Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What on earth happened to this cactus cutting?!

Posted by cfox248 3 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 16:12

So, I posted a while back on my cactus ID. We had just whacked it down, taken a cutting from it to plant later. Took the cutting, put it in a nice dry place. The cut started to look brownish like an apple almost immediately, and then started to harden. After a week, it was hard to the touch, a bit shrively at the cut site. Figured on waiting 3 weeks to be absolutely sure.

Fast forward to a week or so ago. The bottom half inch was black. Not at all squishy whatsoever, just black. Still felt firm like the rest of the cactus. Figured it was just a natural part of rooting a cactus cutting an planned to plant it that weekend.

But, that weekend the whole thing was black! Like I said, not squishy at all. Still feels like normal. It's just black! You can see in the pics where there's a spot or two of green left. Is this rot? How on earth could it happen so late in the process, if so, and why is it not squishy? Did we wait too long to plant? What happened?!

And in the pic of the cut, the white fuzzy is not mold. We have a white Angora rabbit whose hair gets everywhere. This is from setting it on the floor briefly, it's a ball of bunny fur. I promise! I triple checked.

Anybody seen this before? No hope for it, right? We still have it just in case, but it seems WAY beyond anything I can do for it.

photo 14-5_zps54ad8439.jpg

photo 14-1_zps2fdc1e8d.jpg

photo 14-2_zps6f1b5034.jpg

photo 14-3_zps94d2fff6.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What on earth happened to this cactus cutting?!

I'm not real sure what happened... Did it get really cold? It almost resembles frost bite. In any case... Cellular death has occurred. :(

o

I'm not real sure what happened... Did it get really cold? It almost resembles frost bite. In any case... Cellular death has occurred. :(

o

Dead it is, indeed, sorry to say...

o

Nope! Made sure to keep it so it wasn't by our heaters, and it wasn't on a windowsill to get chilled. We've got a little square area outcropping out of the house with windows on all 3 sides that is filled with dozens of plants. It was on the floor on a towel, underneath a plant stand to protect it from direct blazing sun. It's dry and bright, and it's blocked off with a clear storm window so nothing can get in there. So baffling, considering the cactus it came from was sitting 3 feet from it and is currently happy as a clam.

o

Well... These things happen, I've had it happen as had everyone else who grows plants. :( Sometimes its an Infection, illness, parasite... Other times it just isn't clear.

o

Well... These things happen, I've had it happen as had everyone else who grows plants. :( Sometimes its an Infection, illness, parasite... Other times it just isn't clear.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here