Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Epiphytic cactus ID - Rhipsalis maybe ?

Posted by pirate_girl Zone7 NYC (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 1, 12 at 16:12

I recently came across this at the Plant Sale Table of my Indoor Gardening Society. Was no ID, but healthy.

Am guessing Rhipsalis of some kind. My first couple of searches didn't yield any matches. ID Suggestions anybody? Since getting situated at my West Window it seems to be taking off.

I like the scallopped leaf edges, artistic looking, elegant:

Photobucket

Seems to be settling in really well

Photobucket

Some of the leaves have roots on their underside, this was surprising to me

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Epiphytic cactus ID - Rhipsalis maybe ?

I don't see any segments. Are there any? It looks like a form of Rhipsalis micrantha, but I think it should have segments.

o

I'm sorry I can't help you with the ID - I am watching this thread closely, though. I've got a plant that looks exactly like yours - it even has some leaves with roots on the underside. I got mine as a cutting from a plant that belonged to my grandmother. I've been giving this the same soil/light/water/fertilizer conditions that I give my Thanksgiving Cactus plants and it's thriving....

-Tim

o

Hey Tim,

Interesting, has it bloomed for you yet? Did it for your Grandma if you recall?

Hi Rosemarie,

By 'segments' do you mean its individual 'leaves', what's that term Pachyclada? Don't really see segments if I take your meaning. Isn't it a cool lookin' leaf?

o

Mine hasn't bloomed yet - I started the cuttings last fall. I'm hoping I get a flower or two this year... I don't recall what time of year that my grandmother's plant bloomed - I think it might have been late summer/early fall. It gets red blooms that are 3-4 inches across.

-Tim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here