Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with long stem

Posted by pennyhal 11Sunset23 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 7, 12 at 17:25

This is one of my not named Graptos, well, it probably has a name but I don't know it. Anyhow, it has sprouted little ones at its base, but this is getting top heavy. I know how to behead them, but don't know what to do about the stem.

Photobucket

I have another one with the same problem, and it has started a crack about midway down the stem. It is beginning to turn color there. I may just have to whack it off.

A third one, I just beheaded it and it is starting to sprout roots. So far no new growth at the base. I cut the stem down about three inches and set it aside. It just shriveled up. Then I stuck it somewhere, I just don't remember where. Hopefully, it'll grow and I'll make a pleasant discovery.

So, what do I do with this stem? Will it grow new plants too?

Penny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with long stem

Penny, the good news is you have options which sounds like you know already, I've seen these growing long stems leaning over the pot looking as pretty as one could imagine, stems becoming thicker and longer.

Or you can behead as you mentioned and plant the cut part and wait for area that's been cut to start new growth.
Either way you have s nice plant that has a lot of potential.

Have a great weekend penny .

Greg

o

Oh, I didn't know that the cut end would start new growth. I thought it would only start at the base of the stem. Well, that's great to know!

The problem is that these stems are starting to crack at the point where they meet the pot. The weight of the head is putting too much stress on the stem at that point. I'll get out there and see if I can get a photo of a stem cracking.

So, if I dehead it, the end of the stem will start new growth which will still leave it top heavy and prone to cracking. So I have to cut the stem back too. Is there anything I can do with this stem that gets cut back?

Penny

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 7, 12 at 20:40

the new growth on the old stem will be small for quite a while, you can harvest several rosettes off of it before they get too heavy. Once you build up a good supply, just cut it off, or if you have enough already, just cut it off.

o

This is a photo of my problem with the stems splitting and why I'm trying to get rid of these long stems. I probably should just dehead them before they ever get this long.

Photobucket

Penny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here