Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
prickly pear cactus

Posted by mckeown6866 wisconsin (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 16:38

i have a yard full of prickly pear cactus i am looking to get rid of them they need dug up if can;t get rid of them what i can put on them to die them out i have a large yard and children so the cactus need to go

This post was edited by mckeown6866 on Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 20:58

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: prickly pear cactus

We do not condone selling plants on this forum. Trading yes.

o

i actually will just give them away at this point if someone would like to dig them up

o

What kind are they.

o

sorry i really know nothing about them just that they are every where in my front yard we just moved here and they were all over the yard, i don't see any flower on them yet but we have not had nice weather yet for much to bloom

o

Are they wild or is it different kinds in a garden. Do you have photos? I am in Texas and Digging up in Minnesota is not what I am interested in. I might be interested in a pad here or there if they are interesting Prickly pears.

o

Mckeown,

Where in Wisconsin are you?

Nancy

o

i am in spring green wisconsin area i think they are wild because i don't see why anyone would have planted them all over the yard

o

I have cultivated cactus planted all over my yard :-)

But not the front yard...

o

Mc,

If you put it on the Internet and invite all to come and take pads, that would be great. You likely have Opuntia humifusa, which is almost in every state and some provinces. too. After the taking is done, I see no other way than a machete, a dumpster and a tiller, along with a digging bar (Opuntia stumps are clingy but not too bad), a shovel or three and some pain relievers. You can also throw in a trident and make folks think you're Neptune as you spear a pad, noting to the public that this is the preferred method of removal as it doesn't involve your hands getting near the pad(s) and getting glochids in your hands, which always happens.

o

Spring Green is a little far for me, unless my husband wants to go morel hunting in May (we live near Milwaukee). You are in prime prickly pear territory, if you didn't know it. Go down the road towards Muscoda and there are several protected areas (along the highway) with cacti growing all over. Also protected? The sand dunes in that part of the state!

Nancy

o

Your local craig's list , Newspaper,, a local Cactus and Succulent club might serve you better. It also might be Opuntia macrohiza. That is in Minnesota also.

o

I would like a pad or two to root. Can you email me at ekierkla@gmail.com Thank you

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here