Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdjuice

New Pachyveria Succulent

SummerDawn
9 years ago

So I recently bought a new pachyveria (blue pearl) succulent, and this is my first plant. this morning I noticed a few of its leaves (I think that's what you would call them) becoming slightly translucent, squishy, and condensating.I'm not really sure whats happening to it, and I wouldn't mind some insight from a few of you more experienced indoor gardeners.

Comments (11)

• SummerDawn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thank you so much, I will buy new soil as soon as I can :-) I just want my lovely lil plant back to full health as soon as possible :-)

• spapa
    9 years ago

I'm sure it will perk up soon! Succulents are so resilient and you have lots of healthy leaves left.

• Jeanne Richard
    7 years ago

Any idea if this variety can have too much sun? Mine is almost bare from dropping leaves and I've been trying it in different conditions in a struggle to find out why.

• Gabby C (FL 9A)
    7 years ago

I'm having problems with my blue pearl dropping leaves too!! I tried not watering for a month and the leaves shriveled from under watering. I give it water, and leaves drop from over watering!

• socks
    7 years ago

What's the soil, Gabby? Also your gardening zone. Post a photo of plant and pot if possible.

• mesembs
    7 years ago

Yes. A photo of the plant in question would help a lot.

• Gabby C (FL 9A)
    7 years ago

The soil is 3/4 vulcanite and 1/4 potting soil. The vulcanite is a sandy, rocky "cactus mix". I'm in zone 8b.

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I'm confused about the mix, I searched Vulcanite & it's a lot of things, mostly a Mineral or patented form of rubber. Doesn't tell us much abt its content, sorry.

I'd unpot it again & strain or sieve this mix, removing the sand & finest bits of soil, they have the same issue, usually both are too fine & become a problem. Their tiny bits can clog up the roots (impeding the plant's ability to take up water) & fill in all the air spaces btwn the rocks which is the whole point of using such a rocky mix (to be fast draining & airy).

Otherwise, the plants don't look bad to me.

• Gabby C (FL 9A)
    7 years ago

Thanks for the info about the sand. I think the vulcanite is a mix made by my local garden store; I can't find it online either! I'm out of town for thanksgiving but I'll try and get the ingredients. I need to just make a mix from scratch.

• Will Dawson
    6 years ago

I've been growing mine for about 2 years now. I used basic cactus soil (no rocks, some perlite) and it drains fairly well through the hole in the pot. I occasionally just add more soil to the top to foster new growth. I used to live in Houston which is very humid and wet and it had many more leaves and even suffered a traumatic freeze losing almost all of its leaves. I kept it high on a porch and so it branched out. I moved back to Austin where it is much drier and much more intense sun and it suffered a heavy blow but it has since revived. I have now begun to propagate at least 5 separate cuttings. Happy growing :)