Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
socks12345

Potted saguaro care

socks
12 years ago

Can someone direct me a to a link giving information about how to care for a saguaro in a pot? I found some info but mostly about saguaros in the ground.

We are in zone 7b.

Comments (11)

• lzrddr
    12 years ago

I have had one in a pot for years and it does not seem that hard to keep... just plant in well draining soil and don't overwater. Actually, they are a LOT easier to keep alive in a pot than in the ground (where they tend to rot here in California where they are not as happy). Can't help you with indoor care as I have never done that. Ours lives under an eave in winter so it does not get much rainwater.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    12 years ago

Hello, would either or both of you be able to post a picture of your Saguaros? Reason is, I have one, (or so I have been told a while back), that I grew from seed several years ago and would really like to compare and get your opinion on mine. I can't believe they would have included such a plant in a mixed packet of seeds as they are huge in their natural environs!!!!
    I have a pic taken the other day that I can post in the next hour or so when I get onto the other computer, so I will check back in a while.....many thanks.
    Gill from the UK.

• socks
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks lzrddr. I've had mine about 5 years but am giving to my friend who lives in another (colder winter)zone. She's worried about proper care so I tried to find a good Internet reference for her. I've never given it much special care other than an occasional repotting in a clay pot. I'm thinking she might need to take it inside in the winter. I never did.

I'll try to post a pic in a few days greenclaws.

• socks
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks lzrddr. I've had mine about 5 years but am giving to my friend who lives in another (colder winter)zone. She's worried about proper care so I tried to find a good Internet reference for her. I've never given it much special care other than an occasional repotting in a clay pot. I'm thinking she might need to take it inside in the winter. I never did.

I'll try to post a pic in a few days greenclaws.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    12 years ago

Hello again, here's the pic of my cactus..is it a Sagauro as I was told years ago? It is about 15 yrs old I would guess but it's raining far too hard for me to trek to the g/h and check it's label at the moment!
    Gill from the UK.

{{gwi:531351}}

• socks
    Original Author
    12 years ago

here's a pic for you. Don't know the age of mine but I've had it about 6 years. It's about 10" tall and has lived outside most of its life. I don't know if yours is a saguaro or not but it certainly looks like it to me. If you'd like a close up of spines, I can do that on the weekend.

{{gwi:532998}}

• socks
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just for fun,heres a shot of one in the Arizona desert taken on a recent driving trip. The saguaros in the desert often look very eroded and damaged around the bottoms, maybe from small animals, I'm not sure.

{{gwi:533002}}

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

Nice plants, folks

{{gwi:533005}}

{{gwi:98628}}

{{gwi:98627}}

{{gwi:466157}}

{{gwi:466158}}

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    12 years ago

Good grief, those are humungous, lets hope mine stays small then whatever it is!!!
    Gill from the UK.

• socks
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Those are probably over 100 yrs old so I don't think you have to worry!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH