Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with my new cactus

Posted by marguerite Ireland (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 16:05

This is my first cactus ever, except for a lovely orange Easter cactus I have since last year. I need a little help here, please. Firstly, what kind of cactus is this? The hairs are soft, no spines or spikes. There were some dead flowers which I collected and they seem to have seeds in them.
Question 2, will the hairs always stay soft, I'm not a fan of spiky plants?
Thirdly, if I sow the seeds and they germinate successfully, might the flowers be the same colour as on the mother plant?
My son bought me the plant today, it is quite small, in only a 3" pot. I think I understand how to treat it otherwise, as I have grown lots of succulents.

Many thanks for any advice you can give me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with my new cactus

Can't help with ID. Lovely delicate coloration on that flower.

o

It is a Rebutia species, not sure which, and the names are always changing, but they are all grown the same anyway. They are from the Andes Mnts. in S. America. For best blooms, a cold winter period with freezing temps is needed to initiate maximum flower buds. In the spring/ summer and fall they are best with at least some real sunlight. Some species have deep taproots and will benefit from a deep pot with a porous soil mix.

Some varieties are more prickly than others, but WYSIWYG so you don't have to worry. If you can successfully raise them from seed to bloom, it would be an impressive feat!

x

o

Thanks to you both for the replies, the flower is actually two-toned, Paul, pink and white, I fell for the colour immediately.

Thanks for the name, xerophyte. I didn't understand WYSIWYG. I'll have a go at raising some from seed, since it came free with the plant :) With that ID I'll look up my plant books.

o

WYSIWYG = What you see, is what you get.

Christopher

o

Thank you, Christopher. Thank you all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here