always raz ya abt living in FLA).

Magnificent bloom & pix (TFS), may it continue its excellent recovery.

o

I had this desert rose in 2004. This was one of my 2008 photo. I had so much more to show, but still learning to do first picture.

o

Thank you Linda, blutarsky and Pirate Girl for the nice compliments and well wishes.

Blutarsky I like the sound of my DR having character, thanks!

Marie, I'm sure you'll get the hang of posting pictures soon.

o
RE: My Desert Rose... Near Death Accident

Photobucket

o

ltran54, what a GORGEOUS Desert Rose!! I love the two different colors on it...I'm assuming you grafted the pink on the white or are those two different plants that grew together? Thanks for posting the picture...it is really a beautiful plant.

o

Hello puglvr1, I bought this plant grafted 2 years ago. It died last year. This year I bought 3 bigger pots and 6 smaller pots. Total, I had about 20 pots. Also 120 babies. The seeds from Thai Land are very exotic color, double, and unusual. But I have to wait until next summer for them to bloom to see what they are. Last year we had a very bad winter and I killed over 100 smaller ones and 4 big pots.
In my collection I had 3 pots with 5-7 grafted, but they so early to tell how many colors on each plant. I will slowly post many of my beautiful pix to show you how crazy I am about desert rose.

o

I'm so sorry to hear that you lost some of your Desert roses. I feel your pain...we've had a very unusually brutal winter here in FL also...lost several of my plants. Hope we don't have another repeat for 30+ years,lol...Looking forward to more pics of your DR. Sounds like you have an addiction to them. I know the feeling, I have so many plant addictions I need to go to therapy :o)

o

Photobucket
My back yard...
Photobucket
This is about 6 years old.

Photobucket
this is my oldest desert rose about 11 years old, the root no longer there.
desert rose

o

Those are spectacular Adeniums...just amazing! You really do love them and it shows how much they love you back!

On your last picture you made a comment that your 11 year old DR roots are no longer there...what did you mean? What happened to the roots?

Thanks for the gorgeous pictures Marie! I've really enjoyed them.

o

Nancy, I came to live in Houston over 20 years and Texas never had a winter as cold as last winter. We had many days in 30 degrees and few days in teen digits. I took my babies desest roses inside, but that didn't help. Over 100 tiny pots were cooked after being inside few days. Their root were big about tennis ball. These seeds from ThaiLand. They were exotic in color, double and very unsual than normal ones that we see. I again bought more seeds from Thai Land and germinated them 8 weeks ago. About 120 tiny pots now growing very healthy. They are my second set of children. Marie

o

Nancy, each year in March when the weather was getting better. My husband helps me to move my plants from either inside the house or in the garage out to the back yard. We always thinking, "this it is, no more cold days" but we always fail. 3 months ago, after we moved them out. One cold front came, not only very cold but it also stayed for few days. That was the time it killed 3 of my big pots. The oldest DR got rotten root. I cut all the root off and now only branches. It is very slow compare to other pots. The leaves now coming in very small and slow....
I will post my 2010 pix in 2 weeks. 2 of my big pots in full bloom right now, but Houston had 2 brutal storm rainfall on Wednesday and Thursday and destroy most my blooms. I was very sad, because it never happened like that before. Marie

o

Thanks Marie for explaining. Sorry to hear that you lost some of those spectacular specimens...they really are so beautiful!Good luck with your new babies...Enjoy them!

o

It was a horrid winter! I'm in Galveston and we had the worst freeze in over 20 years. The 30' rubber tree died in the back yard. Didn't lose any of my DR but lots of other plants. The rain was nice but the wind was horrible last week with it.
Here's to a much better year!
Tally ho!

o

Bleachplant, I hope we are having a better year. In the summer, I get carry away of buying plants, but when winter comes all hard work comes from my husband. When it is so cold, I don't care if they live or die, but very very sad if one die. So I let him bring them all inside for me.

o

Wow! How did you get it to flower so profusely? I live in the tropics yet I've never seen so many flowers on 1 tree before.

o

tropicsnut
I am addicting to my desert roses. I just post more 2010 pix in (plumeria-desert rose looking nicely) check it out and see what you think.

o

puglvr1...my deepest sympathies!!! I hope it's doing better now! I bought a DR from Walmart fo $1 about 1 month ago! I have it outside now (with warmer weather in the mtns of NC it's pretty warm) and it seems to be doing well. I hope it blooms soon. It seems to be happy and is putting out new leaves. I am eager to see what my little investment does. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks for sharing you green thumb advice!

o

I do hope that it will never happen again to your Adenium. It is a beautiful plant. I have seen you posted it in many different posts. It is never tired to look at. I want to share this link because I found this person has covered in great detail about growing Adenium, like the accident happened to your plant.

http://community.webshots.com/user/nrsundaram

Here is a link that might be useful: Adenium

o

How do you all get so many blooms at once on your DR? Both my DR throw out 1-3 blooms at a time but are nice sized plants? Very stingy.

-David

o

Thanks Sarah and Jlgarden! My DR has recovered very well...even though the scar will always be there...its healed very well and has NO affect on the plant, thank goodness.

Appreciate the link Jlgarden.

This picture was taken the end of April of this year...its not blooming much right now, taking a much needed rest,lol...but has been putting on a little bit of new growths.

David, I wish I can tell you...other than pruning them at least once a year and giving them regular fertilizers and full sun, my plant just seems to bloom on its own mostly in the spring. I know lots of sun and regular deep watering with some fertilizers (about 1/2 strength) when its growing is very important.

Maybe Marie or others can offer more advise.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here