Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spapa_gw

How long should leaf propagation of fleshy succulents take?

spapa
9 years ago

I started trying to propagate some succulents from leaves about 4 months ago. So far I have lots of leaves with many roots, and one leaf that has grown a small plant, maybe 1/2" wide. It has a teeny tiny thin stem that I don't think would survive if I were to cut it right now. All of the leaves I am using are still very plump, not close to shriveling up and falling off of the baby plants.

Does this seem like slow progress to you? How long does it normally take before plants that are large enough to plant separately grow?

Comments (17)

• Maria Elena (Caribbean - USDA Zone 13a)
    9 years ago

I can't answer your question in terms of how long because I believe it depends upon what type of plant you are trying to propagate. I can share my experiences with propagating Jade & Kalanchoe plants from leaves.

With the Jade, the plants appear to remain small as long as they were attached to the original leaf. Once the plants are removed from the leaf, they flourish and branch out. It seems to me that having the Jade leaf attached as a host keeps the plantlet small. Perhaps the leaf, to remain healthy, is the stronger feeder??? I really don't know the science behind that...just my observations. The Jade in the photo were grown from leaf.

One reason to keep the leaf attached is because it will propagate more than one plantlet. I currently have two Jade leaves with 4 plantlets attached. How long? I don't recall. As soon as they've grown 6 full leaves, I will separate them from the leaf. I think it's best to look for the plant to appear healthy enough to survive on its own...It'll have its own roots, apart from those on the leaf, as well.

In terms of Kalanchoe, I have rooted many leaves and, in fact, currently have a 6-leaf experiment in a pot. The leaves are fully rooted, very firm, very healthy, and very much alive. These have been like this all winter...Not one plantlet has come in. In fact, I have never been able to grow Kalanchoe from a leaf...Root, yes...But grow a new plant, no. Of course, this may very well depend upon the type of Kalanchoe we're talking about - Mine was the common variety white flower one.

I've read that Kalanchoe can be propagated from leaf cuttings as long as a small part of the original plant was attached. I've also read that Kalanchoe cannot be propagated from leaves. Who's right, who's wrong? I don't know. All I know is that I have a pot full of rooted leaves. Do I remain patient or toss it? For now, let's just say it's not bothering me. We'll see.

All the best to you!!

• kaktuskris
    9 years ago

Indeed it depends on the succulent how long it will take for leaf cuttings to grow to substantial size...

Kalanchoe for the most part will root easily from a leaf, they are well known for this. Here are K. beharensis plants started from a leaf quite a while ago...I have had K. beharensis leaves root and grow plantlets after having fallen on the floor and having been forgotten...

Christopher

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

I try to root any leaf that fall off of a plant, in addition to those that I have purposely taken to propagate a plant. Sometimes the leaf shrivels, sometimes it doesn't. I just leave them alone and figure eventually the leaf will fall away from the plant. That doesn't mean I am correct, but I figure if it finally gives me a new plant I'll let it hang around a little longer.

In this picture, the leaves at the top are from Echeveria 'Black Prince.' They are about 2 months along. In the second row, the Pachyphytum oviferum has been rooting for over a year - a year with roots and nothing else. In all fairness, the mother plant hasn't grown much either, but it did bloom this year. The plant to the right is another Black Prince, about 3 months along. In the front row I have leaves from the inflorescence of the Black Prince. Both were set on the soil at the same time 2 months ago. One is quite shriveled and the other is not.

I hope this helps - maybe just for comparison.

• spapa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the comparison photos! I suppose I should have said which plants I am specifically trying to grow. I have one unknown pachy-something, graptoveria Debbie, sedeveria sorrento, graptopetalum paraguayense and pachyphytum hookeri. The graptopetalum is the only one with a plant growing, not just roots. Everything else is still roots-only at 4 months.

Crenda,
    What kind of light conditions do you keep your leaves in? Do you mist/water? How much? Is there anything else you do? I definitely haven't had growth like those Echeveria at 2 months. Although your experience with the pachyphytum makes me feel a little better.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

I should mention that I have a big plastic try where I lay the leaves - no soil - until I see roots starting. Then I lay them on the soil. This works best for me. Some lay them on soil, or barely tuck them into soil and let them root. I tucked the Pachyphytum leaf and it still took 3 months to even get roots. (It caught me at a time of great patience! LOL)

I keep leaves - rooted or not - under my covered lanai. They get bright light, and maybe a hint of direct sun. I am in humid SW Florida, so I don't often need to mist. When I do, it is after roots have appeared. I usually give a couple of good squirts to the soil so the roots can absorb it, but of course some hits the leaves. When the plantlets are about the size of a dime, I ease them into full sun.

