Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potted saguaro care

Posted by socks12345 Zone 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 17, 12 at 17:19

Can someone direct me a to a link giving information about how to care for a saguaro in a pot? I found some info but mostly about saguaros in the ground.

We are in zone 7b.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potted saguaro care

I have had one in a pot for years and it does not seem that hard to keep... just plant in well draining soil and don't overwater. Actually, they are a LOT easier to keep alive in a pot than in the ground (where they tend to rot here in California where they are not as happy). Can't help you with indoor care as I have never done that. Ours lives under an eave in winter so it does not get much rainwater.

o

Hello, would either or both of you be able to post a picture of your Saguaros? Reason is, I have one, (or so I have been told a while back), that I grew from seed several years ago and would really like to compare and get your opinion on mine. I can't believe they would have included such a plant in a mixed packet of seeds as they are huge in their natural environs!!!!
I have a pic taken the other day that I can post in the next hour or so when I get onto the other computer, so I will check back in a while.....many thanks.
Gill from the UK.

o

Thanks lzrddr. I've had mine about 5 years but am giving to my friend who lives in another (colder winter)zone. She's worried about proper care so I tried to find a good Internet reference for her. I've never given it much special care other than an occasional repotting in a clay pot. I'm thinking she might need to take it inside in the winter. I never did.

I'll try to post a pic in a few days greenclaws.

o

Thanks lzrddr. I've had mine about 5 years but am giving to my friend who lives in another (colder winter)zone. She's worried about proper care so I tried to find a good Internet reference for her. I've never given it much special care other than an occasional repotting in a clay pot. I'm thinking she might need to take it inside in the winter. I never did.

I'll try to post a pic in a few days greenclaws.

o

Hello again, here's the pic of my cactus..is it a Sagauro as I was told years ago? It is about 15 yrs old I would guess but it's raining far too hard for me to trek to the g/h and check it's label at the moment!
Gill from the UK.

Photobucket

o
RE: Potted saguaro care...

Ooops, sorry forgot to mention, it's greenhouse grown all year, kept just above freezing in winter and gets fed and watered very sparingly. Been permanently potted in a clay pot...mainly for stability. Realise my conditions are different to yours and it may not even be a Sagauro, sorry not to be of much help to you. Hope you get some more imput.
Gill from the UK.

o

here's a pic for you. Don't know the age of mine but I've had it about 6 years. It's about 10" tall and has lived outside most of its life. I don't know if yours is a saguaro or not but it certainly looks like it to me. If you'd like a close up of spines, I can do that on the weekend.

Photobucket

o
RE: Potted saguaro care more

Just for fun,heres a shot of one in the Arizona desert taken on a recent driving trip. The saguaros in the desert often look very eroded and damaged around the bottoms, maybe from small animals, I'm not sure.

Photobucket

o

Nice plants, folks

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Good grief, those are humungous, lets hope mine stays small then whatever it is!!!
Gill from the UK.

o

Those are probably over 100 yrs old so I don't think you have to worry!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here