Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My cactus can't hold itself up anymore

Posted by jluke104 none (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 17:31

Hello. Does anyone know what is happening to this cactus? It seems to be growing too fast and isn't able to support itself anymore. It is in an east facing window, also with plenty of south light. I turn it frequently so one side doesn't get too much direct sun. When I repotted it about 2 years ago the main root was at a 45 degree angle, I couldn't straighten it out, but it seems healthy. Could it be the soil? I used a general cactus mixture. Also, could anyone give a specific ID to it? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My cactus can't hold itself up anymore

I don't know if this is what you have (even squinting, I can't tell), but there is a cactus called Mammillaria matudate and its nature is prostrate, which means it grows across the ground like a snake.

Planto

o

Ok so I had a cactus like that and we tried to always put it with a stick to support it, but then i found out that its nature is prostrate! :) Here's a picture

o

And a close up! just took this picture now :) I hope this helps.

o

Yep, that's a ground-crawler. Those are difficult to house in pots due to their nature. At some point this becomes an issue with all mammillarias but the ones that are columnar and from fast tend to get larger and therefore harder to manage. Those do best in some set of outdoor rock garden.

o

Well, that's a relief! Here I thought I was being a bad mother :) It's comical if you can picture my husband and I spending hours trying to figure the problem out. Even with internet research it's difficult to determine the exact type of species due to many of them looking the same. It would sure be beautiful if it would flower like that though. What are the chances of it surviving outdoors, west coast BC, being so wet in the winter? Thank you very much for the help.

o

Sorry I wouldn't know… I live in the middle east and it's pretty dry here during spring, summer, and fall… It does rain during winter here though and it snowed for over a week this year, this cactus still survived and it flowers every spring. I just checked in my book for you, apparently it starts flowering when it's 4+ years old and the minimum temperature that it can take it 5c (41F)

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 18:55

I've seen some growing in hanging baskets, where they seem to do quite nicely! I don't know if that is the one you have, though. I don't think they would survive a BC winter outdoors.

Probably the best thing to do is to ID it for sure. When it flowers, that will help with an ID.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here