While I have had a hard time with Echeveria 'Perle von Nurnberg' (no leaves grew for me), E. 'Black Prince' has done very well. I was surprised to find roots on the leaves from the inflorescence in 3 days! I am trying some leaves from Graptosedums right now. Will let you know how that works out.

• in_awe
    9 years ago

Crenda,
    Similar to you, I've found Echeveria 'Black Prince' to be very easy to propagate from leaves. I took the top off of one last summer that had gotten very etiolated (needs lots of direct sunlight!) and put it in its own pot. I had about 30 leaves from the etiolated section that I put in a separate pot. Every single one rooted and grew. Now I need to figure out what to do with the 30 little princes.

Spapa,
    All the leaves I've propagated from have taken a long time to root and produce plants, so I think your experience is pretty typical. Of course, I've only been at this a little over a year, so I'm far from an authority. I've been amazed at how long leaves removed from some of my succulents can survive without any water without shriveling up.

This post was edited by in_awe on Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 9:42

• hijole
    9 years ago

Let me just add and reiterate what's already been added here, I've had some wonderful experiences where my plant leafs have fallen on the ground and just simply started right where they fell even on the cement at times and little babies all over the place appeared on them.

Latinlady, The Mambo Kings Yeah! I've seen that movie a few times and really enjoyed it and the song "MARIA"

Greg

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Just a final picture of leaf sprouts. These Graptosedum leaves have been in my plastic tray for about 4 days and they have sprouted. The leaf to the far left is from a Sedum 'Burro Tail', and has been in the tray for about 10 days.

You can see the varying ways they have sprouted. Roots, roots and plantlet, and plantlet first. Plants are amazing at survival, aren't they?

• benateli
    9 years ago

Do you have any updated pictures? I'd be interested in seeing how they've grown since.

Some of mine took a few weeks, others took a couple months!

• twiltye
    9 years ago

{{gwi:532741}}

Sorry to reuse a picture, but thought I'd chip in. These are Graptoveria Moonglow leaves with the very first sign of roots after two weeks, no water, just sitting on a piece of paper in a box. Only two have roots, and one has a little leaf but no roots yet.

• Maria Elena (Caribbean - USDA Zone 13a)
    9 years ago

I'd like to see Crenda's updated photos on the April 27th post of all those propagation leaves.

Here is my updated photo of the baby Jade growing from two leaves in the little pot in front. The mature Jade leaf eventually began to wither and soften at the base, which made it easy to just pull it up (last week). As you can see, one leaf developed two plantlets, while the other set off only one.

Now that the propagation leaf is removed, all the energy will go into the plantlets and these will grow normally, just like the second one (rear pot) in my original April 27 post photo. I gave that one to my sister.

All the best.

• daskitab
    8 years ago

Hello, could you tell me how long it will take a propagated Hens & Chicks to grow a good size for a mini terra cotta pot? I'm needing to have about 150 mini pots for a May 2016 Wedding as a wedding favor so I'm trying to see how far advanced I need to start. Thanks.

• Gina Donaldson
    8 years ago

daskitab,

From my experience Hens and Chicks can grow fairly quickly in favorable conditions. It depends if you have them outside , what climate your in etc.

I would start now if only to allow for trial and error. I have propagated Hens all the ways you can and I've had most success with them growing from a a stem cutting given to me by a neigbor. I simply place it on some soil and let it do its thing. I only mist it once every few days. I will more as summer gets in full swing. GOOD LUCK.. And you will have success as long as your patient.

I think the best advice I can offer is DONT OVER WATER !!!!! They can survIVE underwatering but over watering will definitley kill them ..

• Graham Pont
    7 years ago

graham_pont's ideas · More Info

• hablu
    7 years ago

Adromischus maximus: 1.5 to 2 years.

Harry

• Abby Baird
    7 years ago

Did you let them have a week or so to dry before you planted the leaves? Also how much do you water them? Those impact it

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner